Wardrobe and loosing weight??

Don't buy too much on your way down the scale. I made that mistake and have tons of clothes that are way too big now, lots still with tags. I lost 60 lbs. in 5 months. I was so excited with my early weight loss I was shopping all the time. I didn't realize I was going to lose so quickly. I went from a 14 to a 2/4. Talk to friends & family with similar style that have lost or are losing weight and see if they have stuff they can give, trade, or sell to you. A friend of mine is starting the program I used to lose weight, and I plan on giving her clothes so she doesn't have to waste her money.

I know how you feel I have now lost 25lbs in 2 months. I went from a size 10 to a 6 and I am still losing. I ended up going to consignment stores and grabbing pants as I am losing so fast I can't keep up. My shirts I can still wear as I wear them loose anyways. My undergarments are another matter. I keep having to go buy new ones as they are saggy. My bra size went from a 34C to a 32 A in 2 months ugh.

I am in a similar boat. I gained almost 30 pounds about three years ago after getting sick. I am only now SLOWLY starting to get back into some of my old clothing.

Another option for now is to check out consignment stores if your ok with slightly used clothing. Cheaper than full price, and if its only going to be with you for a little bit, you can RE-CONSIGN them when your done with them.

to all those who have lost the weight already, congrats, and to those still working on it I wish you luck and patience. NOT EASY!!

EDIT - ok, it seems the consignment idea was already suggsted. sorry! but think also about bringing the stuff that is TOO big to consign as it will also lesson the burden of cost in replacing things.

Congrats on the current weight loss! I would recommend not spending too much on clothes or buying a whole lot right now. If your currently a 12 and going to drop down to a 6/8, that is quite a size difference and the items that you buy in a 12 won't fit properly after you lose more weight. Purchase a few leggings, summer dresses and tunic tops and hopefully that will get you through the summer.

Wow! You guys have some amazing weight loss stories. I think we need a sub-thread on weight loss strategies!!!

Anyway, here's my take on the situation:
- If you're not too icky about wearing seconds, raid Salvos/thrift stores/flea markets for stuff. You'll be amazed at what quality clothing (and often, brand names too!) get tossed out for sale!
- eBay has tons of stuff.

Overall, I'd say to just pick out a few pieces per month and find new ways to wear them. Then the next month, pick out another few pieces and so at any 1 point, you'll at least have a few pieces that fit and a few others which are ill-fitted.

That said, losing weight is a great cause for celebration! I'd be quite happy to blow money shopping for new togs if I was losing that much weight! Congrats!

Firefly32, it is so awesome that you are making so much progress towards getting yourself healthier. Your wardrobe issue might be annoying but it is definitely a great "problem" to have :smile:

I think everyone has posted here has had some great ideas, particularly with the suggestion of dresses; I think jersey maxi-dresses would work with you for a couple more sizes down throughout the summer. If the top of the dress is spaghetti-strapped or sleeveless, there's one less aspect of size (shoulders & sleeves) to consider with clothing fit as you lose body mass.

Congrats on the weight loss- Btwn 07-08, I lost 60lbs. I wore a lot of dresses- esp wrap dresses. I bought a lot of cute disposable clothes (that have managed to last till this very day) and I bought a lot of clothes on sale at br, j.crew etc.

you lost 100lbs? :nuts: OMG!! I could have never known you were heavier.because honestly everything you wear looks amazing on you!!!.CONGRATS!! How did you do it??

I'm not sure about your preference/wardrobe needs (are you a jeans person or dresses/skirts/etc?)

Jeans - Jeggings are an excellent option
Dresses/skirts - Body con stuff will work the same way

As other people mentioned, Forever 21, H&M, places like that will give you the trendy pieces without the heavy price tags. Also try clearance stuff online like Macy's, Nordstroms, and Express...

Target has quality stuff that is relatively inexpensive too...

I totally understand where you're coming from. I hit my 100lb lost mark this past weekend... the loss was over the last 2yrs. I cannot tell you how much money I've wasted on clothing while downsizing...

I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I buy stretchy (wrap) dresses, tunic tops, cheap tank tops, long or cropped cardigans, a few cheaper pairs of wide-leg trousers and lots of leggings. I buy all this from high street stores or consignment shops and I invest in bags, shoes, scarves and jewelry, which will always fit me. Good luck! :smile:

Great suggestions in this thread!

you lost 100lbs? :nuts: OMG!! I could have never known you were heavier.because honestly everything you wear looks amazing on you!!!.CONGRATS!! How did you do it??

Thanks! I wish I could say there's a magic pill that you take, or something you drink or whatever... but honestly, I just changed my lifestyle. Exercised 5x a week, became more aware of what I was putting in my body, etc.

Also, TBH, I have an eating disorder that unfortunately helped facilitate the weight loss process.

I am in this same predicament! I have lost almost 15 lbs. so far and have dropped a pants/shirt size. Now I intend to lose at least 30 more, so, I don't want to go out and spend a ton on a new wardrobe at this point. But, I also don't want to walk around with my jeans falling off me! LOL

I have been going to good 2nd hand stores and buying pants and jeans there and picking up shirts at sales at Gap, Old Navy, BR and some other cheap local stores. If you go to a good 2nd hand store (here in NYC we have tons of them!), the items there are very good quality and even a ton of designer goods. Clothes can be washed, so, slightly used does not bother me!

Just last week I bought a pair of jeans at Old navy on sale for $25, they look nice on me and when I lose more weight and they don't fit me anymore, I won't feel bad about it

Congrats on the weight loss, keep on going strong!

Last edited:
I didn't buy a new wardrobe until I stop losing. I wore drapey things instead of fitted and some had to be pinned so it didn't fall off. You might want to by one short, pants, etc to get you through, but I wouldn't go on a spree if you are still losing.

I say manage what you have now or buy some cheap outfits to supplement. I lost 90 lbs in the last 10 months and I have new cloths everywhere in my closet. I went from size 18 to an 8 and I have brand new size 12 and 10 cloths still in tags all over my closet. really expensive cloths , so that can be depressing. I don't want to give them to goodwill anymore because I've given out tons already. I will alter the once I can alter and just give out the rest to family members.