What's the biggest carat weight you'd go for studs?

May 29, 2021
Hey all.. would love your thoughts. I love a little bit of a flashy diamond but can't decide what carat weight is going to work best. I am reading about how different settings and backs can help prevent the earrings from drooping.

What is the biggest carat weight you'd go for diamond studs, budget permitting?

My mom has 2cttw round studs and they are plenty big enough imo. Especially for casual every day wear. I think 1ct per ear is the max size if I ever decide to add a pair to my collection. Unless it was a cut that faced up smaller, etc…

No Limit Buffet GIF

:lol:

Okay, but seriously speaking; my current studs are 4ctw and they are fine for me, but I would prefer to go bigger. Imo the best way to gauge size is to look at your own earlobes, if you have small/attached earlobes your ears can be overwhelmed by too big a diamond, and if your lobes are large, you need much bigger stones.

Imo as long as there’s some visible lobe you’re fine to go bigger.

To prevent drooping, a low basket setting with jumbo backs should hold the earring well enough that they don’t droop.

Reactions: lill_canele
2 ctw for me but this might be down to cultural preferences... diamond studs don't seem to be as popular these days as plain metals among my age group and younger where I live (30s, bay area).

This is largely generic information for better fitting piercing jewelry but -

If you can manage a custom job, I promise you it is always better to have large stones of any kind installed in settings that have threaded backs as opposed to the extremely common butterfly backs most people are used to. It is far more secure and will allow for custom length (shorter!) and produce a better, more comfortable, and extremely secure fit that hugs your lobe. A wide disc back would further stabilize it. You'll have to go to a luxury piercing company that does a lot of custom work, like BVLA, for this type of jewelry, and you can order through a high-end piercing studio if they have a relationship with BVLA. I have no idea why even luxury jewelry companies' pierced ear jewelry styles remain so very ancient when there is far better technology now for large pieces. Not to be confused with threaded backs that are two pieces (like a screw on back that allows a post to poke through). You ideally want the decorative end with a threaded post, a separate internally threaded rod/post, and a disk with a threaded end to screw on the back. The post can be as short or as long as needed.

This is how I am able to comfortably wear large gold and gemstone pieces 24/7 as someone who is heavily pierced. The pictures below will hopefully show what I am speaking of a bit more clearly than just a description.

OvalMillgrainEndRGPurpleCopperTurquoiseBackDetailBVLA_512x512.jpeg threadless-vs-threaded-jewelry.jpeg

Mine are just over 4CTW and that's the largest I felt looked good on me and didn't interfere with my other piercing. They are in a 3-prong setting.

My ears are double pierced and I wear a small pair of diamond studs in the upper piercing and I never remove them except to clean them. They were a gift from my parents about 30 years ago and since they have both passed away, I prefer not to take them out.

So much depends on earlobe size, personal taste and cultural preferences.

I have attached earlobes and so huge diamonds would look ridiculous on me. I own two pairs of diamond studs, 1.62 ttcw in 18k yellow gold from Blue Nile and 2.13 ttcw in platinum from Whiteflash. I wear the 1.62 ttcw the most as they feel like the perfect size for everyday wear and my lifestyle as a SAHM.

I can’t see myself upgrading to bigger any time in the near future, I would rather invest the money into other pieces to add to my fine jewellery collection. I may reset the larger pair in yellow gold though as I would wear them more often (yellow gold is my preference) and it would make sense to have the larger studs in my favourite metal setting. I already had the yellow gold diamond studs when I bought the platinum ones.

I also live in the UK where larger diamonds are extremely uncommon and women don’t really wear much fine jewellery in general (obviously not talking about very wealthy enclaves in cities like London, Russian oligarchs etc lol).

Objectively, I don’t think you can go wrong with around 2-2.50 ttcw. They are big enough to look great/have presence but not be too big for most occasions, formal or casual. Bear in mind also that, depending on the size of your earlobes, you may be able to get away with much smaller than this to achieve the same look and save a ton of money - it really does depend on how the stones will look in your ears. Why don’t you buy some cheapo CZ studs in different sizes and try them on to get a feel for what size you feel most drawn to?

I wear studs with 4.20 ctw and when I bought them, the size seemed fine for every day wear. I also tried some with 6 ctw but then was too shy to wear that size. But immediately after the purchase diamond shrinkage has set in and and today I would be glad if I had been a bit braver back then. 😂​

IMG_1891.jpeg

Last edited:
I currently wear 3.4 tcw and currently want to jump to 5ctw. I love love studs and think bigger the better however it also depends on your lobe size. That’s the main indicator on how much room you have to play around with.

I like a little flash too and purchased Princess Cut studs in a four prong setting, 3.28 carats EACH. When they arrived I thought I should have gone larger but after wearing them for a bit I think they are large enough! I bought Levear earring backs to support and hold them in place, otherwise they sag. They are a little too much for casual everyday wear but I love to wear them to dinner etc.