What would you have done differently?

I don't think I would've done anything differently. I tried to think through all my purchases and that each one was bought because I loved it.

I do wish I had gotten a few of the old Pigalle style, but there was no way to know.

I purchased the styles I felt would not be around for a long time and purchased classics in between.

It's interesting how CL's fit diferent people differently. I bought my first 2 pairs tts and they stretched so much I had to sell them to a g/f. I have bought all my recent CL's at least 1 size down (1.5 sizes down in my suede So Kates) and after a few wears they mold to my feet and I NEVER have heel gap anymore. I remember one TPFer saying she wore a size 8 and the SA at the CL shop recommended a size 6 !

I think the biggest factor is how much time does one end up wearing the CLs. For me it's very infrequently or less, so there is not really enough time to "stretch" and every time I do wear them it's the pain all over again. Thus, for my lifestyle, I shouldn't have sized down.
However, if, as most people in here, one wears her CLs a lot, every day, to work, to school, in outings etc, then I guess it's different. I feel, though, that even in this case I might have preferred a liiiitle bit of heel gap over the numb and crunched toes.

I think the biggest factor is how much time does one end up wearing the CLs. For me it's very infrequently or less, so there is not really enough time to "stretch" and every time I do wear them it's the pain all over again. Thus, for my lifestyle, I shouldn't have sized down.
However, if, as most people in here, one wears her CLs a lot, every day, to work, to school, in outings etc, then I guess it's different. I feel, though, that even in this case I might have preferred a liiiitle bit of heel gap over the numb and crunched toes.
I wear 100s especially the Pigalle every day for work running all over town for meetings so I do not mind a bit of heel slippage coz its still walkable elegantly.
120s are a different story for me. Although I dont wear them enough, heel slippage will make me walk funny and walk out of the shoes so I buy them very tight. The only 120 I sized up by half was the Pigalle red red spikes because the patent was super tough and I knew I wouldnt wear a spiked shoe often enough to the point that they will stretch out.