What are some of your unpopular Chanel opinions?

Interesting thread! I’ve read the whole thing & here are my opinions...

I’ve been a Chanel fan since my mom watched Dynasty in the 80s & I saw Joan Collins’ character (the fabulous Alexis Morrell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan) with one! LOL!

Having said that...I think the Classic Flap & Reissue are meant to be carried & look better as shoulder bags. Maybe that’s bc i grew up seeing them that way since crossbody wasn’t as much of a look then like it is now, but every time I see them crossbody, I‘m like, nope, Im not quite there yet with that look. No offense to anyone!

Then there’s the Boy. Love, love, love it. I have 3, including the one I call the ‘disco’ bag -the Lambskin Chevron with the Holographic stripes (the 80s kid in me still digs anything holographic! LOL). LE for Fall 2017 (or sometime then?) My first Boy! Bought it & carried it every single day for 6 months until I took a good, hard look at the Lambskin. Um, not impressed. Showed far more ‘life’ than I’d always believed Lambskin would. So, I feel caviar wears far better. I have a WOC, CF, & 2 other Boys who ‘lived’ as hard as the disco bag, but do not show it.

And then there’s the opinion of it being nuts to buy the same bag in multiple leathers/colors/styles, etc...I have 3 Boys bc they just ’work’ for me. And I enjoy having a ‘backup’ in case one of the others has a QC issue & requires time away from me. LOL!

Im not sure how ‘unpopular’ these opinions are, except maybe the 3rd one!

-Don't get why people get the same bag in different colors, im talking about 5-6 different colors

I am definitely an offender lol. Before Chanel I didn’t repeat bags. Different leathers but the bag style was also different (easier to do with LV due to so many different leathers and styles- mahina, epi, empriente). Then I bought my first Chanel classic flap and my first 2.55 reissue. Since then I’ve been hooked. Can’t help it. :biggrin:

• Everything about the reissue rubs me the wrong way. I can't stand to look at it! (No offence to Reissue owners)
  • I actually don't mind the Gabrielle bag! It's a little awkward but I like it for a functional bag.
  • Paying hundreds or thousands for fake pearls is just ridiculous. I've always loved the Chanel station pearl necklaces but would much rather pay significantly less for a similar version with real pearls!
  • Classic flaps are not a "neutral". You can't wear them with everything! When I see someone wearing a t-shirt and leggings (or worse, sweatpants!) with a Chanel flap bag I cringe. You need to at least look half decent to wear a Chanel classic flap.
  • Speaking of classic flaps, I find black classic flaps to be a pretty boring purchase. I understand why people do it but for me, I could get a nice black staple bag from any other brand (for much less $$). If I'm spending thousands just on one bag it had better be a showstopper, not a "sensible" purchase that doesn't excite me.
  • Classic flaps (unless in an amazing fun colour) are too "uptight" for my taste. I much prefer the relaxed look and feel of the Chanel 19.
  • I don't like beige clair. I much prefer rose clair.
  • And to the brave PP who admitted they don't like the caramel colour from the latest collection, I'm not offended at all but I completely disagree! Haha. I normally don't like any tan, beige, light brown colours, but when I saw caramel my jaw dropped! Caramel Chanel 19 is heaven

• Everything about the reissue rubs me the wrong way. I can't stand to look at it! (No offence to Reissue owners)
  • I actually don't mind the Gabrielle bag! It's a little awkward but I like it for a functional bag.
  • Paying hundreds or thousands for fake pearls is just ridiculous. I've always loved the Chanel station pearl necklaces but would much rather pay significantly less for a similar version with real pearls!
  • Classic flaps are not a "neutral". You can't wear them with everything! When I see someone wearing a t-shirt and leggings (or worse, sweatpants!) with a Chanel flap bag I cringe. You need to at least look half decent to wear a Chanel classic flap.
  • Speaking of classic flaps, I find black classic flaps to be a pretty boring purchase. I understand why people do it but for me, I could get a nice black staple bag from any other brand (for much less $$). If I'm spending thousands just on one bag it had better be a showstopper, not a "sensible" purchase that doesn't excite me.
  • Classic flaps (unless in an amazing fun colour) are too "uptight" for my taste. I much prefer the relaxed look and feel of the Chanel 19.
  • I don't like beige clair. I much prefer rose clair.
  • And to the brave PP who admitted they don't like the caramel colour from the latest collection, I'm not offended at all but I completely disagree! Haha. I normally don't like any tan, beige, light brown colours, but when I saw caramel my jaw dropped! Caramel Chanel 19 is heaven
I wholeheartedly agree about the black classic flap being a pretty boring and sensible purchase. It never causes me to do a double take out in the real world. I love spotting those showstopper colors/bags and will likely compliment you on it if I see you carrying it. At the very least you’ll catch me staring at your bag! Haha.

And yes, I think the classic flap looks out of place with athleisure outfits. That’s what minis and reissues are for! (Love love love the reissue, but it was an acquired taste for me!)

This may be quite unpopular but here goes: I like the idea of owning a vintage bag, and they photograph well for influencers. However, when I see them in real life they just look like beat up bags in desperate need of replacement. I especially can’t stand the depressions in the quilts and creases. It’s a structured bag and when it’s so worn that it has cellulite, it needs to be retired.

Omg I totally agree with you on the new season caramel colour but never dared to vocalise my opinion cos it seem SO popular with everyone! I appreciate a good brown bag and how versatile it can be but the caramel+ quilt combi just looks really unappealing, especially in the larger sizes...

Not sure if this is an unpopular option but to me some lighter shades of diamond quilting in bigger bags look cheap and like diaper bags depending on the style. I think Chanel does some bags better in chevron than their signature diamond quilt!

I had the same feeling when it comes to the 19/20 grey flap. Everyone was crazy about it. I went to the store and felt it to be plasticky... just a weird grey... idk I hope for the 14b grey making a come back.

I enjoyed reading everyones non popular opinions! Here are mine:

Bring back the East west flap with the CC logos. They look just like the classic flaps but thinner, elegant, lighter, and cheaper!!

I prefer the seasonal styles! They are unique. I don’t have any interest in the more popular styles (Business affinity/gabrielle/boy/19/trendycc etc are boring). I still like the classic flaps.

I hate heavy bags so I actually prefer the fabric lining in bags!

• Chanel packaging is very boring even though it’s elegant. I love that Dior always does something fun and creative for the seasons etc! I love my items with the seasonal packaging because I can enjoy a change from just black and white constantly
  • I think Chanel needs to bring back more colors every season. I don’t think it should be just black or whatever
  • While I adore the timelessness of the CC logo, I do wish they could get a bit more creative with designs for seasonal or new classics and not always make that the focal point
  • Quilting is gorgeous but chevron is incredibly underrated and they should really use it for more bags
  • Chanel espadrilles tend to look unflattering and are not a very universal shoe the way the slingbacks or ballet flats are (in that even if they aren’t your taste, they can mostly work with any outfit)
  • Chanel should phase out the focus on costume jewelry - I think they ride the coat tails of the “classics” they are known for and have not tried that hard to experiment or play with creating something truly new and fresh. I even feel this way about a large portion of the Lagerfeld era, and I hope Virginia can bring some fun to the house
  • The Gabrielle bag and perfume are not pretty/very boring

I absolutely love reading everyones true thoughts. I dont know why I am so shy to write how I feel. Maybe because I dont want to hurt anyones feelings. But I think it will feel good to vent. Here we go;
-I also wondered why they chose Kristen Stewart. And the first thing that came to my mind is the affair she had with a married man a few years ago...just like Coco Chanel. ‍
-The reissue and the Gabriel are boring
(but I have to admit that fact that you can fold the reissue flat for traveling is pretty cool)
-I am not into the coco handle, the fact that its sooo much cheaper in terms of price than a classic flap makes it seem cheap in my eye, like a speedy.
-I’m not into the TrendyCC, looks like a briefcase and is way too fragile. Its a bag that will not age well because of all that heavy lambskin. Also reminds me of the pochette metis.
-I know people dont like bags that are lined with material inside but it makes it less heavy! The leather interior definitely adds weight.
-The new Caramel color that everyone is going crazy for, sucks.
-For some reason the Boybag and the Maxi flap are not very popular right now, which makes it the perfect time to buy at a good price on the preloved market.
-People that add all these plastic top handles chain things on their bags are making it look cheap.
-People that are buying these little metal clips to tie up their chains to shorten then, are gonna endup denting the interior of their bags thanks to that clip and the knotted chains.
-People that leave their bags out for display are gonna have full of little particules of dust stuck between the stitches of the quilts of their bags.
-People that are buying the new funny shaped sunglasses case to use as a bag, just no.
-The big O cases look like Ipad or Laptop cases.
-I dont like the look of the super old vintage bags. The super flat quilts makes me sad.
-Chanel needs to bring back the mini’s in Caviar!

Again I don't want to offend anyone. Just my random opinion. I thought it would just be fun to join in☺
Have a wonderful day my fellow Chanel addict
+1 :tup:

Everything you said!

Reactions: Spy and doni
Seasonal colors..... if I miss out then I get tuned out on buying bags for a little while. This is happening to me now with the rose clair color. It completely blindsided me and by the time I asked my SA for it, it was gone. And now I’m kinda “meh” on getting another classic for a while, which is probably best for my wallet

but knowing I may not get that particular color I want for what... 5-10 years later, is that good for customers?

Okay your first point goes against everything I have read about the different types of leather. Please elaborate.
Better late than never :P .
The way I look at this is: if you had to choose leather for a pair of loafers, would you go for caviar or lambskin?
The reason you have classic shoes in lambskin or the equivalent of box is that they are endlessly refurbishable. A pair of shoes in caviar would become bin material in a question of time.
Another way to look at it is checking vintage lambskin Chanel. My oldest is from the 80s and it is gorgeous and great condition.
I think nowadays we don’t buy for the long haul and that is why we focus on how quickly leather scratches instead of on how well it can be maintained and repaired over time.