What if she's too heavy?

Claudia

formerly Purse-onality
Nov 10, 2006
Ladies, I have a question -- how do you deal with a Birkin that's so heavy? I am about to "inherit" one from my mom.. the times I have carried it, just normally full, I have found it heavier than seems "normal" for a bag. But its so gorgeous/magnificent, and the true definition of a Holy Grail bag, I would rather have a sore arm than give it up...how do you girls deal with the bag's heaviness?

In other words, is this an example of beauty over comfort? :confused1:

TIA for any opinions, etc.

The 35cm birkin (and up) IS quite heavy. Not much you can do about it. I try not to fill it too much, but you're right, it is magnificent and hard to give up! A true Holy Grail.

I find that carrying a 35 Birkin makes for a great yet gentle workout for your upper body - you'll actually gain strength in your chest, arms, and shoulders and your gorgeous bag will feel lighter with time!

Claudia, I carry everything but the kitchen sink in my bags...lol "Heavy" is an understatement ;)

I was used to shoulder bags, so it definitely took a bit of adjustment when I switched to carrying very heavy hand-carry bags. And I am no Spring chicken...lol Now I am so used to it that I do not think twice about it anymore.

You will get used to it :balloon:

my shoulders and biceps are sore after an outing with my 40.....

30 is definitely lighter (so i heard), but i guess if you dont fill it up as much.. 35 is manageable too :biggrin:

I do deadlifts at the gym, so carrying heavy bags is not an issue. :biggrin:

If you're not used to carrying heavy stuff, I suggest you skip it. It's bad on your back to carry a heavy bag for long periods of time.