What is Prada “brushed leather”?

DrTr

O.G.
Jun 2, 2013
I have been looking at the Prada Cleo shoulder bag in black for awhile. Can’t get to a boutique. What is brushed leather? Is it sort of like box leather with a very shiny yet smooth soft finish? Does is it get water spots? I know it’s not patent leather, but hard to tell otherwise.

I love my LV pochette accessoire that is a shoulder bag, but like the look of the Prada hobo for a more polished look. Any info from those of you that know this leather greatly appreciated!

AAA896E6-D021-4DF9-931E-A80B8FDDF516.jpeg

brushed leather is a grain corrected leather that's been coated with an acrylic topcoat and polished. Very very similar to Bookbinder leather that Churches (another Prada Group brand) uses for their shoes.

Fragility-wise, not the best. Unlike lambskin, if you scuff/scratch the leather, the scuff/sctach is extremely difficult to remove (if you do buff it out, most cases you can still see it if you look at it at a certain angle ) unless you applied a layer of wax prior.

I have the monoliths (the ones with the ankle pouches) that use the same leather. I've added a thin layer of shoe wax/cream over it and now any time I accidentally lightly scuff it, I can just buff the scuff away. If I hadn't, It wouldn't have aged as nicely.

brushed leather is a grain corrected leather that's been coated with an acrylic topcoat and polished. Very very similar to Bookbinder leather that Churches (another Prada Group brand) uses for their shoes.

Fragility-wise, not the best. Unlike lambskin, if you scuff/scratch the leather, the scuff/sctach is extremely difficult to remove (if you do buff it out, most cases you can still see it if you look at it at a certain angle ) unless you applied a layer of wax prior.

I have the monoliths (the ones with the ankle pouches) that use the same leather. I've added a thin layer of shoe wax/cream over it and now any time I accidentally lightly scuff it, I can just buff the scuff away. If I hadn't, It wouldn't have aged as nicely.
Thanks so much for your thorough answer! Very helpful, and might borrow your shoe wax/cream trick if I get the bag. Thanks again :flowers:

Thank you, that's very insighful. I didn't know anything about this type of leather, so your review and recommendations very much appreciated.

Reactions: DrTr
I have a Brique in black brushed leather (also called spazzolato, in Italian) and it's one of my favorite bags. I have applied a few coats of Saphir Renovateur on it because of a big scratch I got when I started using it. Now the scratch has blended into the bag's patina that I barely notice it.

P.S. Lil Nas X has the same bag as me :heart:
a986190c-4fe1-4069-854b-0c71268209fc-jpeg.5649941

I have a Brique in black brushed leather (also called spazzolato, in Italian) and it's one of my favorite bags. I have applied a few coats of Saphir Renovateur on it because of a big scratch I got when I started using it. Now the scratch has blended into the bag's patina that I barely notice it.

P.S. Lil Nas X has the same bag as me :heart:
a986190c-4fe1-4069-854b-0c71268209fc-jpeg.5649941
Thanks for the info. And how fun to twin with Lil Nas X - he looks great in that bag! It’s a beautiful bag. I must say the rain on it makes me uneasy, but it must wipe right off - good to know. Love this pic, thanks for sharing.