What do your significant others think...

I've often wondered what is it about boyfriends, who are not married to you, trying to control their girlfriends' spending? If it's not their money, what's it to them? Especially if they are not living together?

Mine only worries that i'll spend beyond my means or that it will impact the things we can do together. If I can't afford the same kind of activities we do now because of bag spending then that affects him, too. He shouldn't have to pay for all our meals at restaurants just so I can splurge on handbags.

windykat said:
My soon to be hubby has been supportive, even suggesting maybe I should get something really special (ie. Birkin, etc.). Most of the time he doesn't understand why I feel so much joy over a bag, but he likes it when I'm happy and he knows I have to have something for myself. He would just prefer if I skipped over the details w/ him and talked to my "purse friends" as he likes to call the PF instead.

Haha, sounds like my boyfriend. I think he's happy that I found the PF because he glazes over sometimes when I'm debating purchases. He even wants to lend me his digital camera so that I can post my purchases. He thinks its cute that we share things, he calls you all my pursebuddies.

Hmmm, I've never had a boyfriend comment on how I spend my money, usually they like how I dress and the compliments that I get when we're out together. I think honestly it would be a deal breaker for me. Maybe that sounds harsh but I need my independance and someone who isn't going to judge how I spend money (I feel like they would judge other things as well) - besides I have a budget and I often get great deals and I spoil my family, its important to me.

I am lucky in that my Husband doesn't really mind so long as I have the money for what I want. If fact sometimes it is a bad thing as I'll go " do you think I should get this, it's pretty expensive for a ......." and he'll go " yea, get it" if he likes it.:lol: He's also brutally honest if he hates something though.

Amina said:
I've often wondered what is it about boyfriends, who are not married to you, trying to control their girlfriends' spending? If it's not their money, what's it to them? Especially if they are not living together?

My BF once asked me if I was OK with finances given I had done a TON of spending in a short period of time (major home improvements plus some new cookware). I think he just is looking out for me and doesn't want me to get in a bind.

He knows I have a ton of clothes and shoes (he's seen my walk-in closet numerous times of course) and sometimes jokes about it but he loves my style and I love his too. Now the bags, on the other hand, are in a separate bedroom closet (which is starting to get too small), and he never comments on my bags even though I always try to carefully select one to go with my outfit for that day. He would probably flip if he knew how much I spend on clothes, shoes, bags, etc. I guess if/when we get married he'll find out soon enough :graucho:

I guess bags just are foreign territory to guys...all they need is a small wallet and their cell or PDA and they're set. WE on the other hand...

He accepts my obsession, though he likes to tease me about it. He knows that I like to treat myself by buying a purse or if I have extra money after everything else I need to pay I'll buy me another one. He just doesn't understand why I need another one. :smile:

Amina said:

I get annoyed by this too! I ignore them. :biggrin:

But I do understand where they are coming from ... if the relationship does become more serious, there may be money issues....

manolo maven said:
At first my husband thought I was nuts, but 25 bags later he just accepts it and now loveees to tease me about it. Usually in front of people, if possible. It's weird, though, he totally understands my shoe thing, but the purse thing still baffles him. I guess because he actually wears shoes, too...

That's similar to what happened with me and my ex. But it was also because his classmates and then co-workers all talked about women's handbag obsessions as a necessary evil. :biggrin:

My fiance doesn't understand and doesn't care. He cares about how much I spend (but he never knows exactly HOW much:P ) but as far as helping me or even listening, he tunes right out. This bothered me for a while, but then I realized if he was knowledable about the bags, he would be knowledable about the prices and THAT, we do not need!:biggrin: So I just talk about and enjoy them with all of you!

remarkably mine has no idea what retail is on anything except Hermes and the only reason he knows that is because the SA left me a very detailed phone message. I have managed to convince him for many years that I get really good deals on all bags. I just hope he never finds me on PF :biggrin: I also try to spread my purchases out but this method hasn't been working lately with all the sales :graucho:

my bf don't know the price of my bags. he knows that they're expensive but he never really asked. he just keep on saying me to me to save money. but luckily i only have thing for bags, i don't really have a lot of expensive shoes, other than 1 mj and 1 prada, all are relatively cheap shoes. and for clothes, i chose to shop at thrift store to find something unique and remarkably cheap instead of malls. but yes, sometimes i do feel guilty, that's why i try to buy from bargains or ebays and not retail store.

My husband is supportive of my bag obsession. He knows that when I try to "save money" by buying things at stores like, Old Navy or the Gap, I usually end up unhappy with my purchases, never wearing them or using them, and having to buy what I originally wanted anyways. He is not very materialistic, I manage our money, and he is just happy with me being happy! I do always make a point of selling bags that I am no longer using on Ebay (as well as clothes and shoes) to make some money to buy new bags. But, I have had a couple of bad experiences on Ebay with buyers and sellers so it makes me a little nervous sometimes! I do feel guilty sometimes - but you only live once! I like to tell myself that I am just doing my duty as an American citizen and helping to support the economy:yes: