Vintage Dooney & Bourke

Hi lonesomeoctober! This post caught my eye as you mentioned you've touch up some vintage AWLs with paint. Have you ever touched up a taupe bag? Am looking for paint brand/shade recommedations. Thx in advance!
Hoping to hear about a perfect taupe match. I painted mine but I didn't get the color exactly right. I'd like to try again.

Hoping to hear about a perfect taupe match. I painted mine but I didn't get the color exactly right. I'd like to try again.
I was looking at the Angelus leather paints online today and was thinking about getting both the Beige Taupe and the Gray Taupe, in case I needed to mix, Amazon & craft stores also carry it but here's a link to their page with all the colors: https://angelusdirect.com/collections/paint

Reactions: whateve
Woohoo! Just unboxed this today: I finally got my mitts on a vintage drawstring bag! I LOVE HER! I have not even cleaned it or conditioned trim yet. She's a little faded here and there but lovely. This is such an awesome design! It's a bag that tells a story! View attachment 4326017 View attachment 4326018
congratulations! I always wanted one of these tricolor drawstrings!

I was looking at the Angelus leather paints online today and was thinking about getting both the Beige Taupe and the Gray Taupe, in case I needed to mix, Amazon & craft stores also carry it but here's a link to their page with all the colors: https://angelusdirect.com/collections/paint
Here's a Taupe update: since my first post I snagged another vintage Taupe piece in amazing condition with following caveats: ink/pen inside, a good amount of wear to the bottom strips around the feet, and one small faded patch near the bottom where it looks like someone tried to remove a stubborn stain. This spot was about a couple shades lighter at least. I'm still a bit wary about using the Angelus paint on pebble and gave had really good results with shoe creams & conditioners on other bags. I have ordered a taupe shoe cream to try but in meantime I actually got my faded spot to blend in with something a bit crazy: I dabbed a little Howard's Feed & Wax furniture polish into the spot, buffed it real good and let it dry. I did that after noting that conditioner made the fade spot disappear but only for about a half hour. It is now a day after the Feed & Wax and the spot still looks blended in (see area squared off in red). I know I basically just darkened the leather with oils and beeswax but it did the trick for now. This spot is only about the size of a dime. I wouldn't use the Feed & Wax on awl all over.20190131_161238.jpg Capture+_2019-01-31-23-47-44.png

Here's a Taupe update: since my first post I snagged another vintage Taupe piece in amazing condition with following caveats: ink/pen inside, a good amount of wear to the bottom strips around the feet, and one small faded patch near the bottom where it looks like someone tried to remove a stubborn stain. This spot was about a couple shades lighter at least. I'm still a bit wary about using the Angelus paint on pebble and gave had really good results with shoe creams & conditioners on other bags. I have ordered a taupe shoe cream to try but in meantime I actually got my faded spot to blend in with something a bit crazy: I dabbed a little Howard's Feed & Wax furniture polish into the spot, buffed it real good and let it dry. I did that after noting that conditioner made the fade spot disappear but only for about a half hour. It is now a day after the Feed & Wax and the spot still looks blended in (see area squared off in red). I know I basically just darkened the leather with oils and beeswax but it did the trick for now. This spot is only about the size of a dime. I wouldn't use the Feed & Wax on awl all over.View attachment 4327748 View attachment 4327750
Great job. Glad it worked.

Reactions: VintageViv
Here's a Taupe update: since my first post I snagged another vintage Taupe piece in amazing condition with following caveats: ink/pen inside, a good amount of wear to the bottom strips around the feet, and one small faded patch near the bottom where it looks like someone tried to remove a stubborn stain. This spot was about a couple shades lighter at least. I'm still a bit wary about using the Angelus paint on pebble and gave had really good results with shoe creams & conditioners on other bags. I have ordered a taupe shoe cream to try but in meantime I actually got my faded spot to blend in with something a bit crazy: I dabbed a little Howard's Feed & Wax furniture polish into the spot, buffed it real good and let it dry. I did that after noting that conditioner made the fade spot disappear but only for about a half hour. It is now a day after the Feed & Wax and the spot still looks blended in (see area squared off in red). I know I basically just darkened the leather with oils and beeswax but it did the trick for now. This spot is only about the size of a dime. I wouldn't use the Feed & Wax on awl all over.View attachment 4327748 View attachment 4327750
@whateve - here's the latest on the taupe color matching! For touch ups I definitely recommend Saphir shoe cream in grey taupe. I got it from Amazon and used it to put the finishing touch on my fade spot. It looks darker in the jar but blended right in to the color of the bag! I dabbed the tiniest bit on with a qtip and buffed it good with a cotton ball. It is a bit pricey but worth getting if you have a lot of taupe pieces.20190207_161104.jpg 20190207_161022-1.jpg Screenshot_2019-02-07-06-25-02.png

@whateve - here's the latest on the taupe color matching! For touch ups I definitely recommend Saphir shoe cream in grey taupe. I got it from Amazon and used it to put the finishing touch on my fade spot. It looks darker in the jar but blended right in to the color of the bag! I dabbed the tiniest bit on with a qtip and buffed it good with a cotton ball. It is a bit pricey but worth getting if you have a lot of taupe pieces.View attachment 4333698 View attachment 4333699 View attachment 4333700
Thank you! Adding to my Amazon shopping list.

Reactions: VintageViv
Hi, new to Dooney & Bourke! Love these vintage styles. Where is the best place to look for them... eBay? X
I have found a lot of good deals on Ebay, but Dooneys also show up on Poshmark. They do turn up in thrift stores sometimes, especially if you have a thrift store that gets donations from wealthier areas, or upscale consignment shops. But D&B bags have been counterfeited a lot. I've seen a fair amount of fakes on Ebay. My best advice is really research what to look for in terms of bag features, styles etc. The Dooney blog on horsekeeping.com is a great place to start. A few tips rights off the bat: Dooney was never made in Korea (I've seen several fakes on Ebay that say made in Korea), several of the fakes have this bad imitation pebble leather with a sort of broken up sheen to it so train your eye to spot the difference, also study the duck logo design so you can spot copies, and be very wary about bidding/buying any bag that does not have the red, white and blue tag sewn inside. There are some pre-tag bags that don't have sewn in tags but in general most resold bags will. Good luck & happy hunting!

It’s been a while since I posted anything. Here is a recent acquisition from the Vintage Collection. I have one in solid British Tan too.
Beautiful! I love this bag! I'm taking a break from Dooney collecting but this style is definitely on my vintage wishlist. I just love the zippered outer pocket. And the red looks awesome! Good find!