Books & Music What Are You Reading?

I would be shocked if this book wasn't mentioned in the other thread but My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult made me weep like a little baby. It's about this 13-year-old girl who was i suppose a "designer baby" since she was picked by her parents specifically to save her sister by being a perfect donor match. She later goes to court against her parents for rights to her own body. I put off reading it for awhile because I am a horrible junk food novel consumer (meaning the books i read usually have no inherent value within them besides for pure guilty pleasure) and the book seemed to "serious" from the description and i wasn't sure if i could relate to the 13-year-old. But when i actually got to reading it i couldn't put it down. i thought it was a beautifully written book and i have yet to sample more of Jodi Picoult's work.

Eponineslove, have you read anything else by Atwood? She's AWESOME!! I recommend Oryx and Crake and of course The Handmaid's Tale especially.

Right now I'm on a Patrick McGrath kick. I re-read Martha Peake recently and then decided to try some of his other books. The Grotesque was wonderful! Currently I am reading Port Mungo.

For my "trash" reading I am working through the "Repairman Jack" series by F. Paul Wilson.

I totally agree, a literature thread/book club would be fabulous!

I've had the book "Marley and Me" laying unfinished for ages. Just have a few chapters left but I can't bring myself to read them cause I already know what happens. :crybaby: :crybaby:

I have a demon dog just like Marley in my home, a black Cane Corso Mastiff weighing in at almost 200 lbs. He has eaten every piece of furniture I have downstairs- but oh how I love him! I nearly cried when I called the trash company to come pick up my $5,000 special order leather sectional sofa this past fall. I'd had it a little more than a year. There were only fragments of it left. This book really hits home.

http://www.marleyandme.com/

home_book_top.jpg

home_book_bot.jpg

Otherwise, I read the occasionally trashy romance. lol :graucho: I also like John Grisham.
After I finished grad school, I swore off books that were enriching to the mind ever again. LMAO

Right now, I justfinished Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella. Good book if you haven't picked it up yet. My next book is Cocktails for Three by Madelaine Wickham (the real name of Sophie Kinsella). I'm sure it will be good, I have read all of her books under the pen name Kinsella. So now, I guess I will work on the ones under Wickham. She is a great author and I recommend her books to anyone that likes a good laugh.

I just read something called 20 lies about life in your 20's or something along thsoe lines.. i actually found it in the women's section and its short true stories but some big and small name writers about all the "myths" about life as a women in your 20's and then reality.. since im 23 im just starting to experience alot of the stuff .. all my friends r now reading it and they love it.. it helps you realize .. you are NOT alone :wlae:

Right now, I justfinished Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella. Good book if you haven't picked it up yet. My next book is Cocktails for Three by Madelaine Wickham (the real name of Sophie Kinsella). I'm sure it will be good, I have read all of her books under the pen name Kinsella. So now, I guess I will work on the ones under Wickham. She is a great author and I recommend her books to anyone that likes a good laugh.

i didn't know that was her pen name!!!

must go read all books by madelaine wickham now. :P

Nothing important, just Heart of Glass (one of those A-List novels) by Zoey Dean..it's along the lines of the Gossip Girls books. Also, a mystery called Acts of Violets by Kate Collins.

I just read something called 20 lies about life in your 20's or something along thsoe lines.. i actually found it in the women's section and its short true stories but some big and small name writers about all the "myths" about life as a women in your 20's and then reality.. since im 23 im just starting to experience alot of the stuff .. all my friends r now reading it and they love it.. it helps you realize .. you are NOT alone :wlae:

Do you happen to know the exact title? I can't find it on Amazon but it sounds like a good book for me. Thanks!

I love a light funny read so I'm reading Jen Lancaster's Bright Lights, Big Ass and Laurie Notaro's I Love Everybody (and other atrocious lies). I cant read Notaro's books in waiting rooms anymore because I literally cant help it and laugh out loud!!