What's a good price to pay for a pre-owned but NWT City?

Hello all! I've been wanting a Balenciaga City for years now and finally decided to shop seriously for one. I found a NWT 2009 black City with giant 21 hardware, but I'm hesitating about the price. The seller is asking for ~$1500 USD -- I feel like that may be a bit overpriced for this bag, but I'm not sure since A) I don't have much experience in the pre-owned Balenciaga market, and B) I don't know how difficult it is to find the same bag in the same condition for a cheaper price. The seller is willing to negotiate the price, but not by much. What do you guys think? Is this a good price, or should it be slightly lower? Or should it be a lot lower and I need to keep shopping around?? Thanks in advance!

Hello all! I've been wanting a Balenciaga City for years now and finally decided to shop seriously for one. I found a NWT 2009 black City with giant 21 hardware, but I'm hesitating about the price. The seller is asking for ~$1500 USD -- I feel like that may be a bit overpriced for this bag, but I'm not sure since A) I don't have much experience in the pre-owned Balenciaga market, and B) I don't know how difficult it is to find the same bag in the same condition for a cheaper price. The seller is willing to negotiate the price, but not by much. What do you guys think? Is this a good price, or should it be slightly lower? Or should it be a lot lower and I need to keep shopping around?? Thanks in advance!

You might want to do a bit of research on the 2009 black, I think I've read that there were a few years that had issues with the black going greenish in time. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to give wrong info here!

This is all relative, I guess. If the bag is NWT then $1500 isn't totally out of the ball park price-wise. Since G21 isn't made anymore and most of them have been used, they can command higher prices. I've seen several new or like new black G21 City bags listed in this range, but they typically don't sell very quickly (or at all until the price drops a bit) which tells me that it's probably a bit above market. That said, if you want NWT and 2009 is your preferred year, then perhaps this is a worthwhile price for you (with whatever negotiation the seller will accept). The years 2007, 2009 and 2011 all had reputations for the black fading to green, so I'd just be sure that this isn't the case with this bag if you do pay the premium for it. On the other hand, 2009 also had some really gorgeous, soft, beautifully smooth leather that was unlike other years, and therefore it has it's own admirers and followers as well.

Every bag is unique... hopefully the seller is willing to answer your questions and provide as many photos as you need to feel comfortable with your decision, especially if they don't offer return/refund. If you're fortunate enough to be talking to a seller that DOES offer returns, then the situation is very low risk and you can buy it, check it out, and then send it back if it's not all you dreamed of!

I believe there is a black 2011 G21 GGH pre-loved in excellent condition from a canadian seller on eBay right now in the (don't quote me) $1300-$1400 range, and it may have a best offer on it, too. I'd say that unless you are absolutely insistent upon 2009 and NWT, you will have other options at lower price points (if price matters to you, for some people it doesn't) for bags from other years in nice condition. But, again, so much goes into these decisions and it's so personal, it's hard to say where "value" really lies. I would just be very sure the bag is in absolute top notch condition and with leather you will like before you pull the trigger!

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I do hope it helps! :smile:

This is all relative, I guess. If the bag is NWT then $1500 isn't totally out of the ball park price-wise. Since G21 isn't made anymore and most of them have been used, they can command higher prices. I've seen several new or like new black G21 City bags listed in this range, but they typically don't sell very quickly (or at all until the price drops a bit) which tells me that it's probably a bit above market. That said, if you want NWT and 2009 is your preferred year, then perhaps this is a worthwhile price for you (with whatever negotiation the seller will accept). The years 2007, 2009 and 2011 all had reputations for the black fading to green, so I'd just be sure that this isn't the case with this bag if you do pay the premium for it. On the other hand, 2009 also had some really gorgeous, soft, beautifully smooth leather that was unlike other years, and therefore it has it's own admirers and followers as well.

Every bag is unique... hopefully the seller is willing to answer your questions and provide as many photos as you need to feel comfortable with your decision, especially if they don't offer return/refund. If you're fortunate enough to be talking to a seller that DOES offer returns, then the situation is very low risk and you can buy it, check it out, and then send it back if it's not all you dreamed of!

I believe there is a black 2011 G21 GGH pre-loved in excellent condition from a canadian seller on eBay right now in the (don't quote me) $1300-$1400 range, and it may have a best offer on it, too. I'd say that unless you are absolutely insistent upon 2009 and NWT, you will have other options at lower price points (if price matters to you, for some people it doesn't) for bags from other years in nice condition. But, again, so much goes into these decisions and it's so personal, it's hard to say where "value" really lies. I would just be very sure the bag is in absolute top notch condition and with leather you will like before you pull the trigger!

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I do hope it helps! :smile:

While I definitely agree with the 2009 fading to a "swamp thang" green, I don't agree on 2007. I've had numerous 2007 Black bags and not a single one has faded, each is still jet black. 2010 was also a good year for black leather; thick and retained it's color.

If it's gold hardware then yes, that price range sounds about right. I bought a new without tags black city with gold G21 hardware for $1500 through Fashionphile last year (it was my Holy Grail Balenciaga bag) and I didn't hesitate for one bit about the price. lol.

Best purchase ever!
image_zpsgyxxzhkw.jpeg

That's a classic beauty; I had the Part-Time but due to shoulder issues, had to give it up. Have been thinking about getting the City with the G21 hardware ..

Gorgeous, what year?

It was a special edition from 2011 or 2012 I believe (AFTER G21 was discontinued). There was a bit of confusion when I had it authenticated on the Authenticate This Thread but "Zahara" or "Zara" did some research and confirmed that it was real,

I was FREAKING OUT the whole time! lol. Thank God the authenticators here know their stuff! :ty:

Update -- I decided to take the plunge and buy the bag! Luckily the seller was very friendly and easy to communicate with, and I was able to negotiate the price down enough to feel a lot better about my purchase. The bag is gorgeous!! It looks nearly brand new, and despite some concerns about the 2009 black City bags turning greenish, this one is still vibrantly black! The leather is soft and smooshy and has that great leather smell. I've been carrying it nonstop and couldn't be happier :biggrin:

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_20160506_183405.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_20160506_183405.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 246
Update -- I decided to take the plunge and buy the bag! Luckily the seller was very friendly and easy to communicate with, and I was able to negotiate the price down enough to feel a lot better about my purchase. The bag is gorgeous!! It looks nearly brand new, and despite some concerns about the 2009 black City bags turning greenish, this one is still vibrantly black! The leather is soft and smooshy and has that great leather smell. I've been carrying it nonstop and couldn't be happier :biggrin:
Congrats on this special beauty! :heart:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is a real beauty indeed. Best of luck carrying her in good health & happiness for many years to come!

Really, really excellent purchase. IMO this is a super classic bag and a perfect investment. Whatever you were able to negotiate, if it was south of 1500 it was totally worth it and not overpriced. Congratulations!

Congratulations! She's a beauty! I love the G21 hardware! I hope to one day add a G21 silver city I. Anthracite to my collection... One day!