Volunteering at local humane society

simseema17

Homo sapien
Jul 14, 2007
So I went to the volunteer orientation tonight at my nearby humane society. I'm hoping to volunteer 10-15hrs/month (not a lot I know, but I have a busy schedule!)

Has anyone else done this? What did you do? What did you like about it?

I'm also planning on testing one of my dogs for Therapy Dog in a couple of months so I'd also like to do that at a nearby hospital (preferably where my husband works)

Has anyone does this? Have any stories to share?

I'm excited about all of this....I was originally training my dogs into competition obedience but honestly I was getting a bit bored w/it....maybe I"ll go back to it though....any time spent w/dogs is a :tup: in my book :smile:

Simseema17 -- are we the same person?! LMAO!!

I volunteer at my local humane society for 8 hours/month as a dog walker. I LOVE it. It is so much fun, sooo rewarding, and best of all, you make HUGE impact on the lives of all of the animals!!!

In addition, I have begun the paperwork process to visit nursing homes with my Chi, Bentley (the black and tan one in my signature pic). Hopefully, we will start sometime next month. I am really excited about that as well! I think that we will try to do 1 hour/week at a nursing home :smile:

Are there any more specific questions I could try and answer regarding volunteering at the humane society? Please let me know!

:smile:

I can't say enough about therapy dogs! We used to just bring our dogs into the nursing home where my grandfather was and the residents would just crowd around, asking to give them treats and pet them. It really seemed to bring an extra little something to their day and everyone was just overjoyed to see them.

The nursing home also had some permanent-resident cats and rabbits and such and the residents really enjoying interacting with them as well.

Simseema17 -- are we the same person?! LMAO!!

I volunteer at my local humane society for 8 hours/month as a dog walker. I LOVE it. It is so much fun, sooo rewarding, and best of all, you make HUGE impact on the lives of all of the animals!!!

In addition, I have begun the paperwork process to visit nursing homes with my Chi, Bentley (the black and tan one in my signature pic). Hopefully, we will start sometime next month. I am really excited about that as well! I think that we will try to do 1 hour/week at a nursing home :smile:

Are there any more specific questions I could try and answer regarding volunteering at the humane society? Please let me know!

:smile:

That's awesome! That makes me more excited to do this! I hope the therapy dog work goes well w/you, it sounds so fun for everyone--a win win for everyone!

Sometimes I wish I had tPF members near me so we could hang out in person! :shame: None of my friends do what I like to do :shame: