What makes a good curling iron?

e_nmn_m

O.G.
Jan 4, 2006
I need a new one. I thought that as long as it had the necessary features--like temperature control--it was ok. But there are so many price points. How do I evaluate a curling iron?

How thick your hair is, also take into consideration the heat temperature. I have very thick, curly, hair and I like to be able to work a curling iron through it to get bigger waves, without taking a flat iron to it first. (A lot of cheaper curling irons will not do this with my thick, unruly curly hair, without using a flat iron first.) I like them to be clampless, so that I do not get that line in my hair, but for some people, they don't need the iron to be clampless. (And if you've never used a clampless one before, you WILL burn yourself at first but it's okay. Just invest in some burn cream from the drugstore. It'll happen once or twice.) Also, some people prefer to get a regular curling iron and take the clamp off themselves. You can do this, I just wanted to splurge on an iron that I wouldn't have to fuss with, especially because I have difficult hair. I use this one by Sultra, and it consistently gives me great waves and curls over & over again. Worth the money, for me. http://www.sephora.com/the-bombshell-1-inch-P268003?skuId=1271790

But you don't have to get an expensive curling iron for it to be a good one. Hot Tools makes a lot of decent quality, cheaper curling irons that are good. (I believe most of them are in the 30 dollar range.) I used to use these on people in the salon all the time before most salons required everyone to use Marcel curing irons.

A lot of cheaper curling irons will not do this with my thick, unruly curly hair, without using a flat iron first.

Yes, but how do you know this before you buy one?

I did some research and ended up buying a Conair tourmaline ceramic. I also have thick wavy (fluffy) hair and it seems to me it did what it supposed to. How can an iron work on one head of hair and not the other, if the temperature is the same?

^Well I think it's because everyone's hair is different. I've had several cheaper irons from the drugstore that just didn't work at all on my hair, but I'm sure that on other people's hair, it could have done wonders, KWIM?

I swear by the 3 day bender by dry bar. They have it on the sephora website. I have it in the 1 inch and 1.25 inch. the curls last forever and it's so easy to use.

Yes, but how do you know this before you buy one?

I did some research and ended up buying a Conair tourmaline ceramic. I also have thick wavy (fluffy) hair and it seems to me it did what it supposed to. How can an iron work on one head of hair and not the other, if the temperature is the same?

Because everyone has different hair textures and thinness/thickness. Also some types of hair just hold a curl better.

I have Sedu. Een though my hair is fine, it is very thick and curly. I can put several "straightening" products in it, blow dry, and it's still very wavy. The Sedu makes it stick straight if I want it to be. Works fast. I like it a lot.