Wedding, to go or not to go?

I think you should go - for the sake of good relations. After all, your parents and hers are really close and this may not be the last occassion you'll have to attend... Is there a deeper reason why you don't want to go? Did something happen between you and her?

If you really don't want to go then just make up a good excuse -- get sick, have finals or work.

I don't think it's a very big deal since you haven't even been speaking to or hanging out with her for years.

Maybe she sort of felt like she should invite you since you were matchmaker...but won't really be hurt if you miss it?

If you don't want to go--don't. I've gone to WAY too many weddings. A number of which I went unwillingly. I didn't have a great time.

You shouldn't feel obligated to go. Sending a nice card or gift is an appropriate and thoughtful gesture. Your attendance is NOT required.

ally24k said:
haha lol, i love weddings! i get to dress up too! i'll go to anyone's wedding if i get invited or if i'm someone else's guest.

I'm the same. I love weddings, and I believe it's a great honour to be invited. DH and I went to a wedding recently where we were invited by the mother of the groom, who is a very good friend of my mum (and came to our wedding last year). We didn't know the bride or the groom! But my mum was there, as were my sister and her husband, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

But if you're going to be unhappy at the wedding, don't put yourself in that position. I'm sure they will understand.

I am going to go against the grain and advise you to go- for your parents. I've learned as I've gotten older that parents love to take their kids to these events. It gives them a chance to be the proud Mom and Pop and meet up with family and old friends. Its not any fun but I think your parents would appreciate you going with them. Also don't underestimate the amount of single guys who will be there as well. ;)

I would suck it up and go. They will be pleased to see you, and it can't be that bad. Better than the dentist.:amuse: Take a date or friend with so you won't be bored.

You probably should go. You hooked them up, after all. If you thought you were going to be entirely miserable then don't. Few things feel worse than being at a wedding where you absolutely feel like a hostage and can't leave.

Is there a particular reason why you really really don't want to go?

If it's not in a faraway location, you could go to the ceremony, sit with your parents, go to the reception for a little while ,and then quietly leave. That way you will have made a nice gesture to the bride, her family and your parents too while not making yourself totally miserable by having to stay for the entire thing...