What’s your unpopular LV opinion?

• Thread starter MagpieInTraining
  • Start date
This is definitely going to be an unpopular opinion and probably not the right place to post about it but I'm going to be honest...

I'm over LV completely.
- The price for canvas coated bags - lets be honest, its plastic... I can't. I think this is the biggest problem for me.
- I think people are mostly drawn to LV and their canvas bags because it's some of the most 'affordable' products in the luxury world, not really because of the actual design/functionality. People are buying INTO the luxury world with these LV pieces.
- with the amount of bags they release every year, it doesn't really feel luxury to me anymore. It's the same as going onto the Michael Kors website with new lots of bags each season (or seemingly multiple launches in each season?). In my opinion, they aren't making truly timeless pieces anymore, they're just pumping out multiple bags, giving them to influencers to increase the hype. Luxury brands shouldnt need to send their bags to influencers to sell them, I find it to be cheesy.
- with the problems in quality, glazing issues, crooked bags - I don't feel that there is true luxury craftsmanship. I think they are mass produced and we are being sold on what LV used to be - not what it is in reality anymore.

I've sold most of my LV bags and kept my travel pieces, and have moved on to buying quality, leather bags with minimalistic, timeless designs (for less $). I completely understand this opinion may not be well received on this page, but I hope you can respect my opinion. I still root for everybody who loves these products and gets joy from them, but from now on I will be admiring from afar, living vicariously through others and keeping my $ in my wallet.

This is definitely going to be an unpopular opinion and probably not the right place to post about it but I'm going to be honest...

I'm over LV completely.
- The price for canvas coated bags - lets be honest, its plastic... I can't. I think this is the biggest problem for me.
- I think people are mostly drawn to LV and their canvas bags because it's some of the most 'affordable' products in the luxury world, not really because of the actual design/functionality. People are buying INTO the luxury world with these LV pieces.
- with the amount of bags they release every year, it doesn't really feel luxury to me anymore. It's the same as going onto the Michael Kors website with new lots of bags each season (or seemingly multiple launches in each season?). In my opinion, they aren't making truly timeless pieces anymore, they're just pumping out multiple bags, giving them to influencers to increase the hype. Luxury brands shouldnt need to send their bags to influencers to sell them, I find it to be cheesy.
- with the problems in quality, glazing issues, crooked bags - I don't feel that there is true luxury craftsmanship. I think they are mass produced and we are being sold on what LV used to be - not what it is in reality anymore.

I've sold most of my LV bags and kept my travel pieces, and have moved on to buying quality, leather bags with minimalistic, timeless designs (for less $). I completely understand this opinion may not be well received on this page, but I hope you can respect my opinion. I still root for everybody who loves these products and gets joy from them, but from now on I will be admiring from afar, living vicariously through others and keeping my $ in my wallet.
I agree with you wholeheartedly!!!!!!

And yet I am still stalking LV and buying LV, hoping my next piece is a "good" one with no defects!:shocked:
And when I do find that "good" piece, oh man, the quality of both the canvas(not ALL plastic) and the leather pieces are soooo good.

For example, I was blown away by the quality workmanship of my pochette from the new By The Pool Neverfull:hbeat:.
The zipper is buttery smooth, and the sewing is done perfectly! The Neverfull is beautifully constructed as well!
That is why I come back to LV.:yes:
I'll post a pic of my pochette I'm using as a crossbody (which is another unpopular LV subject for some people here:biggrin:).

20210427_180203(1).jpg

I disagree about coated canvas...it is VERY different from plastic. Unless it is abused, it holds up as well, if not better, with less care than leather. I own and have sold many vintage LV pieces, and looked at multiple times that more and 90% of the time it’s the leather that gives out before the canvas. And coated canvas is much lighter than leather and easier to care for. As for the charge that it is plastic, find me a vinyl/plastic bag that lasts more than 3 years, let alone 30. Nobody disses buying Stella McCartney bags, which ARE plastic.

I keep hearing that new LV bags are not the same quality as vintage bags. I wouldn’t know...I have never bought a new bag from LV. I don’t like the contrast of new vachetta with the canvas...I like a nice honey to cognac patina and a softened canvas. But I highly doubt it has changed THAT much. I think expectations are higher to go along with the higher price point and that as we become an increasingly disposable society, where nothing gets repaired, only replaced, that mentality extends to all manufacturing, not just LV.

And LV canvas IS classic....Audrey Hepburn and Coco Chanel carried it. That’s why I like it....not as a bougie way to buy into luxury cheap. A Speedy costs more than a YSL Lou, Gucci Soho Disco, Celine Box or Loewe Puzzle, so you’re off base with that generalization.

I disagree about coated canvas...it is VERY different from plastic. Unless it is abused, it holds up as well, if not better, with less care than leather. I own and have sold many vintage LV pieces, and looked at multiple times that more and 90% of the time it’s the leather that gives out before the canvas. And coated canvas is much lighter than leather and easier to care for. As for the charge that it is plastic, find me a vinyl/plastic bag that lasts more than 3 years, let alone 30. Nobody disses buying Stella McCartney bags, which ARE plastic.

I keep hearing that new LV bags are not the same quality as vintage bags. I wouldn’t know...I have never bought a new bag from LV. I don’t like the contrast of new vachetta with the canvas...I like a nice honey to cognac patina and a softened canvas. But I highly doubt it has changed THAT much. I think expectations are higher to go along with the higher price point and that as we become an increasingly disposable society, where nothing gets repaired, only replaced, that mentality extends to all manufacturing, not just LV.

And LV canvas IS classic....Audrey Hepburn and Coco Chanel carried it. That’s why I like it....not as a bougie way to buy into luxury cheap. A Speedy costs more than a YSL Lou, Gucci Soho Disco, Celine Box or Loewe Puzzle, so you’re off base with that generalization.
I agree with you. I was going to say the same about Gucci Soho Disco, YSL etc. There was an article not so long ago on how almost all designer brands have entry level priced bags in order to be able to offer also that.
And for the rest that @LouisGirl777 wrote:
Quality issues and increased prices can be found across all brands (don’t know about Hermès, but all others for sure). But it is like SunshineMama said, when you get a good LV item it’s excellent. And LV after sales customer service is excellent too.
And about giving bags to influencers, almost every brand does that too. That doesn’t mean that I like it, but I’m afraid that’s a development of our current times with social media and YouTube. That’s today’s way of advertising, not only for bags, but makeup, hairstylers, clothing..

I'm over LV completely.

Exactly what I Think.

Double post as site is a bit laggy tonight?

While I'm here, I've returned to buying LV recently after a ten-year break and I've found myself gravitating more towards 2000s pieces on the secondary market rather than buying new. Not much in the current collection is driving me crazy with lust. I do love the injection of colour and playful arrangements of the logo and monogram (Game On is fun) but the brand *is* different to what I remember it being. Natural direction perhaps?

Last edited:
I agree with you wholeheartedly!!!!!!

And yet I am still stalking LV and buying LV, hoping my next piece is a "good" one with no defects!:shocked:
And when I do find that "good" piece, oh man, the quality of both the canvas(not ALL plastic) and the leather pieces are soooo good.

For example, I was blown away by the quality workmanship of my pochette from the new By The Pool Neverfull:hbeat:.
The zipper is buttery smooth, and the sewing is done perfectly! The Neverfull is beautifully constructed as well!
That is why I come back to LV.:yes:
I'll post a pic of my pochette I'm using as a crossbody (which is another unpopular LV subject for some people here:biggrin:).

View attachment 5072563
Gorgeous!!!!

• Love
Reactions: Sunshine mama

Totally agree about durability which is why I kept and love my travel pieces! As for handbags, I don't feel I need that level of durability, maybe I am just gentle on my bags. If I'm going on a date night, shopping or out for brunch, id rather carry a leather bag. I think canvas has its place, but it just doesn't feel very luxurious on a handbag.

Reactions: EverSoElusive
Totally agree about durability which is why I kept and love my travel pieces! As for handbags, I don't feel I need that level of durability, maybe I am just gentle on my bags. If I'm going on a date night, shopping or out for brunch, id rather carry a leather bag. I think canvas has its place, but it just doesn't feel very luxurious on a handbag.
Date night? What’s that?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I disagree about coated canvas...it is VERY different from plastic.
Not true. The Vuitton 'canvas' is literally cotton canvas coated with PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride). It is not a secret, Vuitton is not even trying to hide this, I've heard them explicitly saying this in a French documentary, that also featured people like Bernard Arnault and Patrick Louis Vuitton.
Plastic is also a very broad term, it can be cheap and rubbish, and it also can be very high quality and very long lasting. Just that it is great quality, that doesn't mean that it cannot be plastic. In this case, it literally is. It is also the case of Vernis leather. Originally these shiny leathers were coated with a lacquer layer, but that was not as hard-wearing or long lasting. Since its introduction in 1997, Vuitton uses a transparent PVC layer coating for Vernis, making it beautiful and also very durable. But it is plastic, unapologetically plastic, just as the Monogram canvas.

Bull, Coated canvas is still canvas, not plastic, regardless of coating. Just like M&Ms are still chocolate candy and not hard candy, regardless of the coating. LVs still have the same canvas base they have always had, even if the coating material and consistency have changed over the years. That’s why it is, and has always been, described as COATED CANVAS, regardless of brand...not PVC or whatever else was used to coat the material over the last 100+ years.