What automatic feeder would you suggest?

spaceyjacy

fashion ruckus
O.G.
Dec 4, 2007
My husband and I will be doing a little traveling (very little by normal standards) during the next few months, and I'm wondering what kind of automatic feeders to buy for our two 4 year old healthy cats.

Both trips will be 3 nights/4days max and we will have a friend check in on the cats daily to keep the water fresh, put out canned food, and scoop the litter box. Unfortunately my female cat is so petrified of anyone other than my husband or myself that she will NOT under any circumstances let anyone other than us feed her. If the food gets left out, her friendly(and greedy) brother will eat it all up before she comes out of hiding.

So I need to get 2 automatic feeders that are reliable, not easy to break into, and will provide dry food for several days meals. If anyone has a particular brand or model they swear by I would be most grateful to hear about it.

TIA:heart:

Oh, and I would love to spend under $100 each(so less than $200 total for both).

I use Cat Mate - I don't own cats - I use it for my Shih Tzu. It has worked out very well for me for almost three years already.

Thank you so much! :heart: That's very helpfull. I was surprised that no one else has posted. I know I have heard people mention having these things.

I'm bumping this thread because I am looking for an automatic feeder for my cat.

I purchased this one from Petco: http://www.petco.com/product/103940...ated_Dog_2-_-PetSafe 5-Meal Pet Feeder-103940

and while it works great, it is EXTREMELY loud when the bowl rotates, so much so that it jolts me from my sleep. The first time it rotated, it scared my cat and she avoided it. If this were silent, or not as loud, it would be perfect.

So then, I purchased this one: http://www.petco.com/product/100573...TopRated_Dog_1-_-PetSafe 2 Meal Feeder-100573

but it's extremely flimsy, and it doesn't work! I set the timer to open the lid after 2 hrs to test it, and it's now been 3 hrs, and the lid never opened.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Petco doesn't have any other options and I've been to several stores (Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Pet Depot) and nobody has other alternatives. I need these feeders for canned food, so the auto feeders for dry food won't work.

TIA!