What bag will you carry when you “return” outside regularly?

The only place I would carry my bag now is the grocery store or my Chiropractor. :sad: I’m thinking of carrying my LV Graceful which is my errand bag of sorts. But it has this huge vachetta handle and the thought of looking at a COVID disinfectant spray memory for the next year is just depressing.
I know what you mean. I definitely wouldn’t do vachetta right now. I haven’t been spraying my bags when I rarely go out but I put it in an armoire, and it’s so long in between, that any virus should have died. I actually just picked up a couple Coach Cassie bags on sale that I feel more comfortable spraying with Force of Nature if necessary lol

View attachment 4803693
these are the ones! plus atoms brand masks :smile: sorry my pic is not the greatest. They are gannett brand uv 50+ with Cooltec. I forgot where DH first Saw them, but one of the people in my doctors office also uses them when outside sometimes. I just hand wash them when I get back inside. I also carry some disposable PPE just in case. Forgot to add, I’m sorry, I’m not sure where I read the article about Soft surfaces like fabric. When I read about fragments, I decided to go with leather. . L mainly b DH and I self isolated for at least 6-8 weeks and when I started to venture out very minimally, I decided I needed to carry a bag for moral support, even if my cc was in my pocket. . Love your bags ans hope you can carry them soon!
Thanks!! Do you mean the virus doesn’t last as long on leather as fabric?

Oh how beautiful!! Tell me everything about that purple one in the middle! What’s the color called. *pulls out notebook, waits for professor*
Thank you! It’s the 2006 Violet Caviar jumbo. I’m told that it is quite rare and hard to find though. I hope you find one!! It also came in a medium and an east/west I believe.

Sigh. I’m a bag lover and I miss wearing them. My bags haven’t seen the light of day since March.
When I go out now it’s only for something quick/urgent and I just take a wristlet.
I have a couple Hermes bags probably wondering why they’ve been sidelined. :sad:

Thanks!! Do you mean the virus doesn’t last as long on leather as fabric?
I just saw your question. apologies, I don’t remember where I read the examples of leather and cloth But I believe they were lumped together as in soft, absorbent, natural, porous material, the virus may survive for less time and in fragments (unlikely to cause illness). here is an older article (there are others but this is the first I pulled up just now:
quote:
On clothing and other surfaces harder to disinfect, it is not yet clear how long the virus can survive. The absorbent natural fibres in cardboard, however, may cause the virus to dry up more quickly than on plastic and metal, suggests Vincent Munster, head of the virus ecology section at Rocky Mountain Laboratories and one of those who led the NIH study.

“We speculate due to the porous material, it desiccates rapidly and might be stuck to the fibres,” he says. Changes in temperature and humidity may also affect how long it can survive, and so may explain why it was less stable in suspended droplets in the air, as they are more exposed. “[We’re] currently running follow-up experiments to investigate the effect of temperature and humidity in more detail.”

forgot to add, I do shower and wash masks and gloves when I get home. Most clothes are left outside my bedroom and shoes handcarried to the closet, and I change into indoor clothes (but that’s bc even bf Covid, my allergists have always recommended all that). YMMV :smile:

Last edited:
I’ve only been using my workhorse bags since the pandemic. I alternate between black epi alma, black Bal city & my old Paris Biarritz tote that I haven’t used for over a decade. I wipe them down with baby wipes...though I’m not sure how useful this is since baby wipes are alcohol free.

I actually find myself using bigger bags when I have to go out cause now I carry a bottle of water, anti-bacterial gel, anti-bac hand wipes, masks (I tend to bring extra just as precaution) on top of all the other things I usually carry :doh:

I’m using my Hermes evelyne a lot, but because I’m not going out more than 2 times a week at most with it, by the time I reach for it again it hasn’t been used for days. For work, I carry a very simple cotton tote as I have to leave it in a fairly public area on the floor and I don’t want it to get dirty, also designer goods wouldn’t be appropriate for my work so it’s better for something more disposable. I love Louis monogram for autumn so I might likely wear that again soon and it’s more able to clean.

Reactions: *NYC Princess*
I’ve only been using my workhorse bags since the pandemic. I alternate between black epi alma, black Bal city & my old Paris Biarritz tote that I haven’t used for over a decade. I wipe them down with baby wipes...though I’m not sure how useful this is since baby wipes are alcohol free.

I actually find myself using bigger bags when I have to go out cause now I carry a bottle of water, anti-bacterial gel, anti-bac hand wipes, masks (I tend to bring extra just as precaution) on top of all the other things I usually carry :doh:
That’s the part I wonder about...do I have to spray or wipe down with something to sanitize which probably ruins the bag. Hence, asking if anyone has changed to a bag that can withstand as such. Force of nature claims to do so without damaging leather but i haven’t tried.

I’m using my Hermes evelyne a lot, but because I’m not going out more than 2 times a week at most with it, by the time I reach for it again it hasn’t been used for days. For work, I carry a very simple cotton tote as I have to leave it in a fairly public area on the floor and I don’t want it to get dirty, also designer goods wouldn’t be appropriate for my work so it’s better for something more disposable. I love Louis monogram for autumn so I might likely wear that again soon and it’s more able to clean.
I like my Evie too but I think I personally am staying away from open bags for now to reduce the contents of my bag from being contaminated. LV canvas should be able to withstand cleaning better but most bags have leather sections, which especially vachetta are more susceptible.

Reactions: boyslikebagstoo
My understanding is that the virus would last longer in a non-porous material (coated canvas) than in a porous one (leather). But in general I am also not unduly concerned about transmission through surfaces. I do tend to use sanitizer on cards or even card holders, but in truth, when you look at outbreaks and how they are traced more effectively nowadays, they are overwhelmingly related to meetings and reunions, people sharing (mostly indoor) space for a lapse of time. So I try to focus on that. I am actually hardly ever indoors outside my house. Mostly ocasional shopping in small shops that I keep to a minimum. I think this is the most effective and thus I wear whatever bag makes my heart sing. Winter will come and everything will be much more difficult!

Last edited:
I like my Evie too but I think I personally am staying away from open bags for now to reduce the contents of my bag from being contaminated. LV canvas should be able to withstand cleaning better but most bags have leather sections, which especially vachetta are more susceptible.

that’s a good point, although it does mean that you don’t have to touch the bag to open it! I’m not sure which is better.