What is this? Bug experts and the curious please..

Thelace, that thing is scary. I dont think I could vacuum a bug up though, for fear that they wuold just crawl right back out.

Ah well - we have a fixed routine for this occasion: My daughter has to stare into the Dyson's clear cannister and not take her eyes off it. I then turn it on and suck the bugger up ... and wait until Daughter shouts that she has seen the spider appear in the cannister! :nuts:

Here's a creepy factoid: When I suck the spider up, I actually feel its body knocking against the side of the Dyson tubing, as it goes past my hand :wtf:

~shudders~

K, they are out here now in PA. The other night I said to DH, the bugs are back. I love to open the window at night and listen to them. As long as they stay outside, I'm fine!!! Have you ever seen the walking stick bugs? I 've had a few of those on my porch......ewww!

I find them annoying at night lol. Being surrounded by trees the woods are full of them, I wish they could understand what shut up meant lol. Ive seen the walking stick bugs before, they come around here all the time.

Thanks for the photo comments, I thought they were pretty sucky since I zoomed in almost all the way lol

I like most bugs. I don't like cockroaches, mosquitoes, fleas and flies though. Spiders I like. If one comes inside the house, I catch it and put it outside. There's no point killing them. They're very useful creatures, especially since they catch and eat cockroaches, mosquitoes, fleas and flies.

This guy was coming out of his shell on my wheel the other day when I went to get in my car. I went and got my brother because I had never seen this thing before!! He told me its a locust. And This grasshopper was outside my front door staring at me. It's kind of cute though
3862858653_c50daf6020.jpg

2721938591_441a530e45.jpg

Here's a link to an article about how researchers are discovering that butterflies talk to each other by making, well, clicking sounds, like the kind you heard DooneyDiva:

http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/pestalert/butterflies_talk.htm

And here's a YouTube video of a zebra butterfly making sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPkAz3Quezc

Thanks, Sue! That's nice of you to find some links for me and please DO as your neighbor. I just have to say that the sound of the butterfly in the YouTube video is not quite what it sounded like. The butterfly I heard was not clicking in a sharp, high tone like that. It was more of a purr. That's the best way I could describe it. It was the black and orange color of a tiger and had stripes and some spots. Let me know what he says.

^^^ oh my god !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *screams* where was that taken ?

back to the original little creature pictured, we had one like that hitch a ride on the windscreen a few years ago, he stayed on for quite some distance and it was frankly endearing looking at his little feelers/antenae(sp) blowing in the wind, he could have done with a headscarf to keep them under control.

when i was a kid and i was scared of a bug, my dad would grab my hand and drag me to it and FORCE ME to look at it and tell me there was nothing to be scared of it. it worked :lol:

same thing with blood and injuries.

facing those scary things actually helps you be less scared of them

I had a praying mantis hitch a ride on my roof once & it stayed on a good 15 miles too. DH was not amused... he hates mantises the same way i hate roaches.

Praying Mantises are very good to have in your yard. People actually buy them by mail order. They eat aphids and other destructive pests.