What age would be appropriate to give daughter first LV?

I say it depends on the child. I know until I got to college my best friend and I both were not into designer items. Actually, I didn't really care about clothes or makeup. A gift like that, although nice, would have been loss on a child like me. It wasn't until I was about 20 or so that I even started to notice and now I can't get enough. I still wear no makeup but can't live without my handbags and shoes :biggrin:

I do know that my neice got her first LV the Christmas before she went off to college. It is something she had been asking for, she had good grades, and got a full scholarship into a very good school. It was a reward and a Christmas present.

No my personal opinion is that it depends on the child but she should have to work (not a job but good grades) to receive it.

First of all, congratulations! I totally understand how you feel! When I was pregnant, I felt that I wanted to buy my daughter a meaningful and special present, something she can use even when she is a grown up. Hence, I got her the monogram HL Sac! I did wanted to give it to her when she gets older but I couldn't wait! Then DH managed to get hold of the discontinued multicolore HL Sac and my daughter loves it cos of the bright colors! She is very girly and takes good care of her bags! She likes to bring it out for shopping! My avatar says it all, I guess!

I know that many posters might not agree With what I am doing but my daughter is not spolit and she loves other bags that are not branded as well. She loves wallets and hand bags and holds her magazine freebie lunch bag with equal pride!

I think getting her something special for her birth would be nice, and then not again until she's old enough to not lose it. Maybe a Mini HL when she is younger and only can carry it when she is with you (so you know where it is). I think as long as you feel comfortable giving her the bag to carry, then an age average doesn't really matter.

I agree with others about making the gift related to hard work (ie. straight As). It'll allow her to appreciate the bag because she understands that she had to work hard for it. The HS graduation idea is a good one too. :smile:

CONGRADS!!!! I had a boy and was pregnant with twins. I swore one up in there was a girl...Greek 6th sense and all. I am not girly. That would be the first time I ever touched the color pink. While I totally play video games and speak the male language of Indianna Jones and Jedi, having a girl whose toes I can paint was exciting.
I bought her TONS of stuff before I had them. She's covered for holidays for a while:P

So no you're not nuts. Everyone swore she'd be a Tom boy. Lemme tell you. The diva likes pocketbooks, pink, and lipgloss. It's awesome. The babies are 3; she picked herself a hello kitty satchel at the mall, I think I let out a squeak.

My sister gave me her Dooneys when I was 13ish. Daddy always bought me jewelry at all ages. Taught me to work hard. He spoiled me my whole life and I miss him. I am a hard worker (CFO) and don't shop on credit, ever. I always had straight A's. I came out fine:smile: I feel it was more how they raised me than what I got.

Many blessings to you and your baby!!

Minimum would be 18 and ONLY if she's into designer stuff (she might not even be into LV.. I know ! Sacre bleu !) I only started loving LV when I was about 22-23 years old.

my parents gifted me with my first LV at 18, first yr in university, sort of as a welcome to being an "adult"/ yay you're done with high school present...

personally, i think older is better, like sweet 16th or 18th bday, gifting a middle school child with a designer bag could spark problems in school and an addiction to bags that might get hard to deal with...

for that matter, my parents have learned that gifting any teenager (me) with a designer bag starts off a crazy addiction....

This sounds pretty good.

I have two girls, 8 & 5, and I don't plan on buying any designer items for them. However, every time I purchase designer purses or heirloom quality jewelry, I say to myself, "This Empreinte Artsy is Livvy's, this Vernis Summit Drive is for Katie." I would feel way too guilty about spending so much if I didn't justify the purchases as gifts to my girls.

my parents gifted me with my first lv at 18, first yr in university, sort of as a welcome to being an "adult"/ yay you're done with high school present...

Personally, i think older is better, like sweet 16th or 18th bday, gifting a middle school child with a designer bag could spark problems in school and an addiction to bags that might get hard to deal with...

For that matter, my parents have learned that gifting any teenager (me) with a designer bag starts off a crazy addiction....

agree!!

I have a 21 month old little girl.......I can't wait to go pocketbook shopping with her!! That is a ways away. I would like to buy her a small Coach bag at maybe her 13th or 16th birthday. but she would also have to get good grades. As for a Louie..............I am old..30 something (clearing my throat) and I just got my first Louie pieces. I don't see anything wrong with rewarding for responsible behavior...example grades.