Walking canes and bags...what style would be best?

cinshad

Dec 18, 2006
If a lady uses a walking cane, I was wondering which kind of bag would be most useful to her? Did a search and found nothing. Would a messenger be the best gift? Cross body? Hobo? She is a bit plump, and I doubt she would wear a fanny pack.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience or just out and about and seeing what ladies with canes carry? I just never paid much attention, and I want to surprise her so I do not want to ask her outright. She is not elderly, just had surgery and this is (I hope) a temporary problem for the next few months.

A cross body bag whould be the best especially one with a zipper across the top so there is no fumbling with flaps and/or turnlocks. At least that was what I personally found was best for me when I used a cane. I used one hand to support myself on the cane and the other hand to pull the zipper.
With a cross body there is no chance of dropping the bag and struggling to pick it up.

Ahh...the memories of when I had to use a cane. I fractured a bone in my foot and could not fully weight bear. I was in school at the time so I was using a backpack. It worked. I like the idea of a crossbody bag. However, if you go with that get one with an adjustable strap in case your friend does not want to wear it that way. It should also be lightweight and have a sturdy non-slip strap.