What would you do in this job situation...

Kisa

paper or plastic?
O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
Well I got hired at a gas station (I just turned 20 and I'm just out of highschool :P) about a month and 3/4 ago. It's an ok job, it's a self serve so I just ring up customers and clean and stuff. There are a couple problems with the job though and I don't know what I should do about it, here they are:

1. Even though we are supposed to get a 30 min meal break under the employment standards act, we don't get them.
2. There's no punch clock, but we're still paid an hourly wage, sometimes we have to work late and don't get paid for it because the employer uses the scheduled hours as our hours worked.
3. We get "mystery shopped" which determines our raises, and also gives us a bonus. Not only is this totally random, if the mystery shopper does it wrong the employee loses out on a bonus/raise. I was mystery shopped on Saturday and got my printouts about it yesterday. The mystery shopper didn't see my nametag, and said I wasn't wearing it (lost 100$ because of this) she also said I didn't say any "extra words" (losing me 150$ and a .15$ raise) We are having a gas shortage here in Ontario and so I don't really have time to make chit chat with customers, but I do say "have a nice day" to everyone. However "have a nice day" doesn't count, but "enjoy your day" does...? :confused1:
4. My boss wrote personal notes on my mystery shopper printouts and told me she was going to tape it to the wall so everyone could see it and "learn" from it. I think it's private information, and I don't really want my co-workers losing respect for me and treating me like crap because the mystery shopper made a mistake.
5. Customers have been sexually harrassing me, and Monday a customer said to my assistant manager (a guy) "you've worked here long enough they gave you a woman!" my assistant manager and the customer then proceeded to joke about it while I stood there making this face: :cursing:

I can't quit my job until I get another one, but do you guys think I'm blowing this out of proportion? What do you think I should do...? :shrugs:

I think if you are unhappy with the rules and the "culture" you should begin to search for another job. My guess is that a gas station has it's own way of doing things and you are not going to change that.

I had a job years ago where they didn't give us our breaks either. In my case, I quit! I don't have the right to tell you what to do, but if you are unhappy look for other employment. Good Luck whatever you decide.

1. Even though we are supposed to get a 30 min meal break under the employment standards act, we don't get them.
Dont know what state you reside in but I would report them
2. There's no punch clock, but we're still paid an hourly wage, sometimes we have to work late and don't get paid for it because the employer uses the scheduled hours as our hours worked.
I would report this too and keep a personal log of the hrs. I worked.

3. We get "mystery shopped" which determines our raises, and also gives us a bonus. Not only is this totally random, if the mystery shopper does it wrong the employee loses out on a bonus/raise. I was mystery shopped on Saturday and got my printouts about it yesterday. The mystery shopper didn't see my nametag, and said I wasn't wearing it (lost 100$ because of this) she also said I didn't say any "extra words" (losing me 150$ and a .15$ raise) We are having a gas shortage here in Ontario and so I don't really have time to make chit chat with customers, but I do say "have a nice day" to everyone. However "have a nice day" doesn't count, but "enjoy your day" does...?

This you really cant do anything about. My past employer had a script as well & if you didnt say what considered acceptable you were docked. My employer used Signature Sales & Service Training anyone else familiar with it? I hated it!

Above all else, if you are unhappy I would quit. You havent been there long & whats the point stretching out an unhappy work enviornment?

^^^Agreed. You need to get your required breaks and you should be getting paid for the time you work, not just the schedule. Please be sure to report this!

If you don't like the other things that are part of working there, you might want to start looking elsewhere. Good luck!

Thanks for the opinions guys! I would just quit but I don't know if I would be able to get another job, it took me about 4 months of applying places, and 2 months of applying EVERYWHERE to get this job. I kind of forgot to mention that we are having a gas shortage right now and the customers are going NUTS. I've had customers come in telling me to call 911 because they were going to kill another customer...my parents think it's a "danger job" :roflmfao::sweatdrop: I also get a lot of middle aged men throwing TANTRUMS at the pumps because it's so busy and they have to wait. One guy started screaming expletives and kicking the pumps and jumping around....it's nuts!

i know it's hard to get a job but i don't think i (personally) would be able to put up with that crap. plus if its sort of a risky environment, i wouldn't want to be caught up in that either. i think it's wrong that you don't get breaks and that they don't have a very properly scheduled/organized way of recording hours and such. sexual harassment is a whole separate level which i definitely wouldn't put up with because its showing ZERO respect =( sorry if my words aren't helpful but i really hope you are able to get another job so that you have more options :heart:

its unfortunate but in any kind of retail clerk-type job like that, you don't always get much respect. I don't know what the laws are in Canada but in the US harrassment is looked down upon and there are laws to protect you but not always enforced. I think everyone here over the age of 18 has at some point in their lives had a thankless job like that. Until you become a professional in your career choice, its just like that. (and even sometimes after!) People are people. You need to set up your own personal standards and decide when you should leave an environment. Be honest with your bosses and co-workers too. But be gentle. If something bothers you, let them know in a mature, professional manner. If you get fired for that - you will get another job - you are young and intelligent. Take control of your circumstances and never be a victim.

i agree with everyone else!

even though it is hard to find a job, you don't deserve that kind of abuse, and the no thirty minute break? i'd stand around for thirty minutes not doing anything if they didn't allow me to take it!

and work over? i'd say no, even if the customers are dragging around their foot i'd tell them that they have X amount of minute to finish shopping before i close (way ahead of time)

as for the bonus thing (it sounds good if you can actually get them, for a job like that anyways) and raise, don't worry about that so much as getting your basic rights!

there must be other jobs out there...clothing retail..office jobs...look on craigslist.org. it's one of my favorite places to spot check for jobs, even retail companies like starbucks, peets and banana republic post listings there!

Thanks again for all the opinions and new opinions. I live in a town with not too many stores, (5,000 people) I interviewed at the only clothing store in town after I got this job but they didn't hire me presumably because they wanted someone who could be "on call" and that wasn't me. Once the weather gets better I'm going to start applying for more suitable jobs in the next town over, and for now I will just try to put up with things...:sad: They're opening a couple of new big-box businesses here, so I might try to get in there temporarily. Unfortunately though I have to work in a couple of hours...so it'll have to wait until my day off, which is thankfully tommorrow! I will get back to you guys if anything happens! ;)

I agree with DlkinVegas. Your employer is engaging in unlawful activity. Your local department of labor will want to hear from you.

Be sure to document, document, document.

And do the same with each incident of sexual harrassment. The attorney you retain to address that will want to see everything you have documented!

I hate mystery shoppers (not personally if any of you do this on the side!). As the "shop" covers the whole store, it's posted on employee bulletin board in the back (customers couldn't see it).

Just before I quit my last job, I found out I was the "floor manager" on duty when my store was shopped. And boy! did I get a low score on that shop... I read it & there were all sorts of inaccuracies (similar to your nametag thing, but also descriptions of people who don't work for us), and honestly, it read like the "mystery shopper" was going out of their way to find ways to give a low marks...

After I had left, it was circulated I was probably slacking on purpose b/c I was quitting:cursing: ...

I had another job where they'd only have 1 person scheduled, so we didn't get to take breaks either...you had to brown-bag it & sneak eating behind the counter when there were no customers... and bath room breaks? had to wait til all customers were exited, briefly lock up & hope the bosses weren't passing on street at that moment! :yucky: