What is your "comfort level" of the dollar amount you are willing to spend on a LV handbag?

slytheringirl

Apr 22, 2021
This is something I have been thinking about recently. I have just gotten into luxury handbags, and I currently have three. All bought preloved (I also had them authenticated by a professional and all are legit), and under $2000. I just bought my very first LV item which is a victorine wallet, and I got it from the Louis Vuitton website instead of a preloved website. Surprisingly, the price didn't bother me too much though it would have even just one year ago. I'm currently saving up to buy my first handbag from the store itself, and would probably like to start with something that is priced under $2000. Though if it did come to a little over $2000 with taxes I would probably be okay with it.

MooMooVT

Obesssed
Aug 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Agreed. The Evelyne is the only Hermes bag I can see myself purchasing. There is just something about it that I love. I'm not a huge fan of the rest for myself as I don't really care for large, heavy bags. They are beautiful to look at, just not for me.
I've reconsidered since this post and while I still feel like the Evelyn is my new-bag spending limit - I feel more comfortable spending on it. I think partially because I just splurged on the mon mono speedy B 35, partially because I've been earning more, and partially because I know how much use I would get out of the Evelyn. Interesting how perspective changes over time.

I really think, with the addition of the mon mono speedy 35, my LV collection is good for now and I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Evelyn in 2021. Planning for a 2021 Evelyn for sure!

Annawakes

Apr 25, 2016
I don’t feel like there are a lot of options in the $2000 range, excluding sales tax. I feel like these days you’re really forced to look at minimum $2500 to $3000 just to get a wider variety of styles to choose from. It also bugs me that bags like the dauphine are $3300+, even when they’re essentially just canvas bags.

eta: new, from boutique I mean. Not referring to preloved, though the pre loved prices are getting there.

BowieFan1971

Cat mom, wife, mother of a US Navy corpsman
Jun 19, 2020
Atlanta
I thought I would never spend more than $300-500 on a pre-loved bag and probably never would for an LV, but I recently bought 2 pre-loved Hermès bags for a lot more. But they are well made classics of beautiful leather...an orange Picotin 18 and a gold Bolide 35 (my HG). I have no desire for a Kelly, Birkin or Constance, or a Chanel for that matter, so I can’t see spending more than $500 for a bag ever again.

XoDena

Apr 2, 2017
I am feeling this way lately as well. With their 6 various price increases from October 2019 to date (and most of them during the pandemic), the reduced quality, and just not wanting to carry expensive bags during COVID, I am done.

Prior to this year the most I spent on a canvas bag was $2,000 (inc taxes). I can still afford that or more, but I just don't want to pay that anymore. The ridiculous prices for some of the slgs and bags that end up having glazing (or other) issues in less than a year just means it isn't worth it to me anymore. When my Pochette Metis ($2,000) has more quality issues than my Coach Cassie (similar style) that only cost me $150-200 (sale), that makes me done also.

I will enjoy what LV I have left, but not purchase more. Even preloved is out of control pricing between people on Facebook groups selling slgs like a key pouch for $100 more than retail to the ridiculous prices of bags and the obscene prices Fashionphile sells used items for, just GTFO! :lol:
Ooof I felt that. I look at the preloved prices some set and the condition the item is in and I’m all Are they for real? Just the other day I saw a card holder priced at $250 in ok condition, that brand new is $220

XoDena

Apr 2, 2017
Personally the most I’ve ever spent on a LV bag was when I bought my Catogram Neverfull MM.

I don’t particularly like LV leather pieces and the last few years besides the Catogram and the Métis I haven’t liked a lot of what they’ve been putting out. I don’t tend to buy what’s current and hot and on trend so therefore my LV collection is a lot of preloved bags. I don’t mind buying preloved and then have all the vachetta replaced

That said the most I’ve ever spent on a bag is 6k for Chanel. If I’m going to spend that kind of money it would only be for a Chanel

Suburbachic

May 14, 2016
Below 3K is what I am "comfortable" with for the most part. Every purchase I make involves a lot of thinking and deciding regardless of the price point. Right now...I did not expect to fall in love with the bella in gradient blue when I saw it at the store. Justifying in my mind I need it:giggle::love: after already getting the neverfull by the pool in blue.
What do you all think of the leather price points? It is where I am kind of stuck. I'm not in the business of reselling my stuff..im really a collector but at the same time if I need or want to resell an item that I will not lose a lot of money..hoping break even, if not even get more than retail. I know I will use the bag a lot. Are Mahinas worth it?

Reactions: MooMooVT

Venessa84

Aug 20, 2013
The Garden State
Below 3K is what I am "comfortable" with for the most part. Every purchase I make involves a lot of thinking and deciding regardless of the price point. Right now...I did not expect to fall in love with the bella in gradient blue when I saw it at the store. Justifying in my mind I need it:giggle::love: after already getting the neverfull by the pool in blue.
What do you all think of the leather price points? It is where I am kind of stuck. I'm not in the business of reselling my stuff..im really a collector but at the same time if I need or want to resell an item that I will not lose a lot of money..hoping break even, if not even get more than retail. I know I will use the bag a lot. Are Mahinas worth it?
Only you can say if it’s worth. If it’ll make you happy and you’ll use it then it’s worth it. I do have the Bella in valet and I love that leather. It’s so soft and well made to me. So do I think it’s worth it?...yes! I have other LV leather bags and I see the value in them.

Suburbachic

May 14, 2016
Only you can say if it’s worth. If it’ll make you happy and you’ll use it then it’s worth it. I do have the Bella in valet and I love that leather. It’s so soft and well made to me. So do I think it’s worth it?...yes! I have other LV leather bags and I see the value in them.
Thank you..:facepalm:still undecided. I love the galet color too! I almost got the girolata in mahina. I just did not have a need for a large bag unless it is a travel bag on top of the price.

Apr 4, 2021
I haven't really thought about a budget for spending on purses, but right now I would say $2K on canvas pieces and $2.5 on leather. I tend to be fickle, so that is why I don't like to spend too much. I don't know if I will still like the bag in a few years time, and I do not sell my bags. Also I want to invest more now. COVID has changed my spending habits for the foreseeable future. I have not spent any money on handbags or clothes for the last year. I have brand new clothes that I have still not been able to wear.

Pagan

Sep 6, 2017
Canada
I feel like I'm done buying bags, but that may be because I've been working from home for over a year now and have carried nothing but a NF (Mon Mono) the majority of the time and toggled between my NF DA and my Neo Noe last summer. The more than 20 leather bags in my closet haven't even seen the light of day. Makes me embarrassed to even own them, to be honest.

Maybe when we can finally go back into the office (likely not before September, and even then it looks like it won't be more than 1-2 times a week) and start going out and travelling again I'll be happy to pull out my bags again. I can't tell if I'm just over it or if my bag love is just suffering from Covid fatigue and will recover.

I've focused on improving my health and fitness over the last year. I've lost 50 pounds and work out daily. I may not have bought any bags, but I could have bought a Birkin with my tab for the Lululemon, Arcteryx, insane amount of Brooks, hiking boots, gear to run/hike in any weather, etc. I'm slowly rebuilding my wardrobe; I've had to replace everything in my life except socks.

I don't see myself spending on a bag anytime soon. I'm 55 and maybe five years out from retirement; the reality is that my lifestyle is casual/active. My husband will retire in the next year or so and there are some renos we'd like to do while we're still dual income. Travel is our passion and the thing we miss most. After being housebound this long I'd rather take a trip (or five) than get a couple of bags.

I'm genuinely glad to have the LV bags and SLGs that I do and still love my Lady Dior clutches (bought at launch before the price went way up), but I could give up 2/3 of my leather bags and never miss them. I really hope I fall back in love with my collection after all this is over.

LHLarsen

Mar 2, 2019
I feel like I'm done buying bags, but that may be because I've been working from home for over a year now and have carried nothing but a NF (Mon Mono) the majority of the time and toggled between my NF DA and my Neo Noe last summer. The more than 20 leather bags in my closet haven't even seen the light of day. Makes me embarrassed to even own them, to be honest.

Maybe when we can finally go back into the office (likely not before September, and even then it looks like it won't be more than 1-2 times a week) and start going out and travelling again I'll be happy to pull out my bags again. I can't tell if I'm just over it or if my bag love is just suffering from Covid fatigue and will recover.

I've focused on improving my health and fitness over the last year. I've lost 50 pounds and work out daily. I may not have bought any bags, but I could have bought a Birkin with my tab for the Lululemon, Arcteryx, insane amount of Brooks, hiking boots, gear to run/hike in any weather, etc. I'm slowly rebuilding my wardrobe; I've had to replace everything in my life except socks.

I don't see myself spending on a bag anytime soon. I'm 55 and maybe five years out from retirement; the reality is that my lifestyle is casual/active. My husband will retire in the next year or so and there are some renos we'd like to do while we're still dual income. Travel is our passion and the thing we miss most. After being housebound this long I'd rather take a trip (or five) than get a couple of bags.

I'm genuinely glad to have the LV bags and SLGs that I do and still love my Lady Dior clutches (bought at launch before the price went way up), but I could give up 2/3 of my leather bags and never miss them. I really hope I fall back in love with my collection after all this is over.
Congratulations on such a profound commitment to your health!

Reactions: MooMooVT