Food What is your favorite appetizer for a pre-party?

Oct 16, 2007
We are having our last barrister's ball on saturday and all of my girlfriends are coming over to primp and beautify while the guys will be playing Wii in a different apartment upstairs - before we go to an actual pre party. I would like to serve some easy to eat things like pita/humus, tostitos/salsa, maybe some fruit and dip. I would also like to serve something that is a little more filling because there will be a long night ahead of us. Does anyone have any ideas or recs? Thanks so much!

What about some mini quiches? You could do the pre-made ones or make them. Or a fritatta, cut into slices. Also, what about making a chicken salad to go w/ the pitas and hummus. A curry one would be good.

Ah, barristers ball... I always called it law school prom, lol!

Super easy, tasty and filling? Get a big bag of asian dumplings (postickers) at the store (I get them a costco but you can get them at most gorcery stores). Steam according to package directions (only a few minutes).

Make a dipping sauce... I use a mixture of chinese mustard, siracha, and soy sauce. Proportions are to your taste... I like it spicy so I use a lot of chinese mustard and siracha.

You could also serve sweet n sour sauce to dip them in if you prefer sweet vs. spicy sauces.

Ok this isn't super helpful, but I was watching a thing that said that grease, especially fatty protein, is the best hangover preventer. They actually recommended eating a steak before a night of drinking... I wouldn't recommend making a big steak for each person (lol), but maybe you could do cocktail meatballs or something?

Also, I'm a big fan of cheese and crackers... I usually go to a specialty shop and buy 3-4 different kinds of imported cheeses, some fancy olives, salami or something, and a couple kinds of crackers, and arrange it on a big platter.

Bruschetta would be great, I also like doing a meat and cheese platter, mini quiche (these are easy to find in the frozen section at the market, and they are pretty good- I think I get the Nancy's brand). Another favorite is this Sun-Dried Tomato Jam with Crostini, which is a very easy recipe and goes great on toasted baguette slices with some goat cheese. Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_37103,00.html

My barrister's ball is coming up too! Have fun!

Cocktails, LMAO.....

well my aunt makes this spinach dip in a pumpernickle loaf of bread I can eat it forever but it is soooo fattening. Its kinda easy to make too.

What about getting some sushi rolls?

Ooohh...I don't cook but my husband cooks like a gourmet chef. He makes an amazing spinach atichoke dip in a breadbowl, people literally beg him to make it. He also rolls his own sushi as an appetizer and bacon wrapped figs are really good as well. God, I'm hungry.

Thanks, everyone. Since we are just getting ready before the actual pre party, but the boys will be upstairs watching the game and having drinks and will stop by to grab us, I will be having a bunch of different fun cocktails (everyone is bringing one) and then pita/roasted garlic hummus, chips and salsa, bruschetta/mini pizzas (can't decide which yet), some choc dipped fruit and other dip for non chocolate fruit) and then I am putting marshmallows on a skewer and kind of taking chocolate shavings and graham cracker crumbs and mixing them in a bowl. There will be a little flame to roast the marshmallow and then you just dip them in the graham cracker chocolate shaving crumb mix. Fake smores! Might also be having some kind of spinach dip (my friend is making). Thanks again!

Baked Brie! Super easy!! You take a brie round (bigger one for bigger groups)...by wild blueberry preserves (or the jam of your choice...apricot is yummy as well) and then you take almonds and place on top of that and you BAKE IT! Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes (don't let it melt but it has to melt on the inside). I love it and it's always a hit. I also like cheese platters and crudite. I use a pepper and empty it and put the dip on the inside of it.