What bag do you carry for bad weather/outdoor concerts/amusement parks/etc?

Dec 27, 2013
Some of us keep beater bags. Some of us carry a bag a step or two down from our usual preferences. And some carry the same bag no matter where we go because we can’t be deterred from looking fabulous.

So, tell me, what do you carry in situations where—some would say--your bag is more likely to encounter hazards?

Well, as I'm in the middle of a tropical storm right now, I can answer this from immediate first-hand experience, LOL.

Large Longchamp Le Pliage tote in black. This bag is made for rain. I've been using it nonstop.

I also have a small navy Longchamp Neo, which has a crossbody strap - this would be the ballgame/theme park bag for when I don't need to carry as much.

I also have a couple of vintage LV bags that I bought specifically to take a bit of a beating as travel bags - the Saumur 35, and I also have a vintage Petit Noe that I'm willing to sling around (although not in inclement weather). And then there's LV Damier Ebene bags - I have a small crossbody (Favorite PM) that I've worn to Disney World, and I'm about to get a Neverfull in the same print. Canvas bags in this print don't worry me in sweaty or dirty situations at all.

For true grossness, though - pools, farms, camping, grubby child activities, rain - Longchamp all the way.

Note: I bought a pre-owned Balenciaga Day bag intending it to be a beater bag, but NO WAY. Once I got it and felt the soft pillowy leather, I vowed to be good to it. LOL. I've used it as a carry on bag for a few trips, but I wouldn't take it anywhere too "rugged."

Reactions: papertiger
Well, as I'm in the middle of a tropical storm right now, I can answer this from immediate first-hand experience, LOL.

Large Longchamp Le Pliage tote in black. This bag is made for rain. I've been using it nonstop.

I also have a small navy Longchamp Neo, which has a crossbody strap - this would be the ballgame/theme park bag for when I don't need to carry as much.

I also have a couple of vintage LV bags that I bought specifically to take a bit of a beating as travel bags - the Saumur 35, and I also have a vintage Petit Noe that I'm willing to sling around (although not in inclement weather). And then there's LV Damier Ebene bags - I have a small crossbody (Favorite PM) that I've worn to Disney World, and I'm about to get a Neverfull in the same print. Canvas bags in this print don't worry me in sweaty or dirty situations at all.

For true grossness, though - pools, farms, camping, grubby child activities, rain - Longchamp all the way.

Note: I bought a pre-owned Balenciaga Day bag intending it to be a beater bag, but NO WAY. Once I got it and felt the soft pillowy leather, I vowed to be good to it. LOL. I've used it as a carry on bag for a few trips, but I wouldn't take it anywhere too "rugged."

Me too! Well, not the middle of it, but feeling some of it. When I need a small back for concerts, sporting events, etc. I use my Chanel mini in caviar. On the rare occasion I need something larger, my Longchamp LP as well.

Reactions: Summerfriend
Some of us keep beater bags. Some of us carry a bag a step or two down from our usual preferences. And some carry the same bag no matter where we go because we can’t be deterred from looking fabulous.

So, tell me, what do you carry in situations where—some would say--your bag is more likely to encounter hazards?

I carry a bag that's a step or two down from my everyday bags. If something spills or happens to them, I'd be upset but not devastated.

Reactions: lulilu

I have a few. For casual but dry summer days (parks, picnics etc.), I carry a Helen Kaminsky raffia tote. For rainy days, I often carry a Burberry Buckleigh nylon tote (an alternative to the Longchamp Le Pliage). But for rainy fall and winter days, and snowy days, my Mulberry Alexa in buffalo leather is another option. The thing's a tank :smile:.

This is one of the reasons my bag closet is well stocked with Le Pliage and Finnish leather bags. Both can take any weather and I know they will handle it with ease; rain, snow, slush, freezing winds, sun...Lumi, PT and Okay's laugh at their face. As for Le Pliage, I use the Medium Cuir quite often for travel. It's lightweight and I don't need to worry. It's super durable and also a bit under the radar. The nylon LP always come out when I pack my suitcase and at least one gets folded in. Most likely 2 or 3.

For picnics and other outdoor activities which mean my bag gets to be in contact with the ground, I always take a Peak Performance canvas tote. The bag is white with a large photo print on it, but it's been in the washing machine for like 15 times and still doing great.
I also have a Tommy Hilfiger nylon bag which I carry during the summer and, carrying the title of the official beater bag, a Malene Birger Grinolas tote which is currently at its' last leg as my work tote. The quality is so crappy I don't care what happens to the bag - I hate it and it's absolutely the last MB product I will ever waste my money on - and that's exactly what my work bag needs to be. It gets such brutal treatment. After completely demolishing the bag (which, looking at the way the bag's corners wore through with two weeks of gentle use, won't take long) its next destination is the garbage bin. And no love lost.

Reactions: -S-

Great thread. I use an L.L. Bean Boat Tote or a similar Land's End canvas tote for activities like sailing, when the bag is getting stuffed into a berth or worse, into a musty hold, or for horse shows where it sits on the ground in the dirt, outdoor concerts where it sits in the grass. Classic prep. Can be monogrammed! Fun colors. Great for any activity that involves slobbery, mud-covered dogs. Holds everything under the sun and can be thrown in the wash afterwards.

Reactions: lulilu
Another vote for the Cuir Le Pliage here. Now, I'm not particularly hard on my bags, but I don't baby them much either. The Cuir leather is practically indestructible and can take some rain, especially if sprayed with repellent first. I just love my LP for all the reasons stated above - it's light, it's under the radar, it's still fashionable, it's still leather. I don't care for the nylon version at all, but for really heavy use, that is still what I would recommend even though I prefer the leather.

a bag from a "lesser" brand and not a lux one, for sure. and usually in nylon fabric, which is all-weather, or patent, which is also all-weather. if i know it'll rain or get potentially get banged up/dirty somehow... i don't risk a 3K bag, but a $30 generic brand. i went to the rain forest last year and bought a $20 bag from Kohls for the trip, and gave it to Goodwill afterwards. if i know damage is possible, the designer brands stay home. i have a Tignanello crossbody that's a go-to for 'messy' events, b/c i don't care if something happens to it

Reactions: Sparkletastic
My bag always is likely to encounter hazards.
Because it's near me.:giggle:Hazard girl.

But, choices:
1) mulberry alice = spring/summer festival/ garden concerts bag.
Lighter weight & swingy-flingy strap. Plus top zips closed.

2) diesel reboot leather tote = carnival/ amusement rides bag.
Because holds bags of candy floss. Attached interior pouch, for spare adhesive bandages & wet wipes.

3) campomaggi leather messenger = skulking-around-unnoticed & grubby. Perhaps in grafitti-riddled alleys with camera.
Or travelling domestically.
(However, many people notice & ask about bag. So covertness = fail.)

4) international travel = pacsafe crossbody.
Not leather. With bajillion layers of collonil waterstop, same as every bag I own.;)

5) mulberry bayswater clutch wallets(with chain) = under coat, in torrential, wet nonsense. Or urban must-dash-quickly situations.

Wow. everyone on this forum loves Longchamp so much that I feel tempted to get one.

ok so "rainy day bags" are my go-to lately. Whenever the forecast calls for at least a 30% chance of rain, I carry one of these:

I have a slouchy black patent Michael Kors hobo that I'm just waiting for the handle to break off of. The body of the bag is stretched out and the zipper is loose so it's not something I hesitate to carry in the rain.
I have an off-white bag by Thw Sak thay is also very slouchy and weather carefree.

Some days I'll carry a small pink bag I got on the cheap in Provincetown.

I have a lovely black quilted Charming Charlie tote thay I carry some rainy days. It's a favorite of mine but it's not like the world is going to run out of black tore bags.
Occasionally I carry a $20 dark green bag from JC Penny.

my evening bag to carry on a rainy night out is a black fabric Calvin Kline bag I got on clearance at Macys.

I have a Fossil coated canvas tote that I love to carry in rain as it's bright and cheery.

Otherwise I have non-leather bags and a couple of beater leather bags like my black RM MAM that I carry in hazardous conditions. It's good to have variety even in such situations!

I like nylon. I'm a big fan of the Tumi Q Tote. The pic is of the small, but there is a large too and they come in different colors.
1205-Tumi-Women-s-Q-Tote-3.jpg