What kind of handbag to use in NYC?

cerealkiller

Feb 5, 2009
My mom and I are going to NYC at the end of March. My mom spoke with my world traveling aunt and she suggested just using a backpack so everything is handy. I think this is just too touristy. Bear in mind that I am a bag snob and my mom figures if it's black, they are all the same. Will she look too lame using a plain backpack or should I have her use my vintage LV backpack? I have a large DB locksak I planned to use but worry that it might get to heavy on my shoulder lugging it and all my stuff around all day. I would hate to admit my mom might be right about using a backpack. :yes:

I think a great crossbody bag would be perfect and easier for you to access than a backpack. You stuff would be secure and close to you and it will be easy for you to move around the city. There are lots of great designers that offer messenger styles. My favorite is Belen Echandia.

i'd actually use a cross-body bag there. you can store heavier stuff and not feel the weight as much with cross-body....but its also safer. backpack in NYC....just cry out "tourist" and all the pocket thieves will jump on ya ;)

I think a great crossbody bag would be perfect and easier for you to access than a backpack. You stuff would be secure and close to you and it will be easy for you to move around the city. There are lots of great designers that offer messenger styles. My favorite is Belen Echandia.

hehehe...same post within seconds!

A cross body bag is the best option. Please don't wear a backpack, it just screams that your lost. Especially since its chilly in new york a shoulder bag will be very uncomfortable!

Good lord no backpacks please! Not only is it touristy, it shouts steal from me. Seriously - I never understand people who are out and about in large cities with backpacks, that crap would be easy to steal.

As someone who lives in NYC, where most people don't have cars, I understand the backpack thing. Also used one, but always wore it slung around so I keep an eye on it A crossbody bag is ideal; get one with zippered back pocket if you can. Great for keeping your Metrocard and money close and safe. Oh. Don't take all your cards and also don't carry everything together, because if they get your wallet, they get it all. Get one of those passcard cases to keep Metrocard in, so you're not always dragging your wallet out. I keep cash, Metrocards and ccs separate. Whatever you do, don't hang it on the back of a chair and keep your hand on it .
Lastly, have a great time and spend lots of money! (Things are getting tough here)

I think you're gettin' the idea that a backpack is just NOT a good idea....for security reasons, comfort, less hassle and you won't be a TARGET (screams tourist!)
Also know that you may find places (like museums) that will ask you to check your backpacks! Do you want to deal with this hassle??

Crossbody.....absolutely!

So, get yourself a nice crossbody bag!!!

I agree with everyone - no backpack. I've lived in NYC all my life and I will never forget the day my wallet was taken out of my backpack (in high school). Whatever bag you decide on, just keep it close to your body. A cross-over sounds like a great choice. Plus you don't want anything too heavy as I'm sure you'll be doing some shopping!