What to pair with my cacao Bolide 31?

Sep 26, 2006
I bought this bag a couple of years ago, thinking that it would be the perfect neutral for my black/navy/grey wardrobe with splashes of colour in form of mostly H Scarves.
But...somehow it rarely sees the light of day. Regardless of the fact that it is perfect in size. It seems to be so prominent in colour despite the fact that it is a dark brown (sorry, I don`t have a pic).
So I want to make a conscious effort to integrate it into my wardrobe. My guess is that it will be much easier to match with autumn and winter colours, but all tips are welcome.
Are black shoes and coat to harsh with it? Maybe better with navy? What colour of scarf would go with it and tie it together?
If someone has a clemence bag in this colour, how do you wear it? I am not finding many pictures and would love some visual inspiration.

Last edited:
I bought this bag a couple of years ago, thinking that it would be the perfect neutral for my black/navy/grey wardrobe with splashes of colour in form of mostly H Scarves.
But...somehow it rarely sees the light of day. Regardless of the fact that it is perfect in size. It seems to be so prominent in colour despite the fact that it is a dark brown (sorry, I don`t have a pic).
So I want to make a conscious effort to integrate it into my wardrobe. My guess is that it will be much easier to match with autumn and winter colours, but all tips are welcome.
Are black shoes and coat to harsh with it? Maybe better with navy? What colour of scarf would go with it and tie it together?
If someone has a clemence bag in this colour, how do you wear it? I am not finding many pictures and would love some visual inspiration.
Would love to see a picture! Does it have palladium or gold hardware? I think a brown bag would look lovely with all shades of blue, with pink, white/cream, so many things!

Cacao is such a pretty neutral...I would say just wear it with neutrals (your black/navy/grey) and you will find it works wonderfully. Try with a pair of tall brown suede boots if it is not too hot where you are.
I am not sure about with all black, brown can be hard with that combo. If your hair or eyes are brown it may work.
Hard without photos.

Reactions: papertiger
Thank you all for the tips! Lasttotheparty, you gave me an idea for summer with mentioning white. I will try it with white trousers, brown ballet flats and a soft pink and light blue scarf, that could work!
And I will make a mental note regarding suede boots for autumn, Quellefromage. You put into words my thoughts regarding black and as I am blonde I think I will concentrate more on blue and grey for colder weather.
I know, pics would be so helpful, I will see what I can come up with. It has paladium hardware, so looks quite modern, if that makes sense.

I suppose my Chocolate Swift Bolide is similar. although you don't say which leather yours is. My wardrobe tends towards warmer tones and probably yours towards cooler. I find combos work best rather than a monochrome outfit. Certainly, I don't match anything with it. Browns don't tend to lend themselves to dramatic or high Modern looks so style softer (you seem to already thinking that way ^)

I think you could wear it with black, but mix the black with mid colours rather than dramatic all-black or high contrast. Greys and softer shades will prob work best. (as QF has already said). Any heathers/marls, denim, light blues, purples, off-white, creams, mauve, soft pinks, a whole spectrum of taupes, oyster, beige, cool or warm greys from charcoal to silver, stone, khaki and other cool browns.

Love to see some mod pics when you feel confident.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuelleFromage
Mine is clemence. I think what you describe, Papertiger, is exactly my problem: My wardrobe is cool toned. I paired it with a couple of colours you mentioned and voila, it works better! I see if I can take some pics over the next days. Thank you all so much!
It pains me to have a bag like that and not using it. As much as I do not want to take a loss selling it I do not want to just give in. It might lead me to a new use of colour in my wardrobe and I like that idea!

I have a macassar birkin - very dark brown with phw - and almost exclusively wear black.... The point for me in putting outfits together and considering whether they match is whether I am comfortable. Navy and black bugs me, brown and black do not....

I think it will look amazing with cream, tan and grey blues too

Last edited:
Reactions: lala28
Ok, today I took her out. Outfit: White skinny jeans, brown suede ballet flats with a small heel, soft pink gingham shirt, grey cardi. Still no pics, sorry, but I found it good looking and fresh. The Bolide matched well and was very easy to carry. I forgot how convenient the bag is.

Thank you for the tips, I will try a new outfit tomorrow. Your suggestions were so helpful!

Reactions: lasttotheparty