What is "normal" wear and tear

butyousaid

Jul 7, 2018
Hello Ladies,
I am in need of your help. I purchased my bag from a shop in Sydney via their online store late last November. In May, I sent it back. They are telling me it is wear & tear, but I find it hard to believe that a bag of less than 6 months old, that wasn't used everyday can be in such a state. The most disappointing part for me, is the wear of the leather around the logo. I am horrified that I may of purchased a fake (at not much less than for the same bag via the Givenchy store). I have lodged a complaint with my local fair trading as I believe 6 months a bag of this quality should be near new looking. Please, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Attachments

• Damagedbag2.JPG
    Damagedbag2.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 561
  • Damagedbag1.JPG
    Damagedbag1.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 557
  • Damagedbag3.JPG
    Damagedbag3.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 562
Compared to the other thread from a new owner of a light grey ant, this is night and day
I have never seen the extent of this wear and tear...are there any, and I mean this in the nicest way, any possibility that someone else borrowed your bag or something like turbulence on a plane and your bag was thrown about e.g.? I dont know if any store would take this back unfortunately. Good thing is that black bags are an easier fix. You can DIY and get a leather cleaner, conditioner and leather restorer, it make sure to test out before use. Or, you can send it to a reputable bag repair or shoe repair shop. If none are available, there's always leather surgeon. Google it.

Reactions: CleopatraSelene
The most disappointing part for me, is the wear of the leather around the logo. I am horrified that I may of purchased a fake (at not much less than for the same bag via the Givenchy store).

That degree of color loss throughout, not just near logo, sure looks like the bag is terrible quality. Clearly you didn't buy it at Givenchy, so say more about the retailer and what you know of the bag's authenticity.

That degree of color loss throughout, not just near logo, sure looks like the bag is terrible quality. Clearly you didn't buy it at Givenchy, so say more about the retailer and what you know of the bag's authenticity.
Yes, I am very worried it is a dud. A very expensive dud
I took them to consumer protection, apparently they have agreed to repair it, I had asked for my money back. I am worried it is going to happen time & time again tho. So will need to find out what my options are if it does keep happening.

Compared to the other thread from a new owner of a light grey ant, this is night and day
I have never seen the extent of this wear and tear...are there any, and I mean this in the nicest way, any possibility that someone else borrowed your bag or something like turbulence on a plane and your bag was thrown about e.g.? I dont know if any store would take this back unfortunately. Good thing is that black bags are an easier fix. You can DIY and get a leather cleaner, conditioner and leather restorer, it make sure to test out before use. Or, you can send it to a reputable bag repair or shoe repair shop. If none are available, there's always leather surgeon. Google it.
It’s currently at a repair shop in Melbourne. I’ve had it less than 6 months. Used it but not everyday. No one borrowed it. I believe it was new when I bought it, but who knows. It’s devastating.

I will say I have the Antigona in black grained goatskin, I've had it for four years and I do not baby it at all- I throw it around all the time- and aside from the shape softening over time and maybe one or two tiiiiny scuffs/scratches, it looks brand new (including the bottom). So from my experience the quality of the bag you purchased is completely abnormal and I would ask for your money back (opposed to exchanging it, since others in this thread are saying the retailer sells fakes).

I will say I have the Antigona in black grained goatskin, I've had it for four years and I do not baby it at all- I throw it around all the time- and aside from the shape softening over time and maybe one or two tiiiiny scuffs/scratches, it looks brand new (including the bottom). So from my experience the quality of the bag you purchased is completely abnormal and I would ask for your money back (opposed to exchanging it, since others in this thread are saying the retailer sells fakes).

I am so sad that now all I feel is anger when I see these beautiful bags after my experience.

I did get a full refund after I was not happy with the repair. I am so glad the saga is behind me, glad I stood my ground to push for what was fair.

But now onto the fun of bag shopping! Have definitely caught the bag bug and have learnt SO much from this experience