Vintage piece help - fixable or send it back??

Sashie42

Apr 1, 2012
Hi all, I just purchased a 14 year old cosmetic pochette pm off Tradesy. The condition was listed as "gently used", and the ad listed it as very good condition. The canvas is in good condition, it's soft with no defects and the leather tabs are both patina'd and nice. The inside overall is in good condition as well, except for one small mark. I just have two questions:

1) the brass LV zipper pull looks like it is flaking, but the flaking looks red to me.. I can't tell what this is, as it doesn't look like typical brass flaking. Does anyone know when they stopped using solid brass pulls? And if the pull is solid brass, is that something that Brasso or something similar will fix?

2) this is my first pochette, so I'm not familiar - but the lining on the inside is flaking on both sides along the top. It almost looks like it's just been wrenched open so many times that the lining has split open.

Are these two things replaceable? Or are these things something you would return an item for? Has anyone had these two things replaced and care to share how much it was? I didn't get that good of a deal to spend too much.. But I would be curious. 😉

Thank you for any feedback! I will attach photos in the next response.

I would definitely send it back if you can. I bought a cosmetic pouch from a very reputable reseller who actually has an account here on tpf. I say that because I want to make it clear that the condition was 100% known when I purchased it, and I did so because it was being offered for such an amazing price. The canvas is still in impeccable condition, as well as the leather tabs on either side of the zipper. Just the other day LV put a new zipper pull on it for me free of charge. However, when I went into LV to inquire about pricing for replacing the lining, they told me that LV wouldn't work on any item over 10 years old, and that my lining was impossible to replace because it was "the old" lining. You can read about my saga with LV, the things I was told that others refuted, and how I still don't have the cosmetic pouch repaired in these threads! (Thread 1, thread 2.) There are also some pictures in there which you may be able to compare to what's happening with yours. Overall I'm happy to keep the item because the price of mine was amazing and the canvas is in impeccable condition. However, if I'm sitting in your shoes, I would return it for one that won't be such a hassle and cost you a lot of money to repair if LV doesn't give you the run around.

And just to mention as well, I brought my DE Neverfull in to LV just this past week to be sent in for a repair. That was the same trip where the SA put a new zipper pull on the cosmetic pouch. When I handed it over I gave her a bit of background on the piece, and she made some comment about how they couldn't replace the lining because it's attached to the canvas. I'm not really sure what she was talking about because I've read all over this thread about people getting their linings replaced. So that leads me to think maybe she was talking about my piece in specific because it's older and the lining is attached to the canvas in a different way than newer ones? I don't know, but I'm just giving you all the information I have so you have a heads up!

I've learned a lot about the Vuittonite lining tonight, that's for sure - and I'm not sure that's something that I'm interested in having!

I am going to go to my local boutique tomorrow, so we'll see what they say about repairing it.. I'm quite curious as to what they will offer, but if I can't get that fixed for a decent price, I'm going to have to send it back.. That flaking will drive me crazy! 😉

Well, went to the boutique today and was told that they WOULD replace my lining for me.. But that it would be $210 to get it done. Yikes, that's more than I got it for in the first place!!

Back it goes - thanks everyone for your help!

Hello, I am fairly new, so I was unable to start a thread of my own. I just won an auction for a fantastic preLVoed Porte Documents Voyage in Cipango Gold (I'd never seen the color, and I instantly fell in love.:woohoo:) Epi leather. It has scuffing and dirt on the corners, and I was wondering how I could fix/clean that. I am sending it off to LV at some point to get a pocket replaced, but I wanted to have it cleaned up first! I cannot figure out how to properly resize photos on my MacBook yet, but I was able to attach a picture of one of the corners. I will post before and afters once I have everything figured out! Thanks so much! All help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Louis Vutitton Porte Documents Damage Pic 2.jpeg
    Louis Vutitton Porte Documents Damage Pic 2.jpeg
    555.7 KB · Views: 162
Hello, I am fairly new, so I was unable to start a thread of my own. I just won an auction for a fantastic preLVoed Porte Documents Voyage in Cipango Gold (I'd never seen the color, and I instantly fell in love.:woohoo:) Epi leather. It has scuffing and dirt on the corners, and I was wondering how I could fix/clean that. I am sending it off to LV at some point to get a pocket replaced, but I wanted to have it cleaned up first! I cannot figure out how to properly resize photos on my MacBook yet, but I was able to attach a picture of one of the corners. I will post before and afters once I have everything figured out! Thanks so much! All help is greatly appreciated.

Hmm.. I don't own any Epi pieces, so I wouldn't be much help. Sorry!! I'm sure if did some searching on cleaning the Epi, you might find something? Or maybe one of these other lovely ladies has better ideas? 😋