What to do in case of H ruining their own products?

My "destroyed" birkin was purchased from a Hermes store, PJW5813, and I was given a replacement. It wasn't an issued of a fake birkin but something happened to it.

Accidents do happen. Someone could have spilled leather dye on it. Or the roof could ha e leaked. Hope the replacement was expedient!

My "destroyed" birkin was purchased from a Hermes store, PJW5813, and I was given a replacement. It wasn't an issued of a fake birkin but something happened to it.

In your first mention of your 'destroyed' Birkin you wrote
'I never found out what that meant or why'
You did not state that you were given a replacement.
If I am the only person who got the impression that your bag had been destroyed,
leaving you with nothing and no explanation then sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Wow
Reactions: biorin and lulilu
So heartbreaking, I'm so sorry.
Hermès offered me a partial credit if I want to keep the original, damaged scarf. It's *sort of* wearable if you're not choosy, but I hate that they are making me choose between a full credit and a partial credit when it's not a refund, JUST a credit. Similar to your situation - the scarf is a limited edition and not easily found again, certainly never in an Hermès boutique.

I'm so sorry to hear that! :crybaby: Exceptional scarves are hard to find even on the secondary market, I would be very sad in this situations. Have you decided on wherever you will the the full or partial credit? Myself I would give them the scarf back and take full credit, I wouldn't be able to wear it because of all the bad memories. Good luck, I hope everything will turn out in your favour!

Reactions: Julide
I would have your local store’s manager contact where the work was done and demand what the value of each scarf would be as a store credit, plus refund of money you paid for the service. This is unacceptable, what they did. Best of luck, and don’t back down.

In your first mention of your 'destroyed' Birkin you wrote
'I never found out what that meant or why'
You did not state that you were given a replacement.
If I am the only person who got the impression that your bag had been destroyed,
leaving you with nothing and no explanation then sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think you might be the only person to jump to that rather drastic conclusion. Sometimes better to ask questions first.

Hi,

I have no Idea what these scarves were worth before the tags were exchanged and hems cut. But my guess is, and I really don't want to rub any salt into this wound - for any "real" collector these are pretty much worthless now. Plus, if you ever decided to sell them, you would have a quite a bit of explaining to do.

Personally I think Hermès should have contacted you prior to altering size and tags, to make sure it is what you want.

However I can see that somebody just wearing these as every day carry pieces, could be OK with it. Think of it like the servicing of a high-end watch worn for years = if you have it polished, material is lost. If certain, specific, parts are no longer available, other fitting parts are used to make sure the watch will run again for (at least) the next decade. Rolex for example, is known for this. Especially back when these (now vintage) watches weren't collectibles but every day worn work horses.

The kind of compensation that you probably want/need, I don't think any regular SA can help you with that. A store manager maybe. But I would suggest to take another route:

Write a polite, straight to the point (real, old-fashioned) letter (not E-Mail) clearly asking to be compensated for the anticipated loss and also, especially in regard to Hermès overthinking their communication with the customer in such cases. This is valuable feedback to them. Write to Hermès CEO Axel Dumas personal. (Send me a message here, in case you're not able to piece together the correct address - I'll give it to you then.)

I did this at one point because of a different issue I had back in the day, and all I will say is that the outcome was very satisfactory for me - and lead to a very nice and professional, personal reply and also a good talk with my back then store's manager.

Kind regards and all the best - I hope this issue will be resolved to your full satisfaction,
Oliver

Oliver, I would love your assistance with a very similar matter if your time allows!

Reactions: lulilu