What bag do you carry for bad weather/outdoor concerts/amusement parks/etc?

I use an MZ Wallace nylon cross body "Mia" I believe is the name it is a staple though I haven't looked at the thread or the site lately, for traveling and bad weather. It wears well.

I have an Etsy fringe bag in black that I don't care much about getting wet, so I'll carry that when I need to. It also works great for concerts and being hands-free because I can convert it to a belt bag/fanny pack. But if I need to carry more than just the small stuff, I have a Brandy Melville backpack made out of fabric that I can use for the rain and concerts, too. It's a nice knock-around bag that is super comfortable and holds a ton of stuff.

For theme parks I avoid carrying a purse because the lockers are a hassle. I bought a fanny pack from a local costume store that has 3 large pouches on the front and hidden zippers on the back. It's big enough to hold my phone, keys and money and it lies flat against my body. I'll just wear a long shirt over it so I won't have to take it off.

For any general work day, rain or snow doesn't deter me from carrying my leather bags. Our office building has an underground parkade.

For outdoor activities with kids, then any one of the nylon or leather cross body bags are used. From Prada to LC to mainstream brands. Depending on activity level (water rides, constant walking like school field trips, etc.) and how much I have to carry with me, I would pick the bag that suits the event. A few of these bags are over 5yrs old and they still look great despite being non designer. A big plus if they can be washed at the end of the day.

Love my small flat Prada nylon cross body as I can wear it underneath sweater or loose shirt whenever I go on rides. I can leave my backpack with the attendant but my valuables stays with me.

Last edited:
Bags are meant for using.

Beach
- V&A McQueen bag or one of those free cotton shopping bags you get from fashion or art shows

Park / outdoor day out / outdoor concerts - one of my coated canvas Gucci Bostons, Cambridge satchel, 1969 patent Gucci (partly ruined anyway from being 'babied' too much and kept for best, it prefers what no other bag likes, lots of action and rain). Liberty Boston, Hermes Garden party or Chanel Cambon shopper.

Gym / dance class / martial arts - Paperchase holdall or Burberry backpack

Rainy day - light or intermittent normal (vertical) rain, Bal Holiday Bowler or Cambridge satchel both shiny coated leather rain runs off. My liberty briefcase. Possible rain but want to look nice, BV Cervo hobo or other bag that doesn't seem too mind the rain too much but I'll fold and carry a large plastic carrier and carry an umbrella. Possibly small crossover under a coat. Heavy, heavy rain (horizontal) and full force 10 winds - parker with inside pockets, arm pockets and plastic poncho, over trousers waterproof hike boots.

Last edited:
I think all my bags are fabulous even the ones that are "lesser" brands! I chucked anything I truly didn't like from my closet, life's too short not to love your fashion choices.

With that said I have a clutch made from a pair of my old license plates with a long chain strap that is truly carefree. I also have a gorgeous vintage leather Coach that used to be my mom's in the 90s which I swear gets better as it gets older. Plus it's a dark hunter green color so sunscreen/inclement weather won't leave its mark like it would on a lighter leather bag. I also have a nylon Lululemon crossbody that says "Dance Your Asana Off" on the inside that can resist any weather, it's actually my dog walk bag but I've taken it out for outdoorsy situations as well because it's cute. Also my old LV monogram pochette has gone to tons of concerts and music festivals over the years & my Neverfull is effectively my dog's stowaway vehicle (see avatar). Even the leather satchels I have are pretty tough so I wouldn't be too concerned unless I was going somewhere with the potential to be truly sticky like a ball game or wet like the pool. I used to take my LV Mahina XS out regularly in snow / noreaster type storm conditions & it still looks great.

Funny though I do have a Longchamp Le Pliage. I used to use it as a pool bag when I lived in more of a walking city but now that I am back in more of a driving city all my pool stuff lives in the trunk of my car. Love it for travel though it packs down super small. But now I'm inspired to resurrect it as a pool bag when I go for swim workouts bc there's a good neighborhood pool close walking distance to my new place.

If I'm going to be out and about at the weekend in the rain I'll often just grab my Longchamp Le Pliage - I also like it because it's got a zip top which is much more practical than a lot of my other bags (I'm a big fan of open-top totes!). This is also the reason I stick with a Le Pliage for when I travel as I travel a lot with work and would hate to destroy my nicer bags on a plane [emoji16] It's also good for me to have a less conspicuous bag in some of the countries I travel to for safety reasons.

My usual everyday bags are Balenciaga, with Givenchy and YSL thrown in now and then.

If a work day is more demanding, I reach out for Coach.

The weekends are usually spent with LV, both canvas and leather.

Rainy days are usually dealt with by Rebecca Minkoff's glazed leather (this one is super bomb-proof), which makes it ideal for outdoor events too.

And when travelling abroad, I favor Rebecca Minkoff's glazed leather again for surviving airports and plane rides. But, most definitely, I would not leave my hotel without PacSafe.

Going to the park or store: Rebecca Minkoff mini mac ($20 thrift find so I don't feel too guilty), pebbled 3.1 phillip lim pashli mini, or baby blue Balenciaga hip shoulder bag ($55 thrift find so I also don't feel too guilty)

Raining: gris balenciaga city, mini or medium phillip lim pashli, or mini mac (RM), alexander wang marion

I don't have beater bags really or bad weather bags. I use my bags rain or shine - if my LV vachetta gets rained on so be it. It's been down poured on & still looks great! My Eva has gone to every sport,concert,entertainment venue & has had drinks spilled on her etc... she's fine. Leather bags - all no worse for the wear. It's not vanity - it's convenience. Convenient for me is not having to change bags unless I want to. And not having to check the weather forecast first which I slack at. It's annoying enough to run out the door for work $ turn back to grab an umbrella or rain coat - I don't want to change my bag too.