What kind of bag do you wear in very snowy weather?

What kind of bag do you wear in very snowy weather?

• Open top (for example, Evelyne)

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Top that partially closes (for example, GP with snap)

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Flap that closes but I wear open (for example, Birkin undone)

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Closes flap or zipper (for example, Lindy, “done up” Birkin or Kelly, plume zipped up etc)

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Are you crazy? I don’t wear fancy bags in the snow!

Votes: 55 50.0%

• Total voters
Lol! No you’re not. These bags are expensive so it’s good to think through all of this. I think you’ve headed the right direction. BN is a great color, which you obviously like and goes with everything. I would keep the GP in BN as it is a great multi-season work horse. You can load it up and still look pulled together, and you’ll have it forever. If you have a lot or varied things to haul or a fragmented day, you can carry the GP filled with books and papers etc. and it will look chic with your “matching” Evelyne worn crossbody holding your wallet and personal things. You can change up the look dramatically with Twillies. So now you have a nice looking, elegant set while you wait for your perfect Kelly. Since you feel the Kelly would be dressier, instead of getting that in navy, why not get Kelly in black, gray or Etoupe? You’d have a terrific core bag collection.
Thank you. That’s a very good point Re the navy/casual GP going well together and being able to use evelyne when needed.
For a Kelly, I have a black sellier 28 ghw that I adore. I was hoping to complete the Kelly collection with a 32 retourne and the leading contender for colour was BN. I could aim for the more casual Kelly in grey or black with phw. The bags are expensive and I don’t like to have lots of stuff so I am trying to be very careful in creating the “perfect” collection and be very mindful with new additions. I want things that I actually wear and enjoy. I have a few lighter and pop of colour bags so I do want to focus on neutrals. Thank you for all your help!

In the pouring rain or driving snow, I find that my 35 Trim II in dark green Togo or clemence handles the wet perfectly. Even better than my relatively inexpensive nylon (evelyne style, zipper top crossbody from Paul Stuart, a mens store, that just looks defeated and limp) or my Ghurka mini crossbody (bigger than the E TPM as it can hold an iPad. The trim actually seems to shed the water. no idea how or why since it’s not treated. . .
my ebene victoria can also handle some rain or snow, but she’s so slouchy and soft that I do hesitate if it’s pouring.

Last edited:
I am honestly still debating this. I want something black for snowy weather. I have a mini Evelyne which is too small and a Kelly in Epsom. I was thinking a k32 retourne in Togo or other durable leather or another brand.

I’ve used my Clemence Evelynes, Barenia Kelly, and Negonda GP in inclement weather with no issues. Also Chanel Reissues and an Empreinte leather Speedy. I tend to just wear the bag I want to, and always try to dry it off with a towel if it gets wet.

But if it‘s REALLY bad out, I resort to Longchamp le Pliage or my 20-year-old Prada nylon messenger.

I use any bag in rain or snow. I only have clemence, togo and Maurice bags though. These leathers are sturdy.
I'm new to this and trying to figure out leathers. Can you tell me the difference between clemence, togo and maurice in terms of structure, weight and rain. Thanks for your advice!

I'm new to this and trying to figure out leathers. Can you tell me the difference between clemence, togo and maurice in terms of structure, weight and rain. Thanks for your advice!
All are tough leathers. Generally speaking, clemence is the thickest and slouchiest with a big, flat grain. Togo is thinner and a bit more rigid with a smaller, raised grain and has a more or less pronounced veining. Maurice is kind of similar to togo, but it has no veining and is the the thinnest with the tightest grain and is also slouchier because of the thinness.

You can find pics in the reference section.