WARNING, Paypal just made me lose $20 THOUSAND dollars from a scamming buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sick I can barely type this.

Here is the Cliffs Notes version of the story:
Zero FB buyer buys a Hermes Birkin from me off of Ebay but via Paypal. Bag is authentic without a doubt. I sold it for around $11K and placed a SECURITY TAG on it.

Buyer receives the bag, loves the bag and states this in an email.

Buyer files a SNAD for a non authentic bag the SAME day she emailed me telling me she loved it.

Never contacts me, nothing.........

My PP account was $11K NEGATIVE for well over a month while PP "investigated."

Paypal never asked me to provide anything to them. BUT I did anyways to protect myself. I sent them the receipt for the bag, and I also had it authenticated from a verified authenticator of Hermes on their letterhead. This authentication service is part of a copyright protection legal firm. I paid $150 out of my own pocket to show without a shadow of a doubt the bag is authentic.

I also sent them all of the emails back and forth prior to the sale and explained on a 3 page letter why I felt the buyer was going to pull a bait and switch because she refused to answer any of my emails.

Well, Paypal does not CARE because today they refunded the buyer all of her money and let her KEEP the bag because she signed an affidavit stating she "destroyed" it.

Sure Paypal.......a scammer just got a $11K bag for FREE and they are going to destroy it???? Yeah, OK.

So, now I lost $11K back to her and she gets to keep my $9K bag. So, I have a total loss of over $20 THOUSAND dollars.

I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN use Paypal for Hermes bags EVER!!!!!

I am going to file an appeal but I am sure the same sick people at Paypal that seem to believe all buyers are honest and sellers are liars will find it in her favor again.

Paypal told me I cannot file an appeal because the bag is "destroyed." They told me my only option is to hire an attorney to dispute it with their legal department.

I don't HAVE ANY MONEY for an attorney because I am now out $20K. I want to cry, scream, and hit something. I spoke with a supervisor, I did EVERYTHING and they just keep telling me the same generic answer of , "Paypal has decided to rule this dispute in the buyer's favor." They will not tell me WHY at all!!!!

I absolutely believe that the buyer plotted this all along and had a fake bag that looked like mine already in her possession when she purchased mine. She sent her fake to be "authenticated" as mine and boom! Must be the same bag I sent, right??? I had a security tag on it and PP did NOT CARE. I have been on the phone with them for an hour and spoke with the supervisor that "investigated" it and she said the exact same garbage as the claims rep. "We found it in the buyer's favor and we cannot tell you why." I provided them with a RECEIPT and a legal letter of authenticity!! They said that in ALL cases as SNAD for authenticity, PP will ALWAYS side with the buyer as long as the buyer submits something stating it is not authentic. For instance, she takes a fake bag to be authenticated so they automatically side with them even though I proved the OPPOSITE. They said, "We have no proof she submitted a fake bag, so we have to believe her that she sent the one you sold her." My response was that I did not sell her a fake bag and I submitted a lot of info backing this up. PP said as long as the buyer shows "something" the item is not authentic, they will win and the item will be "destroyed."

So the buyer is ALWAYS right according to them. It is so unreal to me. She said I can only dispute it with an atty outside of Paypal and there is nothing they can do to assist me further. After contacting a few big H resellers I have discovered this EXACT scenario happened to them and that is why they only do wire transfers now. I will NEVER sell ANYONE a H bag without a wire transfer again.

I hope the buyer enjoys her Birkin in Hell.
Have you contacted a SUPERVISOR at Ebay???? If not, wait until Monday....No one with any clout is working on the weekends....Also KEEP trying with Paypal....That is total BS.....Good luck!

I almost cried reading this. I'm sorry for what happened to you. I can't believe that this company can keep doing this to people. I get sad baing in canada and seeing a lot of auctions us only but I understand that once it crosses that border, its a lot harder to do anything about it.

Well if your account is negative, then that must mean you removed the original 11K? So basically, you will be hounded by collections until you pay it. I had this happen to me, (long story, same scenario) but I just let it stay negative and told Paypal to screw themselves because they sided with a scamming buyer of mine a while back, and will let them pay for their bad decision. I opened another account and still get collections to this day because of it. Paypal is relentless in their pursuit. My point is that you did get the money out, right? At least if you did, it wouldn't be such a hard hit. Ugh, makes me ill the power Paypal has. I don't know who the bigger criminal is.

Have you contacted a SUPERVISOR at Ebay???? If not, wait until Monday....No one with any clout is working on the weekends....Also KEEP trying with Paypal....That is total BS.....Good luck!
It was a SUPERVISOR of the claims department that I spoke with that told me all this BS.

It was not an ebay transaction.

Well if your account is negative, then that must mean you removed the original 11K? So basically, you will be hounded by collections until you pay it. I had this happen to me, (long story, same scenario) but I just let it stay negative and told Paypal to screw themselves because they sided with a scamming buyer of mine a while back, and will let them pay for their bad decision. I opened another account and still get collections to this day because of it. Paypal is relentless in their pursuit. My point is that you did get the money out, right? At least if you did, it wouldn't be such a hard hit. Ugh, makes me ill the power Paypal has. I don't know who the bigger criminal is.
No, my account WAS negative $11K when I had moved the funds to my checking account BEFORE the dispute was activated. I put it BACK so the balance was $0 instead of negative $11K so I could continue buying and selling small things.

It is at $0 right now. So, yes, PP did take the $11K. I have excellent credit and am not willing to mess that up by having collections after me for the rest of time messing up my credit score.

oops...i'm a moron...sorry didn't catch the part it was OFF Ebay....First...APPEAL, immediately? Monday A.M., climb your way up the Paypal food chain of supervisors...Call Omaha, there is an area code 402 number on the site. good luck...

^Oops. What information can you give us about the buyer? You would be surprised how amazing some of the detective women are on here. Amazing.
I know.........but if this is to be handled, it will be handled in a court of law......No one would really be able to do anything because it is a done deal on PP's end. It is not like just because all of us on TPF find her house :ninja:and go there and make her life hell she will send me back my original bag.......

Trust me, you have no idea how badly I want to go there and show up on her doorstep.

My stomach is quesy from reading this story. OP, I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. I am truly sorry this horrible person found their way into your life. I am in complete disbelief and very upset by all of this. You stated that now you will only take wire transfers but normally that is said to be a red flag for buyers. How will you manage to sell if people see that as a red flag. I know your head is reeling right now. These stories are more and more frequent. I hope ebay collapses on itself with scamming sellers selling only to scamming buyers! That is my wish for ebay. Likewise, the honest sellers and buyers find a means to find each other in a utopic commerce environment. A girl can dream can't she?

oops...i'm a moron...sorry didn't catch the part it was OFF Ebay....First...APPEAL, immediately? Monday A.M., climb your way up the Paypal food chain of supervisors...Call Omaha, there is an area code 402 number on the site. good luck...
Nope, I was told an appeal is not an option because the bag has been "destroyed." I was told the only avenue is to contact a private attorney and go to civil court.

Since it would be difficult to sue the buyer, can you sue PayPal for incorrectly ruling against you? You submitted more than enough proof to show that the bag was authentic. They were negligent by not doing a proper investigation before refunding the buyer.

My stomach is quesy from reading this story. OP, I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. I am truly sorry this horrible person found their way into your life. I am in complete disbelief and very upset by all of this. You stated that now you will only take wire transfers but normally that is said to be a red flag for buyers. How will you manage to sell if people see that as a red flag. I know your head is reeling right now. These stories are more and more frequent. I hope ebay collapses on itself with scamming sellers selling only to scamming buyers! That is my wish for ebay. Likewise, the honest sellers and buyers find a means to find each other in a utopic commerce environment. A girl can dream can't she?
I have excellent FB for H, LV, etc. and have received a lot of wire transfers in the past.

All, or most, of the Birkin resellers will only take a small PP deposit and a large sum wire for the rest these days for Hermes because they have ALL experienced this EXACT scenario.

I have actually sold a lot of bags by wire, not PP. Sometimes, people that buy these bags prefer it.

Since it would be difficult to sue the buyer, can you sue PayPal for incorrectly ruling against you? You submitted more than enough proof to show that the bag was authentic. They were negligent by not doing a proper investigation before refunding the buyer.
Now THAT is an avenue that I can look into further when I contact an attorney Monday. I am planning to contact the firm that authenticated my bag for me as they specialize in copyright/trademark lawsuits.

Thank you for this idea.......I am so frazzled I did not even think of that yet.

I am completely sickened by this story. I am so, so sorry.

A friend of my sister's lives here in the Bay Area and she used to be a producer at KRON (and still might be, I'm not sure), if you want to PM me I could put you in touch with her and she might be able to get you some press. Let me know and I'd be happy to help.

^^ I would also think that any buyer willing and able to spend so much money on an online auction would understand the reasoning behind the seller accepting wire transfers only

Status
Not open for further replies.