Watch the The Owl Box (Streaming Video)

la miss

parigote
May 4, 2007
Thousands watch as owlets hatch in California yard
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100329...sZV9zdW1tYXJ5X2xpc3QEc2xrA3Rob3VzYW5kc3dhdA--

Mon Mar 29, 4:44 pm ET
SAN MARCOS, Calif. – A barn owl couple in California has given birth to a family and a fan club.

Two years ago, Carlos and Donna Royal made an owl box, put it on top of a 15-foot pole in their northern San Diego County back yard and hooked up a video camera. Barn owls Molly and McGee moved into the box in January and started a family.

Since ustream.tv/theowlbox debuted, it's had more than 3 million hits. More than 17,000 people watched as the first owlet hatched on March 21. A fourth baby owl hatched Sunday, with one egg remaining.

The Royals have named the babies Max, Pattison, Austin and Wesley.

Watch them here: http://www.ustream.tv/theowlbox

I just watched the mama owl fall asleep. The chicks are so tiny and skinny and the mother is enormous. It almost looks like she could crush them by sitting on them.

Oh, and there's a dead mouse in there. I guess they're saving it for later. Fascinating...

Owl update...

I stayed up last night to wait for the papa owl, his name is McGee. He shows up every night at around 8:30 pm PDT bringing food for Molly and the kids and also to get a little loving from Molly. :graucho: It's pretty funny, he comes in drops the grub, wham bam thank you ma'am and he's out of there. Lol. Anyway so last night he came and brought like three or four mice or voles I couldn't really tell what they were.

The baby owlets are getting so big so fast they can barely fit under their mama anymore. The oldest one's eyes are starting to open and they are starting to be less naked-looking. Starting to get fluffy like a baby chick almost. There are four chicks but there is still one egg left. Usually Molly sits on it all the time but yesterday there was a period of time when she didn't sit on it and also the day before she neglected it twice for a period of time. They are starting to think that maybe that last egg won't hatch. If it does, it should happen today. Well that's all for now. I am totally in love with this owl family. :love:

Owl update:

The last egg didn't hatch :sad:

But the other owlets are doing great. They are getting to be really bit and most of them can no longer fit under the Mommy owl anymore. The littlest one is still pretty small though. Also they are starting to be really cute. They are covered in white down and they're starting to flap their little stubby wings and feed themselves.