What to get...?

I am not a fan of the new Lotus across the board in all the pieces. What bothers me most is they have changed the setting (more metal, less diamond) and I find this very noticeable. They did the same thing to the Cosmos and I am considering purchasing an a
piece of the old inventory that is still available at my boutique. If you examine the edge of the new Cosmos vs the old Cosmos you will see a significant difference in the outside edge. For the Lotus, this change is less perceptible however. So it comes down to what you really love. Take your time to decide, it is a lot of $$ for sure!
Right? I do think VCA is heading down the same path as Cartier. Years ago Cartier's love collection was thicker, heavier and more substantial. Over the years they became thinner and flimsier. I'm not talking about the newer designs in the collection, I'm talking about the original love ring and bracelet designs. It's so disappointing to see VCA head down this path. The old lotus, I feel, has more bling factor because they have less metal more diamond. And you are right. The cosmos now have this really unattractive border around the petals which cheapens the design. The small sized cosmos pendant is now renamed as medium. Medium renamed as large and large renamed as extra large. Prices have adjusted upwards in July where we are and redesigns of their classics have seen this move towards less diamonds and introductions of 'mini' pieces. Tsk tsk Van Cleef!

Last edited:
Reactions: texasgirliegirl
I'm going to VCA tomorrow and will post pics of the two versions, side by side, to help you make your decision.

I looked at the new version on its own when I was in Milan recently. As mentioned, I'm biased, so I like the old version better. But the new version is still plenty beautiful. I have to say though I much prefer the ring open, it looks more "between the fingers"'; whereas the closed position makes it very concentrated and like a big mass of blinginess (not that that necessarily a bad thing, lol), IYKWIM. It's also more comfortable to wear when open. So, that's what you'd have to consider, I'd say.

Stay tuned....:smile:
Thank you Phoenix! Pics of both opened and closed lotus side by side on your fingers would be great!

ShyShy, I wish the upper echelons VCA Sales Management would read the blogs on TPF. I often wonder if they even take our thoughts and desires (so clearly expressed in so many of the threads) into consideration at all. Sometimes they seem to do the exact opposite of what we ask for. It is so frustrating. I am in the US so perhaps I am seeing it only from my narrow perspective and not the world view that may exist. You have an educated eye for the product and so many other TPF members too. We really collect the jewelry and have a passion for it. I keep hoping they listen!

ShyShy, I wish the upper echelons VCA Sales Management would read the blogs on TPF. I often wonder if they even take our thoughts and desires (so clearly expressed in so many of the threads) into consideration at all. Sometimes they seem to do the exact opposite of what we ask for. It is so frustrating. I am in the US so perhaps I am seeing it only from my narrow perspective and not the world view that may exist. You have an educated eye for the product and so many other TPF members too. We really collect the jewelry and have a passion for it. I keep hoping they listen!
I think the upper echelons get lower management to occasionally screen the blogs but continue to head towards more profit margins whilst hoping to give customers less for their money. Of course the key is to hope we don't notice we are being shortchanged. :hrmm:

Well stated ShyShy! i think you are correct, it all comes down to profit margins. If they did a pink porcelain VA line, perhaps just as a limited grouping, my AmEx would be flying out of my wallet!

Reactions: kimber418
Right? I do think VCA is heading down the same path as Cartier. Years ago Cartier's love collection was thicker, heavier and more substantial. Over the years they became thinner and flimsier. I'm not talking about the newer designs in the collection, I'm talking about the original love ring and bracelet designs. It's so disappointing to see VCA head down this path. The old lotus, I feel, has more bling factor because they have less metal more diamond. And you are right. The cosmos now have this really unattractive border around the petals which cheapens the design. The small sized cosmos pendant is now renamed as medium. Medium renamed as large and large renamed as extra large. Prices have adjusted upwards in July where we are and redesigns of their classics have seen this move towards less diamonds and introductions of 'mini' pieces. Tsk tsk Van Cleef!

I think the upper echelons get lower management to occasionally screen the blogs but continue to head towards more profit margins whilst hoping to give customers less for their money. Of course the key is to hope we don't notice we are being shortchanged. :hrmm:

I do agree with what is stated here about "less bang for the buck" especially when it comes to their diamond pieces.

As much as I am disappointed in VCA and the design decisions they make, they do try to improve on their settings and the Cosmos is one of the designs that got compromised with diamond carat weight.

The newer design is called "Serti Neige" or Snow Setting in English. Comparing both the older and this newer setting, the newer is way more aesthetically pleasing. This can be much better appreciated in the YG version of the Cosmos.

Last edited:
Well stated ShyShy! i think you are correct, it all comes down to profit margins. If they did a pink porcelain VA line, perhaps just as a limited grouping, my AmEx would be flying out of my wallet!
I have this feeling that they would've created a member amongst us to give suggestions just at the right time...

I agree with most of the points so beautifully stated here except for porcelain. I see this as just another way to offer a less valuable item. Porcelain?
It's pretty but it's not a semi precious gemstone.
Yes, I realize that much of the value is derived from the VCA design and workmanship etc and that mother of pearl, onyx etc aren't incredibly expensive Rae materials.
I've been collecting VCA for years and I love what I have (including porcelain) but this is fine jewelry and we are certainly paying for it.
Handsomely.

I agree with most of the points so beautifully stated here except for porcelain. I see this as just another way to offer a less valuable item. Porcelain?
Yes, I realize that much of the value is derived from the VCA design and workmanship etc and that mother of pearl, onyx etc aren't incredibly expensive Rae materials.
I've been collecting VCA for years and I love what I have (including porcelain) but this is fine jewelry and we are certainly paying for it.
Handsomely.
Totally agree. I wished they'd find semi precious stones in pink to make something instead of porcelain...

Handsomely.

Totally agree. I wished they'd find semi precious stones in pink to make something instead of porcelain...
The only positive I see with porcelain is VCA's ability to offer the Alhambra range in a variety of colours. I suppose it will satisfy a certain group of clients if they needed a piece to match their existing outfit or bag colour.

Last edited:
The only positive I see with porcelain is VCA's ability to offer the Alhambra range in a variety of colours. I suppose it will satisfy a certain group of clients if they needed a piece to match their existing outfit or bag colour.
Gosh!!!! Now this is what will water down the brand name even more :tdown:

I know they say "NEVER SAY NEVER" but I definitely will not be buying any porcelain nor paying top dollar for it.

Gosh!!!! Now this is what will water down the brand name even more :tdown:

I know they say "NEVER SAY NEVER" but I definitely will not be buying any porcelain nor paying top dollar for it.
I know, but there are some people on the forum who like the porcelain offerings and some who even special ordered porcelain items. Porcelain isn't for me. Even when the pink porcelain limited edition pendant came out and I am definitely into pink. I was just trying to think from the viewpoint of those who do.

ShyShy,

I'll try and summarise the main differences btw the 2 versions and then post pics afterwards.
- the bamboo detail on the stem is no longer on the new version, as you've pointed out.
- the leaves are positioned differently, as you've also pointed out. Most noticeably, on the old version, one of the leaves points downwards, at roughly a 45 degree angle. On the new, the leaves are closer together. I'd say this is the main difference.
- the end of the stem ends up on a different place, so more on the face up position (not sure how to describe it, but you can see in the pics)
- the centre diamond is raised slighly on the new version (unfortunately, I didn't manage to capture this But I'm going back to VCA tomorrow or on Saturday to pick up my earrings, so if you'd like me to take a close-up, let me know and I'll try)

I didn't discern any noticeable difference in the swivel/ opening and closing mechanism. It seems to be the same to me on both.

The new version is still, as I said, plenty beautiful. It's funny, the SA cleaned my ring and brought them both out on the same tray; and at first glance, I couldn't tell which was which! lol

Last edited: