When did you start your bag collection?

I started in 2915/2016. I finally FINALLY got my first real job as a lawyer making real money. So I decided to buy myself a very nice, professional work bag. I had been buying work bags up until then but they weren’t designer and I was replacing them every 2-4 months. So I decided to finally make the investment into a LV neverfull, DE MM, aka the starter bag lol. It was used from the consignment shop that used to be inside of Lord & Taylor. I felt like such a big girl making that purchase. I used that bag for about 3 years and really put it through the ringer. I actually kind of miss it lol. I ended up selling it.

Wow this is a great thread! I got into handbags when I bought my first coach purses in 1997. I was working on Wall Street and wanted the Coach soft but structured briefcase so I could fit in. That is when they were crafted in the USA and the leather was unbelievable. Tory Burch was my girl for awhile. Still have her bags, very well made.

I took a break and then started up again in 2015. Bought my pre-owned LV speedy 35's in Monogram, DE and my unicorn, a black epi 35. I loved classics. Then the Gucci boston bags joined me in red, navy and dark brown.
Then I discovered Chloe. A Marcie, 2 Paddingtons and a Paraty. Then the Prada Galleria in black. The Salvatore Ferragamo pristine hobo in Bronze.......I am a purse Ho. End of story.

Is it a love affair or addiction?

I am new and was blown away when I found TPF. you all are so knowledgeable and I love getting educated on all these brands and styles. It is definitely a cool hobby.

You know, some people spend lots of money collecting stamps and I understand that everybody has a hobby, but stamps can not be used. I love bags, which is also a hobby and I use a bag everyday. I do not need as many as I have, but I just enjoy using them. And, if they are a good branded quality, you can resell them.

I was about 15 or 16. I had Gucci and Burberry shoulder handbags which I only recently sold. I also brought designer costume jewelry as well here and there when in school. Then absolutely nothing for the next 15 years as I couldn’t afford anything. I decided I wouldn’t buy anything until I got my Chanel which was a couple years ago. I am now in the process of growing my handbag collection to a very small select pieces.

Great thread. I think I bought a Coach bag from an outlet store and fell in love. Lots of Coaches and some Fossil totes later, we went to Paris once and my daughter bought a Givenchy Antigona Small. I was scandalized that she had paid so much for a bag! The first luxury bag I bought was probably in 2017 when I bought a Burberry tote for travelling and used it to bits. I was inspired by my daughter. Next was in 2019, and now it’s been a slippery slope having acquired 23 bags in two years! :nuts::angel: classics from LV, Chanel, Dior, Gucci and finally a Birkin.

I have loved bags for as long as I can remember. As a little girl I remember being in a toy store and being told I could choose a toy which ended up being a small plastic purse. What really got me started was a friend of my mothers who had a gorgeous black leather soft pouchy bag that I have never been able to duplicate. Probably if I saw it today I would be disappointed, but everyone talked about how expensive it was, and I remember it being gorgeous. I don’t know the brand but my LV and Hermes and none of my other bags have been able to live up to the memory this bag.:smile:

I started my collection when I was 20. I remember buying my first Coach purse, back then $100 was insane to spend on a purse. I’ve kept all my Coach purses. When I became infatuated with LV something that was out of reach for me I remember my sister saying I could wear one of hers. I borrowed her bucket bag, she looked at my Coach bags, grabbed one and said I will use this one as my beater bag. My heart broke..I only used her bag 1 time and returned it. It took my 2 years to locate my “beater bag” in her home. As many purses as I have, I always return to my first love.

I've always loved bags. Years ago I was invited to a "purse party" by some of my DH's coworkers. I was curious and said oh what is that? My husband said no you don't want to go to THAT. I'm pretty nerdy and often lost in my own nerd world so was only dimly aware of designer bags, and had no idea there was something called counterfeit bags. I googled around, read some other fashion forums, and somehow landed on Purse Forum. Ah! said. This changes things. I loved it here. I never went to the purse party. I've bought some pretty neat bags over the years. Too many. I rarely buy anymore. I have too many. A closet full. Mostly vintage Coach, Dooney, Cole Haan, and a few lesser known designers, plus canvas bags that can take a lot of abuse (LL.Bean, Anthropologie, Fossil). I really enjoy my collection.

I’ve always been in awe of beautiful things.. and well designed bags are SO beautiful. Since college, I’d go through a phase every year where I’d get really into fawning over premier designer bags for about a month but will somehow manage to talk myself out of it because I didn’t have that kind of money to spend. I‘ve slowly worked my way up through Fossil, Rebecca Minknoff, Coach over the years, pretty utilitarian basically using 2-3 bags in rotation. This year I’ve bought my first two designer bags (a leather Prada Reedition in Ninfea and a YSL tri-quilted medium envelope in beige) at the 33yrs old, I’m pretty amazed at myself for holding out this long! It’s taking all my willpower to not buy all the bags now that the gates are open. My only regret is not getting a Chanel when it was still “reasonably” priced but ah well, hindsight 20/20.

Reactions: LucyMadrid
Goid thread! It’s really interesting to read how your collections started.

My current collection started in 2015. DH asked me what I wanted from duty free after his business trip and I joked”a Mulberry Bayswater”. And that’s just what he got me. I said I would be an once in a lifetime purchase. Roll on 7 years and I have 12 Mulberry bags and several Coach bags. Lots of styles and colours with some repeats in different colours if I particularly love a style.

I did collect prior to this but it was far fewer in number and made up mostly of Radley, Fossil and DKNY. These are now rehomed.

I have very little more storage space and a lot of beautiful bags so it has to be one in one out now. I think I’d love to add a Chanel evening bag but haven’t taken that step.