What is the most classic/timeless Rolex watch face size for women?

What Rolex (or other luxury watch) size is most classic?

• Total voters

Mini M

Aug 11, 2016
Hi all-
I know oversized watches have been popular for the last few years, and now super dainty watches are trendy. I’m wondering what size do you think is most timeless and classic and appropriate day to evening, casual to formal? I recently received a 31mm Datejust and love it, but keep seeing either super tiny or much larger watches on social media and it’s making me second guess! For reference my wrists are approximately 6 inches.

I really love my larger faced watches. But, I have a tiny wrist (about 5 inches) and my smaller Rolex (26? 28?) really does look the best on it. I have a newer 31 as well, in addition to other watches with 36 and even 38mm faces. Really if you're looking from day to evening, smaller and classis is better in my opinion.

Reactions: Mini M
A 28, especially in two tone, references the 1980s for me, which was the watch of that decade. Smaller watches, like smaller bags came back into style a few years ago, in reaction against the previous trend for larger sizes that spanned many years. But, the pendulum is slowly swinging back again to larger bags and watches. IMO, a Rolex is best known as a man’s tool watch, so I prefer a mens rolex (I have watches of all sizes from micro to oversized (Cartier, Rolex, and a variety of other brands, and I also dip into DHs watches: Rolex coke; breguet, JLC, IWC, since these days he only wears Alange watches). But, I define classic, in this thread, as the one watch size that can withstand trends for women, so I picked 31.

ETA: @Mini M , I view the majority of Rolex watches as riffs on a metal band tool watch, so to me, they technically signal ‘day’. I often wear ‘day’ watches for evening and vice versa, so to me, the size to day/night distinction blurs. If someone has a very small wrist, the classic should be what looks most appropriate, to scale, and is comfortable. I am 5’2”, size 38 chanel, 49 Dior, 34-38 Hermes, US designer 6. I am medium boned, and I think of myself, as being on the chunky side of slim relative to the very slim/petite true size 34s on this forum, so I probably skew larger than most re watch face.

Nothing beats trying different watches on in real life. Take action shots both close up and full length of you wearing different sizes. I try to wear the same thing (black v neck sweater, charcoal gray pants when trying on jewelry, and take an action shot from the same distance and angle for ease of comparison). No jewelry or watch store has ever questioned my need to take a pic in order to ‘see’ what I look like. :smile: have fun deciding

Last edited:
A 28, especially in two tone, references the 1980s for me, which was the watch of that decade. Smaller watches, like smaller bags came back into style a few years ago, in reaction against the previous trend for larger sizes that spanned many years. But, the pendulum is slowly swinging back again to larger bags and watches. IMO, a Rolex is best known as a man’s tool watch, so I prefer a mens rolex (I have watches of all sizes from micro to oversized (Cartier, Rolex, and a variety of other brands, and I also dip into DHs watches: Rolex coke; breguet, JLC, IWC, since these days he only wears Alange watches). But, I define classic, in this thread, as the one watch size that can withstand trends for women, so I picked 31.
This is such a well reasoned answer thank you! As someone who just started collected luxury a few years ago, it’s great to hear from someone with a much bigger collection!

• Thanks
Reactions: Cool Breeze and 880
I regret my 32 watch, it's too heavy and hurts my wrist. I only wear 26 or at most 28 in metal/gold bracelets. They can get heavy!

While any size can look great depending on the rest of your outfit (and the size of your wrist), timeless/classic probably under 36, bigger watches are a modern thing.

Reactions: etudes
I love both the 31 and 36 but these days wear mostly the 36 size. For me i like to balance out my left hand with how much bracelets I wear on my right hand, also I prefer the look of a bigger Rolex on my arm. It’s a preference thing. You will see lots of people on this forum say 31 is too small and 36 is too big so just go with your heart.

My Rolex is a 36mm and I love it. In fact, a part of me wishes I would have gone larger, to a 41mm. But it still works for me and I love it. My TAG is a 41mm and it's a men's dive watch and all SS. I wear it all the time on the weekends when I'm not wearing my Rolex. It works for me. As far as what's in style, I think nowadays anything goes. Small or large, it's just open to interpretation and it's all subjective.

Rolex.jpgTAG.jpg

I totally agree with everyone’s responses! Ultimately, I think it comes down to your personal preference, lifestyle, and style.

I think the 31 is a safe bet because it falls right in the middle: it’s midsize, so not too small and not too large. It doesn’t quite align with either trend (super tiny or super oversized), but IMHO that makes it more classic and less likely to be either “in” or “out” very quickly.

That being said, I think that your personal preference is more important than any trend. I just bought a 26mm last year and it had nothing to do with the fact that small watches are trending; I fell in love with it and it suits my small wrists and personal aesthetic. While I do love the chunky watch look, I think a 36mm would just be too large for me to wear comfortably every day. I wanted to be able to wear my watch daily, all day long, and it’s light enough that I can type all day with it on, something I don’t think I would be able to do with a 36mm.

I am hoping to add a larger size to my collection soon, but I think it will be the 31mm (still need to try both on and compare).

I do also think that the larger you go, the more sporty they are, so 36-41mm are more of a daytime vibe to me. But that’s just me — I’m sure there are plenty who would disagree. A 36mm might overpower my bird wrists lol, but on someone else, it would look great! And while a 36mm might not be the most appropriate for the Met Gala or a super fancy black-tie event, I think it could still be evening appropriate depending on the venue and how it’s styled.

Ultimately, I think you should go with whatever your gut tells you, whatever feels the best on your wrist, and whatever you love most, regardless of trends that will always come and go. :heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: etudes and Mini M