Food What are your favorite low-cal recipes?

MadAboutShoe

Jun 27, 2008
This is my first thread, so be gentle! ;)

My SO and I are trying to eat as healthy as possible, and frankly, I'm not cooking enough because I really don't know many super healthy recipes. I can make some pretty mean pasta sauces, meat loaves, and various other fatty delights, but we're trying to avoid carbs, calories, and anything else bad.

So far I think my biggest accomplishment was a whole salmon I baked a couple of months ago. Stuffed only with dill, onion, garlic and salt (forgot the lemon!), we both thought it turned out really well.

What are your favorite easy, healthy and delicious recipes?

I can't think of a recipe right now, but one of my favorite things to buy is no fat sour cream. I use it in place of mayo a lot, like when I make salad dressing. You have to buy the right brand so it's nice and thick, the cheaper ones tend to be too watery.

Well, I'm trying to cook healthier and cut out carbs and sugar too. I've actually dropped like 7 pounds in 3.5 weeks and have not even been to the gym w/ doing this b/c I've been busy. I've been not eating carbs at night at all and trying to do whole grains during the day. For dinners, I've been doing grilled meats- chicken, fish, burgers w/o buns w/ fresh veggies. Try different seasonings and marinades. I did a marinade w/ olive oil, dijon mustard, Worcestershire and mixed herbs that was really great.

Also, I've been making fresh green beans almost every night. I got the idea of the Pioneer Woman Cooking blog, but basically, prep your green beans by snapping the ends first. Then, saute a little bit of olive oil and just a touch of butter/margarine w/ garlic (and onion and green peppers or whatever veggies you like). Once all that is browned, add in the beans, saute for a few minutes to give them a bit of color. Add a bunch of salt/pepper. Then, add chicken or veggie stock to the skillet, covering about halfway and cover the pan, cooking on med-low. Takes about 15 minutes and the green beans are delish!