Vintage Ruth Saltz Handbags

esquare726

Jun 12, 2010
Am I the only one here who is interested in Ruth Saltz bags? I've purchased two that were manufactured in the late 60s and early 70s that are in fantastic shape.
The designs are classic.

I receive compliments from other women every time I have one at my side.

I happened to have worked as Ruth's assistant upon my graduation from a NY City college in 1972. It was
a wild ride.
:biggrin:

Am I the only one here who is interested in Ruth Saltz bags? I've purchased two that were manufactured in the late 60s and early 70s that are in fantastic shape.
The designs are classic.

I receive compliments from other women every time I have one at my side.

I happened to have worked as Ruth's assistant upon my graduation from a NY City college in 1972. It was
a wild ride.
:biggrin:

I love Ruth Saltz bags! I have many. I write the blog A Vintage Ramble. Would you mind if I interview you for a Ruth Saltz blog?

I have the first handbag Ruth Saltz designed and probably every one there after, I also have her last name......She passed away last year, glad to see the love continues;)

I would love to see a picture of that bag. Can you post it? I'm setting up at the Manhattan Vintage Show this weekend but when I get back I would like to write a blog on Ruth Saltz. Any one who has info on her and is interested in being a part of it let me know. I will of course give credit. xxx This is a great forum! I can't wait to become more involved!

I found a Ruth Saltz purse at an antique store in Santa Barbara, CA. I had never heard of her before, so decided to not buy the purse. So sorry am I now. Very unique and well made. I am now a fan.:biggrin:

What a great article! :biggrin: A question: how popular did the bags become? Were they available outside of NY? I'm curious as to how many were manufactured during her career? And I assume Ruth died? I'm a lover of vintage too and these things fascinate me.

What a great article! :biggrin: A question: how popular did the bags become? Were they available outside of NY? I'm curious as to how many were manufactured during her career? And I assume Ruth died? I'm a lover of vintage too and these things fascinate me.
Ruth Saltz sold hundreds and thousands of handbags to every fine specialty and department store in the country. A major AMERICAN DESIGN COMPANY, Ruth Saltz handbags are a tremendous influence for designers today. A painter, sculptor and best of all a great talent, her influence is all around the accessory industry.
Thank you for your interest.
Marcella Saltz

Reactions: bromleygirl3
I wear Ruth Saltz handbags all the time, few collections back Marc Jacobs did his whole collection of framed handbags in all of my mothers old silhouettes..... Even Chanel did a Ruth Saltz framed handbag, quilted...exactly as she did in 1960-. People cannot believe I am carrying a handbag from like 1963.. and always fabulous...just as my mother was always fabulous and so talented.
I am a life time RUTH SALTZ fan.
Marcella Saltz

Reactions: bromleygirl3