What's the Alternative to Barenia Leather?

Color wise maybe gold swift maybe but as many have said before no true match but I have to say I would never buy a barenia bag for myself but I do suggest you look into the actual color gold on all different leathers.

Reactions: madamelizaking
It is also used by Ralph Lauren, Coach (maybe only the older styles), and other brands that use saddle leathers for their bags. Even Mulberry (Mabel) was made of a type of Barenia.

Graciella, thanks for noting what other manufacturers use barenia. I was pretty sure that the older styles of Coach were saddle leather but didn't know for sure. I have been checking out close-ups of various bags on line. So many contemporary bags seem to be made of textured leather. I will check out RL. With the revival of 70's fashion, it would seem that manufacturers would return to the saddle leather that was popular then but I'm still waiting for that to happen.

I look at a kelly and think that it's made of a lot of smaller pieces--not real small but surely with a good tick dip and stuff to ward off flies, chunks of the hides would be ok. I don't see other quality makers' bags with marks on the leather.

Does texturizing leather, making it into togo or clemence (for example), compensate in some way for whatever marks exist on the hide? I was told togo was easier to get.

The texture on togo and clemence are natural, not embossed.

Graciella, thanks for noting what other manufacturers use barenia. I was pretty sure that the older styles of Coach were saddle leather but didn't know for sure. I have been checking out close-ups of various bags on line. So many contemporary bags seem to be made of textured leather. I will check out RL. With the revival of 70's fashion, it would seem that manufacturers would return to the saddle leather that was popular then but I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Barenia is also considered a saddle leather, you can read more about the process here at the Haas tannery website. The process itself is very time consuming, because the leather has to rest at different stages...and the skins are selected for quality, etc...

http://www.haas-tannery.com/novocalf.html

Thanks, CobaltBlu!

It occurs to me that the margin or profit from making a zillion SLG with barenia is probably much more than the same amount of barenia purses would bring!

I got a itty-bitty H barenia card case a month ago just to see how the leather wore. I am proud to say that it has a few scratches. However, it's nothing to sniff at. No scent that I can tell.

eagle

^ different barenia pieces will have different aromas, in my experience. actually, i haven't smelled any H leather bag I didn't like ;)
as to scarcity, it was curious to me when a year or more ago my SA showed off the barenia pants in their RTW. i had to check the tag before i believed it was barenia... and certainly large pieces were needed to make those!

It's not si much the scarcity that makes this a rare piece it also has to do a lot with the leathers process and not just the tannery it is very very unique and extremely delicate once in the hands of the owner no problem but darling take into account that some countries like japan and Mexico open up the bags in customs and they undergo some hard inspections and well theese bags are so delicate it just may hurt the bag before arrival so some SM actually don't order it much.

Yes, old Coach was made with saddle leathers. I was given a handbag, wallet, and messenger bag by Coach in high school (just prior to the sale to Sarah Lee when it was still a private company, prided itself on its craftsmanship, and produced just outside New York City) and loved them for the smell and feel of the saddle leather used. I loved them even more when they acquired their glistening patina (after lots of use and rubbing). Back then, the company deserved its good reputation and had amazing customer service (repairs to its good no matter how old, and would replace with new i they could not fix it - all without charge). So sad what that company has become.

It is also used by Ralph Lauren, Coach (maybe only the older styles), and other brands that use saddle leathers for their bags. Even Mulberry (Mabel) was made of a type of Barenia.

Never really paid too much attentio to RL bags before, but I might have a look and see if they have any in decent quality ones.

Yes, old Coach was made with saddle leathers. I was given a handbag, wallet, and messenger bag by Coach in high school (just prior to the sale to Sarah Lee when it was still a private company, prided itself on its craftsmanship, and produced just outside New York City) and loved them for the smell and feel of the saddle leather used. I loved them even more when they acquired their glistening patina (after lots of use and rubbing). Back then, the company deserved its good reputation and had amazing customer service (repairs to its good no matter how old, and would replace with new i they could not fix it - all without charge). So sad what that company has become.

Creme fraiche, it is all so true what you say about Coach. Seems to me they could have done very well had they returned to their classic leathers during the past years' fashion of huge, well made leather bags. Those classic leather bags were an investment. After 10 years of carrying the same coach bag, I decided that level of consistent use justified a kelly.

Is there a hermes leather color that is a true golden-brown like the gemstone tiger-eye? H seems to concentrate on gold or rust colored leathers. Possibly Gucci makes a true golden brown but I didn't want to jump ship.