What is the color difference between 14k and 10k yellow gold?

Mar 27, 2009
Happy Saturday!
I am curious about the color difference between 10k and 14k gold. The jewelry websites show a difference, but I found a few photos taken by regular folks where they look almost identical.
Does anyone here have any 10k and 14k gold that they could post a side by side on here?
Thanks!

I don't have the 10k and 14k, but I can tell you that they can look very similar depending on the amount of copper in the metal mix. However, I would tread carefully with 10k gold because some places tend to rip you off. After all, it has very little gold content in it. Also, the 10k gold will tarnish way more than 14k if the metal mix has a lot of iron or copper.

I don't have the 10k and 14k, but I can tell you that they can look very similar depending on the amount of copper in the metal mix. However, I would tread carefully with 10k gold because some places tend to rip you off. After all, it has very little gold content in it. Also, the 10k gold will tarnish way more than 14k if the metal mix has a lot of iron or copper.
Good to know, thank you. Not a fan of tarnishing!

I think it’s hard to tell on line because the color of gold varies so much depending on the alloy.
My P is 10k yellow gold and I bought an 18k yellow gold chain for it. Some of the chains were really yellow and looked awful with my pendant. The one I chose was a lighter yellow but 18k gold nevertheless.
The mama letters are 14 k gold and a very similar yellow to the 10k pendant.
Just for funsies, I added a hieroglyphic pendant which is 18k and a very rich color, a totally different color from the 18k chain.
I have heard that sometimes jewelry stores plate 10k gold to make it look more yellow, but I’ve had my P pendant for a couple of years and the color hasn’t changed, so it wasn’t plated.
I love pale gold, I think I look my best in that color. Very rich yellow isn’t as flattering on me. I always look out for 18k that is paler.
I have to add that my 10k has never tarnished and if it did I would think it would just take a little buffing with a gold cloth to make it shine again. HTH!

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpeg
    IMG_5236.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5237.jpeg
    IMG_5237.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5238.jpeg
    IMG_5238.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5239.jpeg
    IMG_5239.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5240.jpeg
    IMG_5240.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: darkangel07760
I think it’s hard to tell on line because the color of gold varies so much depending on the alloy.
My P is 10k yellow gold and I bought an 18k yellow gold chain for it. Some of the chains were really yellow and looked awful with my pendant. The one I chose was a lighter yellow but 18k gold nevertheless.
The mama letters are 14 k gold and a very similar yellow to the 10k pendant.
Just for funsies, I added a hieroglyphic pendant which is 18k and a very rich color, a totally different color from the 18k chain.
I have heard that sometimes jewelry stores plate 10k gold to make it look more yellow, but I’ve had my P pendant for a couple of years and the color hasn’t changed, so it wasn’t plated.
I love pale gold, I think I look my best in that color. Very rich yellow isn’t as flattering on me. I always look out for 18k that is paler.
I have to add that my 10k has never tarnished and if it did I would think it would just take a little buffing with a gold cloth to make it shine again. HTH!
Thank you! I usually wear 14k yellow gold because 18k looks almost greenish on my skin tone. However I love the look of 18k rose gold on me and usually buy my designer pieces in that.

Reactions: Pevi