Wearing White to a wedding??

So I bought this dress for a wedding in a few weeks. I thought absolutely nothing of it being controversial when I bought it. I showed a picture to my friend and she questioned it being mostly white. Would you wear this dress to a wedding? Do you think it would be an issue? To me, it doesn't resembles bridal gown at all so in my mind, I don't see the issue.

I personally don't see the issue with this dress, but then again it seems like my opinion would be one of the more unpopular ones on this thread.

I didn't realize this was such a heated topic. I was only asking because one friend said it might be a problem, but a different friend that it was fine. I honestly wouldn't care if someone wore this dress to my wedding. I thought nothing of it. So I was just curious what other people's opinions were on the matter. I still think it's pretty trivial unless you're going in a long white gown.

If you have to ask and try to convince people that its appropriate then it probably isn't! Don't wear it. These posts get old quick tbh

Agreed. My aunt once asked my sister ON her wedding day (as if she didn't have enough to worry about already) if she could wear white to my sister's wedding (b/c she couldn't find any other color dress in the whole wide world?!!). Of course my sister couldn't say no, but it was just plain wrong no matter how you look at it. If you have any doubts, don't do it!

Last edited:
I didn't realize this was such a heated topic. I was only asking because one friend said it might be a problem, but a different friend that it was fine. I honestly wouldn't care if someone wore this dress to my wedding. I thought nothing of it. So I was just curious what other people's opinions were on the matter. I still think it's pretty trivial unless you're going in a long white gown.

But that's the whole point - it's not about what you think, it's about what the bride wants since it's her day. You can wear that dress to any other event, any other day. Why insist on wearing it to a wedding? The responses you're getting here are probably similar to what you're going to get at the wedding, though I doubt anyone will actually call you out on it, so I mean, go ahead and wear it if you really want. We're just saying what most people will be thinking.

But that's the whole point - it's not about what you think, it's about what the bride wants since it's her day. You can wear that dress to any other event, any other day. Why insist on wearing it to a wedding? The responses you're getting here are probably similar to what you're going to get at the wedding, though I doubt anyone will actually call you out on it, so I mean, go ahead and wear it if you really want. We're just saying what most people will be thinking.

What do you mean it's not about what I think? I'm just stating my opinion like you and everyone else is. You don't actually know what the bride is thinking and wants. That's why I said that if I was a bride, I wouldn't care. The point is not everything thinks the same.

I don't INSIST on wearing it. I don't HAVE to wear it. But this is the dress I really like out there and it happens to be in this color combination.

Honestly, some of the responses people have made over this question throughout this entire thread are so judgmental and defensive. Over the color of a dress.

What do you mean it's not about what I think? I'm just stating my opinion like you and everyone else is. You don't actually know what the bride is thinking and wants. That's why I said that if I was a bride, I wouldn't care. The point is not everything thinks the same.

I don't INSIST on wearing it. I don't HAVE to wear it. But this is the dress I really like out there and it happens to be in this color combination.

Honestly, some of the responses people have made over this question throughout this entire thread are so judgmental and defensive. Over the color of a dress.

I don't think anyone means to be mean... it's just one of those unwriten rules; don't wear white to someone elses wedding.

But you're right, there are more important things in life to worry about...
Having said that... you really don't want to upset a bride on her big day (and ASKING the bride if she would mind you wearing the dress is another thing you want to avoid) ;)

The dress is cute! I like it alot! does it come in any other color combos?

I don't think anyone means to be mean... it's just one of those unwriten rules; don't wear white to someone elses wedding.

But you're right, there are more important things in life to worry about...
Having said that... you really don't want to upset a bride on her big day (and ASKING the bride if she would mind you wearing the dress is another thing you want to avoid) ;)

The dress is cute! I like it alot! does it come in any other color combos?

Thanks! No it doesn't come in any other color combos. I wish it did. I would just buy that one.

I'm not saying you can't express your opinion. What I meant is that you don't know what the bride thinks and so why risk it. If it was your wedding and you want to let everyone wear white, that's totally cool, but unfortunately it's not your wedding this time. We're not being harsh, it's just the truth that wear a white based dress to a wedding and this is what people will think. In the end it's not that bit of a deal but then again, neither is wearing a different color, so it's just whatever you're comfortable with.

I'm one of the '2%' that thinks this rule is antiquated. Personally I have never and would never wear white, black or red to anybody's wedding, out of respect for various cultural norms around the world, but I have also been to enough where I've seen all three. Like Pippa, like countless MILs who go cream and eggshell and ivory, what applies in the circle of the majority of people responding to this thread doesn't apply everywhere. What is a no-no to me is admonishing someone simply for asking a question in order to educate themselves.

This June, I attended the most formal of weddings in Rome liberally sprinkled with barons and counts and knights of Malta(!) that ticked off every box on the etiquette list. There were enough people wearing white and nobody looked twice.

What saddened me about the original 2010 thread was so many people saying you shouldn't ask a bride even if she's close personal or family friend. I would never consider calling someone 'close' to me if I couldn't count on a honest reply.

I do agree if you're not close, don't ask, don't risk offending and don't wear it. :smile:

Though if you move in circles where the bride is liable to wear a stunning McQueen gown, it's harder to outshine her! It might not be the case for more average weddings where this might actually be possible. Personally is wear yellow at my wedding and let everyone wear whatever, but most people want to follow the norms and no one wants to potentially be the person that the bride thinks of as upstaging her on her once in a lifetime day.

What's everyone's thoughts on wearing white to a bachlorette party? The theme is euro trash so mini skirts, bad fake tans, stripper heels etc

Even at bachlorette events, bride-to-bes usually wear some sort of white variation outfit to signify their position or celebration. I don't think you should wear white to a bachlorette event either--just to be safe.

Pippa was a bridesmaid, not a guest. That means the bride selected her dress and the white was "approved."

On another note, what other wedding guest dress rules do you think still apply? I think black is definitely okay at night now, what about for a daytime wedding? What about red? What do you think of other non-traditional wedding guest options? Pantsuit? Dressy jumpsuit? Sweater dress?

I find it difficult to navigate appropriate wedding wear these days, especially with so many weddings in "alternative" (non religious) venues.