Workplace VP looking for reasons to fire me?!

Aug 14, 2006
If you have followed any of my posts so far you will already know that I have been having issues with work and struggling with my career in HR. In addition to not knowing if HR is right for me, I have been dealing with stressful situations at work, "Miranda Priestly" style bosses, an insanely suffocating micromanaging director, backstabbing, anxiety, you name it. However, I decided that I needed to change my mindset a little and work my butt off at least while I'm still in this career until I figure out what I really want to do. It seemed to have worked because in May not only did I receive a permanent offer from my current company (I was on a 1 year contract), it came with a major promotion. I'm still not sure if this is what I want to do forever, and I'm realizing that management is not where I aim to stay, but it's working for now. It will also look great on my resume should I decide to stay in HR.

For about a month I was feeling pretty good about things, I have been killing it here and people have been saying how they should have promoted me sooner and it's one of the best business decisions that has been made here in a long time. Even though this place is insanely fast paced, I don't find the actual work too stressful, and if it wasn't for the Out.Of.This.World drama, it would be a pretty great job. Even though the drama is non-stop, I have been fortunate to be kept out of it... Or, so I thought! I report to a director, who reports to a VP. In terms of the VP, it's her first job where she has actually managed a team and since she came on board in January 2016, the turnover rate in the department has been 74%. I'm pretty sure she bluffed her way into the role because none of her experience seems to line up with what she is actually required to do, but our CEO loves that she comes from a major brand and she's "fun and cute" so he seems to be turning a blind eye to the stats against her.

I have always had a pretty decent relationship with her. From a work perspective she has never had any issues with me (as far as I know), and we are able to have friendly conversations, which is something she lacks with a lot of people. I have seen her backstab and "strategically push people out of the organization" (her words), and although it makes me sick that she does that, I have never felt like I have any reason to be concerned about it happening to me. But what do I know, right?!

I was on vacation the first week of July and while I was gone, the VP had one of my direct reports let her into my office so that she can go through everything to "find gaps in my work processes". She had our IT manager give her access to my email (illegal in Canada by the way) so that she could "gain greater insight to what is on my plate". She then called each employee who has left the company since March and confirmed that what they said on their exit interviews was true (voluntary terminated employees sit with me for an exit interview in their final days with the company). She had the receptionist pull my fob history to make sure I come in every day when I say I do (I actually come in earlier and rarely leave on time, so that backfired on her). And, if that's not enough, she has set me up with some personality testing (HBDi DiSC and Meyers Briggs), again to "find gaps" in me.

So far she has found nothing on me and I'm very confident that she will continue to not find anything. However, I can't begin to explain how violated and betrayed I feel by all of this. My director thinks it's because she's intimidated by me because she keeps hearing how great of a job I'm doing, but that doesn't make sense to me. I'm on her team, she should be happy to hear those things! Is she trying look for reasons to fire me?! What is looking for?! Just, what is she doing! She obviously doesn't trust me, but I have given her absolutely ZERO reasons to ever feel that way.

I know that all of this is her problem, not mine, but that doesn't make it easier to come to work. I feel as though all of that motivation and engagement I felt a few weeks ago has completely gone out of the window. I can barely even look at her and coming to work has changed from something I almost enjoyed doing, to a huge sense of dread. It has taken me years to get a point where I enjoy my job and finally had the anxiety lifted and I feel as though I've been punched in the stomach. I now have to evaluate what I want to do.

Not sure what I'm trying to achieve by posting this.... but if you made it to the end, thank you for listening!

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I agree with your director. Typically, I've found the ones with the most to worry about go after their best resources as they view them as threats, rather than realize these are the people who make them look good

The one coping mechanism I had was when I found their errors. I'd bring it up as X happened as appropriate, without any blame or mention of who. They would be insistent we find out why/who did this to make sure it never happened again. When they did their due diligence and realize it was their mistake, they'd usually back off my case for a little bit.

Other than that, I really have no advice, but I hope it gave you some solace to get this out of your system.

Well, if you want to stay at your job (I have no earthly idea why you should, but to each his own...), you need to ingratiate yourself to your VP. Basically, you need to show that you're not a threat. Perhaps take a cue from the ***** cabinet members: praise her and thank her publicly for giving you the opportunity etc, etc... Stop talking to your Director about her (i.e. you questioning why she spied on you, etc...) -- you never know what gets back to your VP.

But if I were you, I would look to get out of your situation -- either change jobs or quit -- I could only take so much drama.

Reactions: leechiyong
could you possibly confront her.. ask why she went through the trouble of pulling up your files and etc. while you were gone? maybe ask her for a meeting to discuss what she might perceive as issues with your work. although you and others think you're great she obviously doesn't. maybe the reasons are there and maybe they are not, but perhaps if you could hear why she has an issue w/you it would help. you should look for ways to keep lines of communication open and maybe she'll share more openly. i don't think bailing on jobs is always the answer, b/c working w/difficult people will happen in all workplaces and you'll encounter it again and again. learning to work through issues and keep a good job is often best, imo

Who told you all these things happened? I wonder because you mentioned the insane amount of drama that occurs. Surprising there is so much detail about what a VP is doing.

Who told you all these things happened? I wonder because you mentioned the insane amount of drama that occurs. Surprising there is so much detail about what a VP is doing.

It's usually the VP that creates the drama and she gets everyone worked up by threatening them with their jobs. It was my director report that told me that she had her go through my office, the receptionist told me about the fob thing, my director told me about the email access and the exit interviews, and the VP herself told me about the personality testing plans. My director filled me in on each thing when I got back from vacation, which is now making me think that she's just to blame as the VP, and probably included in everything. I always felt as though I can trust her but I'm starting to feel otherwise now.

could you possibly confront her.. ask why she went through the trouble of pulling up your files and etc. while you were gone? maybe ask her for a meeting to discuss what she might perceive as issues with your work. although you and others think you're great she obviously doesn't. maybe the reasons are there and maybe they are not, but perhaps if you could hear why she has an issue w/you it would help. you should look for ways to keep lines of communication open and maybe she'll share more openly. i don't think bailing on jobs is always the answer, b/c working w/difficult people will happen in all workplaces and you'll encounter it again and again. learning to work through issues and keep a good job is often best, imo

This was my original plan, but when my director heard about it (she checks my calendar and saw the meeting invite), she freaked out and told me I would be fired if I dared to confront anyone.

Well, if you want to stay at your job (I have no earthly idea why you should, but to each his own...), you need to ingratiate yourself to your VP. Basically, you need to show that you're not a threat. Perhaps take a cue from the ***** cabinet members: praise her and thank her publicly for giving you the opportunity etc, etc... Stop talking to your Director about her (i.e. you questioning why she spied on you, etc...) -- you never know what gets back to your VP.

But if I were you, I would look to get out of your situation -- either change jobs or quit -- I could only take so much drama.

I think you're right. I actually enjoy the job but the drama is too much. My entire right side of my body has broken out in a huge ezcema rash since dealing with all of this and I'm waking up each morning physically sick from wondering what I will come into, and thinking about it all.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I agree with your director. Typically, I've found the ones with the most to worry about go after their best resources as they view them as threats, rather than realize these are the people who make them look good

The one coping mechanism I had was when I found their errors. I'd bring it up as X happened as appropriate, without any blame or mention of who. They would be insistent we find out why/who did this to make sure it never happened again. When they did their due diligence and realize it was their mistake, they'd usually back off my case for a little bit.

Other than that, I really have no advice, but I hope it gave you some solace to get this out of your system.

I like this approach. I feel as though it would cause more drama for me, but I do like the idea. It did help just to get this out of my head and put it "on paper". I was hoping it would seem less crazy if I typed it out, but that's turning out to not be the case.

Pink. Girl. You know what I'm going to say. GTFO. Along with everything else, this is not acceptable. She can bring you down, tarnish your reputation internally and possibly externally should she be involved in networking. I'm also concerned your Director does not have your back. This has doom for you written all over it. It's not an 'if' thing, it's a 'when.'

Hmm, to give the situation a spin, what if your VP suspects you are doing the work that the Director is taking credit for, or perhaps the Director is blaming you for her shortfalls? Maybe this has nothing to do with you. The Director seems to have huge issues, her response to the meeting is a huge flag. Tread carefully.

My mouth is on the floor reading this. As a Sicilian I would do the hit for free. Some of this is totally illegal in my part of the world.

Everyone has their own way of being and comfort level but the next time I encountered that witch I would smile and ask her if she found everything she needed and to please let me know if I can get her anything else. Then, just walk away. Don't be snooty, just sincerely offer and then walk away.

Honest people (of which you obviously are) hide nothing. And great employees like you should have no problem showing off how good you are. If she really wants to know, offer up your stellar job performance freely.

And let the insecure witch dig her own grave. She'll get bored and eventually move on to someone else. And eventually she'll hit someone with enough power or the ear of someone who does have the power to blow her clean away and out the door where she belongs.

I personally would take it as a badge of honor that I'm that good. My advice is stay out of the drama including blindly bringing up her actions unless you have someone like a direct manager who you know will support you.

And as a personal note, feel free to visualize the exit interview you will get to do with her when she's finally on her way out the door.

Congratulations on your promotion!
Good grief! With all the drama, when does any work get done in your department? LOL. Kidding aside, you are in a toxic environment where you have been bullied and psychologically abused. The KGB rampage through your office while you were away tops it off. Even if you aren't sure about your future career path, GTFO as one poster said, before the job destroys your health and your spirit. Be part of the 74% turnover.

Steps to take in the meantime, while you're job hunting:

-Start building a file in case you become the victim of wrongful dismissal. As an HR professional, you'll know what to include.

-Keep a detailed diary, which you keep at home.

-Do you have access to an Employee Assistance Program? If you do, go now! They will help give you tips on how to set boundaries, necessary when dealing with bullies.

-Are you unionized? Get them involved in preparation for filing a potential grievance.

-Visit your doctor to get your stress-induced eczema on record. In the absence of an EAP, get a doctor's referral to a psychological counsellor.

-Please don't spend a nano-second trying to decipher the motivations, or evaluate the credibility or credentials of your VP - wasted effort.

-Your Director is not your friend.

All best wishes, and good luck!

I think that after reading your work issues, mine seems like a walk in the park. I am so sorry that you are having to navigate this...

I guess it boils down to, how much you love this job, and if it's only her that is the issue. The 74% turnover rate, is it correlated with when she was in the company? Or is this the culture in general.

You mention changing your mentality, and that lead to you producing more and getting the promotion (congrats btw!).

I wonder if this is another hurdle you'll have to adjust to, or is it something that will end up being a deciding factor (for you to move on).

I wish I had better advice. My own advice would be to hang tight, continue to do the great work that you're doing, and document everything. If there is something that she emails you, questioning xyz, always answer as if they're going to look back on the communications if there was an investigation. Makes sense? Hopefully?

And to keep your attitude up. Don't let her and the games/pettiness, as hard as it is, get to you.

Give it a few months to reevaluate things and if it's really still that unbearable, for the sake of your own well being and mental health, I would suggest start putting out feelers, and see where else you can land. When it comes to turning in your resume, just let them know you're grateful for the opportunity and all that you've learned, but you're ready for a different environment.

Reactions: JolieS
And so it continues...

The VP and I just had it out this morning. Long story short, we had an executive coach come in last week to do HDBI profiles on our team. My director was upset that the VP was in the room and it turned into this big dramatic thing where the coach called out the director and asked what the issue is with the tension. The director blamed it all on the VP and not having any trust. VP then took director out for coffee on Friday to find out what is going on. Director filled me in on the meeting afterwards and let me know what was said and warned me that the VP will want to speak with me this week to discuss what happened. She said that I need to be careful with what I say so that I don't appear to be backstabbing...

The things that director told me happened on Friday does align to what VP told me this morning. However, VP seemed genuinely hurt by what I said and is standing firm that none of those things have happened and she is in shock that those things have been said to me. She did admit to reading my emails, she said she did it for two days when I was off and cut off the access when she found out it was illegal.

Now I feel even more confused! She said she's sure I'm feeling like I have no idea who I can trust and she doesn't know how to put a stop to all of this drama.

Frankly, I don't know why you're still there -- specially as you've said you don't need the job financially. I'm starting to think it's Stockholm syndrome.

The bottom line is that you're in a lose-lose situation here. It doesn't matter who you trust, because either way you'll anger someone higher up than you: your director or your VP. Unless you can maneuver your way out of it and somehow drop both (which will probably take scheming only seen in House of Cards), I say get out.

Holy smokes she is playing you like a fiddle. Go back and read your OP about all the things she's done, and is now denying all (except reading your emails) to your face. [emoji32]

@apey_grapey, you nailed it with Stockholm syndrome.

Or maybe, Pink, you like the drama??

Reactions: shiba
Seriously, if you want to stay, put your head down and stop getting involved in all of it. You will be the one on the sacrificial block.

BTW, don't you have a computer use policy as part of the conditions of employment?