Went to Minneapolis LV store in Macy's they thought this fake bag was real

So I posted earlier this week about purchasing a LV Galliera on eBay. I was certain it was real. When it first arrived the corner of he seam was slightly peeling. I stopped by LV store in Minneapolis and asked them about it they said it was normal and they told me they loved my bag. I actually totally forgot about this until my boyfriend mentioned it tonight.

I carried it for a few weeks then noticed a stitch had popped. I brought it to the LV store in Edina, MN and after the SA looked at it she knew it was fake.

I'm shocked an LV sales employee did not spot this as a fake. Most of the girls in here could tell. I didn't know bc I usually only buy multicolor bags and I assumed the texture of lining was different in the monogram bags.

My bf just reminded me this happened and I had to share. Scary.

Last edited:
I guess you just have to remember that while for some people LV is a passion, for others it's just a job. Not everybody is going to be skilled or knowledgeable about every make/model. But still, the Galliera is a common enough bag (and still in production, right?) that you'd think a SA, even new to the job, should be able to spot discrepancies. It is sad that happened to you.

I have to check your other thread... did you get everything worked out? I hope so. Getting stuck with a fake is so frustrating.

LV staff don't authenticate, so this is consistent with how it goes. Actually, it would have been surprising if they'd said you have a fake. This has been discussed a lot here--everyone knows that people walk into LV all the time with stuff bought from eBay, and with fakes. In your case you weren't trying to fool them, but others do, and they just nod and carry on their business.

even though they are know NOT to authenticate items - the SA obviously did not have a clue that the bag was not real or she would not have said anything. she would have just ignored it! alisaxlee made a very good point - :tup:while for some people LV is a passion, for others it's just a job and sadly we can't expect these salespeople to know or even care all about a brand they are selling!!

Just a thought, but do you think they were being polite? Maybe they were told not to call out a fake?
I also agree with the fact that to some people it's just a job, they might not have known or cared if it was fake as horrible as that sounds.

Just a thought, but do you think they were being polite? Maybe they were told not to call out a fake?
I also agree with the fact that to some people it's just a job, they might not have known or cared if it was fake as horrible as that sounds.

No they thought it was real they were gushing over it.

The purpose if me being in there was to ask about a peeling seam Which should have been a sign of it being a fake. They told me it was normal and of I wanted to I could send it in to be fixed.

There were three of them and they all thought it was real as did I.

Scary!

I doubt that a smart SA will call out a fake. There are way too many posts in the LV forum about SA doing that when the items are real, LE, SO or vintage and causing huge issues. SA are there to make a sale not pass judgement or authenticate. Sending it off for repair is a standard answer. They would then call you to tell you that it was unable to be repaired as it is not one of their products.