What's the smallest collection that could satisfy you?

pietonne

Oct 19, 2005
Hello handbag friends! Recently, I have been working on "resetting" my bag collection - moving from a larger collection of mid-tier pieces (mostly purchased during a prior phase of life, when I was younger, on a tighter budget, no kids, rougher on things) to a smaller, curated collection of nicer staples. I have been thinking about what a small perfect collection would be, and I thought that the posters here could provide some inspiration. If you could only have a minimum number of bags (say, under 10), what would you have? I would love to see pictures as well!

Here's my list:
1. A nice, medium-sized everyday bag for work and daytime outings. For me, a Chloe Marcie satchel would fill this spot.
2. A decent-looking but tough tote for errands, kid activities, etc. My MZ Wallace Medium Sutton is perfect for this.
3. A fancy (but not too fancy!) shoulder/crossbody bag for going out to dinner or drinks. I'm still looking for the perfect bag to fill this! Preferably not black - maybe a nice blue? I don't love wearing black in the summer or with certain colors. I have learned from experience that I like a bag that isn't too mini - 8x10 size or slightly more is perfect.
4. A fun party clutch. I have a quilted blue Rebecca Minkoff that works well but would like to invest in something nicer someday. A good, saturated color is a must!

This doesn't include totes for shlepping children's things or travel bags, of course.

What would you pick?!

I already have about 15-16 bags. I have thought about trying to get them down lower but I just love everything I have. If could just choose one it would be my Coach Parker 32. It goes with everything. I can dress it down and dress it up. The color is where it doesn't really show stains. It is not too big or too small. Right now I am not working so it would not make sense for me to have a work bag at this moment. I don't consider travel bags handbags.
20230726_181343.jpg

I think 10 would be the smallest number for me. I stopped counting after 30 bags. If I had to minimize my handbag wardrobe to my top 10 it would be:
-Chanel WOC
-Chanel Pearl Crush Minis in Rectangle (Black) and Square (Gray)
-Hermes Evelyne TPM in red
-Gucci Bamboo 1947 in green
-Chanel Classic Flap, East-West Chocolate Bar in Fuchsia
-Chanel Medium Classic Flap in So Black
-Chanel Medium Classic Flap in Chevron and Black Iridescent Aged Calfskin
-LV Speedy 22 in embossed black lambskin
-Gucci GG canvas tote bag in pink & brown

Reactions: cecchetti
Fun question! Made me rethink my current collection. I have currently 14 bags but think I could do a top 4 if I reallllllllly had to:

1. LV OnTheGo GM, big tote style for work and travel
2. LV Pochette Metis East West black empreinte, a bigger and black bag for fall and winter
3. LV Easy Pouch on Strap cream empreinte, small and classy bag for summer and dining out in any season
4. LV Mini Bumbag, casual style for running errands in any season

Basicly this would mean I ditch all my limited editions and colorful bags, luckily I don't have to because that would hurt bad :giggle:

I could work it down to five (red, beige, light pink, navy, and either dark green or gray; I'm thinking more about the color needs and less about the style needs) but I really like coordinating my clothes and bags better than that!

I’d say
Hermes Birkin 35 (red with PHW)
Dolce and Gabbana Sicily (2 bags - white with GHW and leopard print with GHW)
Chanel reissue 2.55 (black with GHW)
Dior Lady Dior medium (black with GHW)
LV on the go tote (crazy orange leopard black print)
Hermes Kelly mini (green with GHW)
Chanel classic flap (burgundy with SHW).

Honestly, since my back surgeries, I am good with a small hip pack worn as a sling. So that, a nice wallet that fits in it, and maybe a nicer small crossbody for a special event is all I probably need. I would like a higher end sling, but no one high end makes one like the lulu or lesportsac so there's almost no need to look.

5 bags for me :
1. Chanel Classic flap Black caviar
2. Hermes Birkin 30 in any of blue/green/Purple/brown
3. ABCDior in black
4. Chanel mini rectangle in any bright color
5. Chanel Classic flap Beige caviar