Was i offered a Birkin?

ztory

O.G.
Jan 13, 2010
I just have a small questions to you more experience Hermes buyers. Was i offered a Birkin?
Im not a person that can afford to buy a Birkin (right now), yes i have my share of designer handbags, but its mostly Celine and a Fendi Peekaboo from VC, but not in Birkin price range. From Hermes i have some scarves, bracelets and perfume but handbags are out of my league.

But still, im curious about what happened the other day.

About a week ago, on my birthday, i visited the Hermes boutique in Stockholm. Wanted to try on the Cape Code Double Tour 29x29 watch in barenia leather. But mostly i was there to try out a new perfume.

While waiting for the SA to put the watches back in the display case I went to just have a quick look at the Birkin and Kelly in the display window a few meters from the watches. When the SA saw me returning from the bags she asked me "do you want to try it"? And quickly took the Birkin 25 in gold GHW out of the display and handed it to me. We talked a lot about it and then she also took out the Kelly 32 for me to try as well.

Was she only nice to me, showing me the bags? Or was i actually offered one? Do you think she would have sold one to me if i would have said "I take it!" or would she then say "No, it is not for sale.!" I have read and heard that you have to have a relationship with your SA, and mostly buy a lot of other products from Hermes to be offered one.

Please give me your honest opinion in the matter, its really no big deal if i was offered one or not since i cant buy it. But its just some fun fact if i was.

I don't think you were offered that specific B/K IMHO. H SAs are usually really nice, she probably saw you were interested and let you try the bags. This sounds more like a good starting point from which you can build your relationship.

And no, at H, if the bag is on display it doesn't mean it is available for everyone.

Last edited:
Hard to say. I was once shown a Birkin when starting my Hermes journey, and was told that it was "not for sale" before I was allowed to try it on (but it was said in a nice way, which I actually appreciated the SA's honesty).

Well, what did she say when you were talking about it/trying it on? Did she give any clues as to wanting to/being able to sell it to you? Did you talk about or mention the price?

I guess she was offering to open a wishlist for you and continue to build the relationship.

It took me a few purchases from my SA to be offered to try out sample bags for size and nail down what was the right size for my first wishlist item.

If you think you may be in a position to afford a bag in a few months, no harm in creating a wishlist next time!

From what you described I would not assume you were offered one. She might have added you on the wishlist or explained their respective system if you had asked. I think with H you have to tell them actively if you want something, especially the coveted bags and see how they react.

Reactions: Nerja and WhiteBus