When did you start your bag collection?

My husband gifted me with a guess bag before we got married. Then i had coach as first designer and i was so happy with it. It went up to michael kors then LV, kipling and now a chanel! Lol i love shopping from the second hand market. I actually was a able to find an authentic burberry bag from a thrift store so until now I like searching those stores for similar finds though I havent had any more luck since I purchased that burberry 3 years ago

You know, some people spend lots of money collecting stamps and I understand that everybody has a hobby, but stamps can not be used. I love bags, which is also a hobby and I use a bag everyday. I do not need as many as I have, but I just enjoy using them. And, if they are a good branded quality, you can resell them.
Aside from bags, I collect dolls lol you can collect anything!

Goid thread! It’s really interesting to read how your collections started.

My current collection started in 2015. DH asked me what I wanted from duty free after his business trip and I joked”a Mulberry Bayswater”. And that’s just what he got me. I said I would be an once in a lifetime purchase. Roll on 7 years and I have 12 Mulberry bags and several Coach bags. Lots of styles and colours with some repeats in different colours if I particularly love a style.

I did collect prior to this but it was far fewer in number and made up mostly of Radley, Fossil and DKNY. These are now rehomed.

I have very little more storage space and a lot of beautiful bags so it has to be one in one out now. I think I’d love to add a Chanel evening bag but haven’t taken that step.
I got my first chanel from a second hand seller in fb whom I trust. It is still pricey but better than the store. I finally reached my purse peace! My husband wanted to rid of the desk to get me a cabinet for my bags and i said i dont need that much space as I am not buying anymore. I am done

Reactions: sophiegray
Those middle priced bags are even more durable than expensive ones. You dont need to baby them. I take care of my bags regardless if their pricey though I am extra careful with my expensive ones which I hate! They cost more so they should take the beating! Dont mind your sister ! Sometimes I feel bad too when I hear my sister say her bag was cheap and i could afford it and when i checked hers its a louis vuitton and for me that is not cheap. But shes rich so for her that is already cheap but for me that “cheap” bags of here is my entire bank account haha. You sister didnt realize how you value your stuff. Im also sentimental. I still kept the guess bag my husband gifted me 12 years ago.

I started my collection around 25 after graduating from grad school and getting my first 'big girl' job. Contrary to others, I went from buying Target bags straight to buying luxury handbags. My first designer purchase was a LV Montaigne GM in black from the boutique. I was on a roll in 2014-2015 with 10+ LV bags, a Chanel jumbo black caviar GHW and boy bag, Celine mini luggage totes..... until I saw this twitter photo from Ciara...

CRY7VdEUYAAB7n-.jpeg

I remember loosing my MIND and running to the Coach store to buy this bag, a Coach nomad hobo in butterscotch. This was my first Coach bag and it started my obsession with the brand.

I have since sold all of my premium designer bags and only have contemporary - mainly Coach, Marc Jacobs and Tory Burch. I love luxury bags but can't justify the prices for the quality when I receive the same luxury feeling with my contemporary bags.

I started my collection around 25 after graduating from grad school and getting my first 'big girl' job. Contrary to others, I went from buying Target bags straight to buying luxury handbags. My first designer purchase was a LV Montaigne GM in black from the boutique. I was on a roll in 2014-2015 with 10+ LV bags, a Chanel jumbo black caviar GHW and boy bag, Celine mini luggage totes..... until I saw this twitter photo from Ciara...

View attachment 5682976

I remember loosing my MIND and running to the Coach store to buy this bag, a Coach nomad hobo in butterscotch. This was my first Coach bag and it started my obsession with the brand.

I have since sold all of my premium designer bags and only have contemporary - mainly Coach, Marc Jacobs and Tory Burch. I love luxury bags but can't justify the prices for the quality when I receive the same luxury feeling with my contemporary bags.
I used my coach bag to work. I remember when I was so happy when I got my first coach bag. I have a nice lavander coach bag and i always receive compliments. I find it funny when you can wear these bags everyday without care and with the high end ones you have to keep it away from rain, sun and you have to moisturize too. i was so stressed about that neverfull that i gave it away and i felt so relieved. Lol

I have loved well made handbags since my childhood as my mom wore Gucci, Fendi and Coach, etc. bags in the 80s and 90s. I would play with them when she was not home. Lol. She still has some of them in her closet. I started my designer bag journey in 2001 when I bought a pink and brown Gucci print bag at the stand alone boutique in Milan, Italy. I have procured many pieces over the years. I am now trying to pare down since I don’t go out as much. I want someone else to enjoy and use it. Currently they are just being admired and not used because it is either too small, too big, top handle only, shoulder carry only, or too heavy. If I don’t use it, I sell it or give it away.

Reactions: sophiegray
I bought my first luxury handbag in 2016 after a big promotion at work. Felt like I was finally "senior enough" to justify carrying an expensive purse. Since then, I've bought 13 more bags - I think I'm near "purse peace", or at least to the point I need to have a "one in, one out" rule.

Started collecting beginning of last year because during the pandemic I was working on building a grown-up wardrobe and developing my own taste and style. Prior to that I only used backpacks although someone gifted me a Coach bag as a graduation present. I liked the Chanel Classic Flap as many people do, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money, so I bought the Kate Spade Natalia instead. Then I got into Polene bags, and then Celine. Then I had a black shoulder bag phase, which necessitated my first downsizing.

Overall, I've enjoyed the experience. I've learned a lot, met a lot of cool people, found a lot of cool communities. I've learned more about art, culture, business, fashion, finances, history, so much more. I've learned a lot about myself.