What does the X after the STYLE NUMBER mean?

HandbagxQueen

gottalovecoach
Sep 21, 2010
This is a re-release of the ALEX Signature Sateen Tote Bag (14277) that came out late last year or maybe early this year. I do remember Coach having this bag a while back.

I bought the "updated" style of this tote (14449) from MACY'S. When I told the sales lady that I remember seeing this same bag months ago, she told me Coach re-released it, and after a few weeks it went on CLEARANCE (25% off MSRP of $248) - She says it's because of the holidays, it's a SPECIAL RELEASE.

The inside creed has the serial number + style number (14449), but on the outside white price tag, it says 14449X - so what does the X stand for? First time I'm seeing this. I'm guessing the X stands for EXCLUSIVE to department stores only, like Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillards, etc... because both online or in-stores does not carry this collection anymore.

Attachments

• Coach Alex 01.jpg
    Coach Alex 01.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Coach Alex 02.jpg
    Coach Alex 02.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Coach Alex 03.jpg
    Coach Alex 03.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 239
Yeah, it means department store exclusive. They did the same thing earlier this year with the small Sabrina. Released them to dept. stores and then put them on clearance pretty quickly.

Great bag! I have it in black patent from last year and just love it. It's so comfy to carry.

Yeah, it means department store exclusive. They did the same thing earlier this year with the small Sabrina. Released them to dept. stores and then put them on clearance pretty quickly.

Great bag! I have it in black patent from last year and just love it. It's so comfy to carry.

Normally bags get sent to Factory... so why re-release them and then put it on clearance soon after?

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not really sure why Coach does the whole re-release thing for department stores? I can only guess that they are being back a bag that sold well in the past. It is sort of odd to bring it back just to then mark it down. But Coach has been known to do some odd things.

The SA at Nordstroms today told me that they got the bags just to put on clearance for the holidays. She said Coach wanted to make sure that they had "sale bags" in the store. If that makes sense, she could have been clueless. Either way i was happy to get the grey one since i missed out last year.

the Nordstroms close to me in CA did not have any tote on clearance when I went earlier today (they could've possibly ran out)... but Nordstrom sends stuff to Rack when they don't sell. So I don't know if the "Holiday Special" of these Alex Totes (or any other "older bags") is true for all EXCLUSIVE Department stores.

They had to order my gray one from another store but when she showed me the search there were a lot still in the system. At least 15 and that was about 3 hours ago. I believe it was $219.

the X means its a promo item so it sold well in the past and they decided to bring it back. they've done this with mia totes, with alex, sabrina, and julianne (nordies only) they send em in and make em sale because they know they can make more money off it. lol i think its a really good sales strategy. notice though for these bags there is no X on the creed, only the price tag...