Wallet issues...again

solai

O.G.
Jun 29, 2008
I brought my damier zippy wallet in to be reglazed after owning it for only 7 months. It took 6 weeks for the reglazing to be done, and I got it back 1 day ago. Noticed today that the glazing is lifting again! I called Louis Vuitton and my SA advised me to bring it in for the manager to access. They were very nice and offered me a new wallet. However, the new one had faint cracks on the glazing already and I didn't want to trade one problem for another. I actually looked at two new wallets and they both had cracks. Again, they were very nice and accommodating and will order me in another one. However, the experience soured me a bit as I want my wallet to last me years and years and I am afraid that this won't be the case with Louis wallets anymore. I know they used to be durable and workhorses, but it is becoming more evident that their quality is deteriorating. I have my doubts that the third wallet will be acceptable quality. What have others been experiencing with their new wallets?? Particularly the zippy and the glazing?

solai said:
I brought my damier zippy wallet in to be reglazed after owning it for only 7 months. It took 6 weeks for the reglazing to be done, and I got it back 1 day ago. Noticed today that the glazing is lifting again! I called Louis Vuitton and my SA advised me to bring it in for the manager to access. They were very nice and offered me a new wallet. However, the new one had faint cracks on the glazing already and I didn't want to trade one problem for another. I actually looked at two new wallets and they both had cracks. Again, they were very nice and accommodating and will order me in another one. However, the experience soured me a bit as I want my wallet to last me years and years and I am afraid that this won't be the case with Louis wallets anymore. I know they used to be durable and workhorses, but it is becoming more evident that their quality is deteriorating. I have my doubts that the third wallet will be acceptable quality. What have others been experiencing with their new wallets?? Particularly the zippy and the glazing?

Maybe try another material other than Damier like mono, vernis or epi??

wow, this is so disappointing. so sorry this happened to your zippy. i have been on the verge of getting a zippy myself, and didn't realize there had been issues like this. i was wondering, where was your wallet made? do you think the country of origin has any bearing on the cracking, or are they all having this problem? i would be curious to know if the mono is doing this as well. good luck with the outcome.

solai said:
They did suggest that, however I am very fond of my damier zippy. I will just wait till one without flaws come in.

I love Damier canvas too! :smile: but sadly, a lot of people have issues with it especially the Damier Ebene neverfull with peeling and glazing issues. If you are in love with the Damier zippy then don't settle and just look around at different lv stores. Just be careful, you don't want the same issues to arise

wow, this is so disappointing. so sorry this happened to your zippy. i have been on the verge of getting a zippy myself, and didn't realize there had been issues like this. i was wondering, where was your wallet made? do you think the country of origin has any bearing on the cracking, or are they all having this problem? i would be curious to know if the mono is doing this as well. good luck with the outcome.

I believe the mono and damier canvas material are similar that this issue could occur with mono as well. The cracks are in the glazing. It seems like it was flexed before the glaze dried, or the glaze was put on too thin. The damier NF handle issues are with the Leather part of the handles I believe.

My wallet was made in USA, but I don't feel USA products are inferior. i believe it is probably a high demand and not enough personnel to keep up issue. They are making the popular items too quickly and the quality is suffering. Maybe the Christmas rush produced products they were rushed though quality control. Anyway, I looove my zippy wallet and don't feel that I would want another style/pattern wallet any time soon so I will wait. At least this time I get to use my wallet until a suitable one arrives.

I had glazing peel on a mono Sarah after 7 months, they replaced with a new one, but the new one has a slight crack in the glazing. I've had this one 5 months, the small crack has not grown bigger yet.

I had glazing peel on a mono Sarah after 7 months, they replaced with a new one, but the new one has a slight crack in the glazing. I've had this one 5 months, the small crack has not grown bigger yet.

Your post is just like reading my own... 7 months peel and new wallets have faint cracks. Good to know that the crack isn't getting larger. Maybe if the new one that comes is is not too bad, I will take it. Thx

this is a real concern about the glazing/cracking issues. honestly, a wallet this expensive should last years without looking distressed. do you all think the materials have changed? did the older wallets do this? or is a wallet just a bad idea for coated canvas because of the constant flexing?? i am disappointed to hear of these quality issues.

I don't consider reglazing a quality issue unless the wallet is almost new. I get all my wallets periodically reglazed to stop them from cracking. My 15 year old PTI looks brand new, but it's been reglazed twice. We have four zippys in our family, all have been reglazed at least once.

I look at it like maintenance on a car.

My only wallet is a ZCP that I've had for over two and a half years and it still looks brand new. I don't baby it at all, it gets knocked around in my bag with loose keys and such. Mine is MIF but I don't know if that would make any difference to the quality. My Speedy is MIUSA and is perfect also.

I don't consider reglazing a quality issue unless the wallet is almost new. I get all my wallets periodically reglazed to stop them from cracking. My 15 year old PTI looks brand new, but it's been reglazed twice. We have four zippys in our family, all have been reglazed at least once.

I look at it like maintenance on a car.
this is interesting, i had no idea! thanks for explaining. just curious, what do they charge to reglaze? also, i would say any wallet that can go for 15 years, even with reglazing, is a triumph!

My zippy that is ONLY 13 months old the glazing is cracking by the zipper pull and on top. This is ridiculous! I've only used it sparingly, maybe 2 months tops. I wonder what LV will say.

carvedwords said:
My zippy that is ONLY 13 months old the glazing is cracking by the zipper pull and on top. This is ridiculous! I've only used it sparingly, maybe 2 months tops. I wonder what LV will say.

You'll either get lucky and they'll reglaze it free of charge or they will charge you for reglazing. Good luck!