vintage croc kelly or wait

Shout out to all the lovely ladies whom have chipped in their thoughts and recommendations - a heartfelt thank you.

I actually didnt expect so many replies. Thank you.

As I really am torn between this decision, and I cant share with those around me. Thank you so much for letting me know that I can reach out and voice my concerns. Thank you so much ladies, this really means a lot to me.

darling, thank you for your words of encouragement!! i may just pull the trigger!! the bag I am looking at does need a lot of work. i am glad to hear that Claude works magic.

Do you mind posting before/after pictures? What Claude can do basically makes or breaks the deal for me - the Sellier does not hold its shape at the corners - so it is in an awkward shape.
If you have access/link to the bag's photos, you could try posting pictures in Docride's vintage bag and leather care thread http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-r...ightmares-and-hermes-leather-care-295160.html
to see if she thinks how much work will be required on the bag. I've only dabbled into a couple of vintage H bags this year and I asked Doc first before taking the plunge. There are also other queries on that thread on other members' vintage croc/gator bags that you can research before deciding.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-r...ightmares-and-hermes-leather-care-295160.html

If you have access/link to the bag's photos, you could try posting pictures in Docride's vintage bag and leather care thread http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-r...ightmares-and-hermes-leather-care-295160.html
to see if she thinks how much work will be required on the bag. I've only dabbled into a couple of vintage H bags this year and I asked Doc first before taking the plunge. There are also other queries on that thread on other members' vintage croc/gator bags that you can research before deciding.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-r...ightmares-and-hermes-leather-care-295160.html

thank you dear Fabfashion, just posted in the thread,, nervously awaiting reply. in the meanwhile i shall be going through past post to learn a little more

I just looked at the listing and the 54 pictures included. I don't read the language so don't know what issues they've pointed out but the frame of the bag appears to be broken.

What is the asking price?

That's a severely damaged bag even at that price and from the photos I feel as though the seller is underestimating the damage a bit. A crack in croc can be even more serious than in other leather (and I wouldn't buy a cracked bag, period).

I SO understand (as do we all) the desire to find a gorgeous Kelly NOW NOW NOW...but breathe....you don't want to regret, and this bag won't be easily salable for the price you are paying (meaning, you cannot resell it easily if you decide it is not for you). If there is any water damage at all, even a drop, that too reduces its value.

Are you set on exotic? So many beautiful vintage box or other leather Kellys for under this price in a condition that will not need restoration, certainly not at this level.

Also...on that instant gratification thing...how will you feel if you buy the bag and then it needs to go to spa for six months or more? I would consider this as well....

A Kelly is a wonderful acquisition to be treasured...take your time....much luck :flowers:

good luck! post pics when you get it! i'm sure it would be stunning!

thank you dear baileylab, =) i shall!!
atm still trying to figure out what to do

I just looked at the listing and the 54 pictures included. I don't read the language so don't know what issues they've pointed out but the frame of the bag appears to be broken.

What is the asking price?

the best offer from seller is 5500 euros without CITIES
which i am also worried about - i have read in past posts that they may in fact be held up in customs without one
dh also said that its pretty beaten up

That's a severely damaged bag even at that price and from the photos I feel as though the seller is underestimating the damage a bit. A crack in croc can be even more serious than in other leather (and I wouldn't buy a cracked bag, period).

I SO understand (as do we all) the desire to find a gorgeous Kelly NOW NOW NOW...but breathe....you don't want to regret, and this bag won't be easily salable for the price you are paying (meaning, you cannot resell it easily if you decide it is not for you). If there is any water damage at all, even a drop, that too reduces its value.

Are you set on exotic? So many beautiful vintage box or other leather Kellys for under this price in a condition that will not need restoration, certainly not at this level.

Also...on that instant gratification thing...how will you feel if you buy the bag and then it needs to go to spa for six months or more? I would consider this as well....

A Kelly is a wonderful acquisition to be treasured...take your time....much luck :flowers:

dear whichcheese *bisous*
thank you for your thoughts
they all spoke to me and put me at ease - what i was hoping i may get from posting this thread.
especially because i would definitely need to send this bag to the spa for i'd agree sic months if not more.

in my case, i dont have anything particular in mind,, which makes things harder
its like i'm drawn to everything h
definitely a newbie syndrome. =)

thank you again for sharing your thoughts - they are invaluable
and in the mean time i shall try to calm down.

but oh everything h is so gorgeous
i think i can stalk fellow tpfers reveal =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear madisonmamaw, I've looked at the photos from your eBay link. Seems like the previous owner have stuffed a lot of things, or even big books or magazines into the Kelly. The corners are very much deformed (bag is not standing upright like a sellier croc K should be). I suspect holes may have even been created if you feel from the interior.....which there's no way a craftsman can fix. Vintage croc Kellys do come up from time to time, say at the Artcurial auction or other online biddings. I wish you the best of luck in getting your dream bag soon. 🍀

My bags did not need a lot of work. He basically touched up corners and nourished the skins. I was lucky to find these bags, took some time and lots of looking but was worth the effort.

:smile:

oh darling audreylita i just realized i missed this post
yay for your bag
i now know to have to be on constant look out for vintage bags for a while.

Way way way too much money for a bag with this much damage IMO.

thank you darling for your input,
i can now look away from this bag

so shiny though,,

Dear madisonmamaw, I've looked at the photos from your eBay link. Seems like the previous owner have stuffed a lot of things, or even big books or magazines into the Kelly. The corners are very much deformed (bag is not standing upright like a sellier croc K should be). I suspect holes may have even been created if you feel from the interior.....which there's no way a craftsman can fix. Vintage croc Kellys do come up from time to time, say at the Artcurial auction or other online biddings. I wish you the best of luck in getting your dream bag soon. ��

thank you dear luvb for your expertise on croc leather
i was not able to tell myself from those pictures,, i know all 54 of them
thank you also for your kinds words
i shall be on the look out =) from now on

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with others who posted that you should be patient. You'll know when you've found the one for you.

I had been casually searching for a couple of years and hadn't found anything that I loved; then I realized I didn't know exactly what I wanted. Once I narrowed down the size, color(s), and hardware, I found it soon after. The "vintage photos" and "Hermes in print" threads were very helpful as was the Miroslava Duma style thread. Hope this helps.

I love exotic and wish to one day find myself a gator/croc sellier K when DDs are older. Are you looking for a Hermes Kelly sellier or retourne? Most exotic Ks seem to be sellier so you'll have to like this style. I've seen beautiful vintage croc selliers that are 20-30-40 years old and are still in like new condition. The key is to find one from a reputable seller (check the recommended reseller list) and get it authenticated. Crocs are hardy. My mom has 5 bags from the late 60s and 70s that still look new and she doesn't baby them. One caveat is you can't get any water on it, not even a tiny droplet, it will leave a water stain. G'luck deciding.

first of all, let me start by expressing my gratitude to you all ladies reaching out
when i thought all the condolences lifted me out of misery
i found myself drawn to an affordable SISO bag - black shiny crocodile constance gold hw
//shall not post link as i learnt that we are not supposed to post counterfeits

i read up on past posts http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/birkin-look-a-like-7052-7.html and members debated on what counts as counterfeits or what have you

i really needed that post to draw me back to my own beliefs.
no offense to any other lifestyles and definitely not trying to preach
i personally in my own comfort zone would not have allowed myself to even look at photos of such items

to get back on topic, hence when i saw your replies
i was very grateful i have started this thread
bisous mon cheries

perhaps i am drawn to shiny things
then again arent we all, if not exotics then diamonds/ gemstone of choice

but thank you for letting me share my thoughts

Don't do it.
Try to be patient and the right bag will find you :smile:

thank you darling, that is my usual philosophy in life
when you are ready, everything falls into place
i think when a newborn and being in a new city without girlfriends really hit me hard

I agree with others who posted that you should be patient. You'll know when you've found the one for you.

I had been casually searching for a couple of years and hadn't found anything that I loved; then I realized I didn't know exactly what I wanted. Once I narrowed down the size, color(s), and hardware, I found it soon after. The "vintage photos" and "Hermes in print" threads were very helpful as was the Miroslava Duma style thread. Hope this helps.

dear Ada, thank you for your input
i have been on the socialite thread, page 510s now, almost up to speed with everyone
md is so tiny with great makeup //i have yet to master the art of make up myself
its always fun to look and see what members think of the outfits
i have just started vintage photos, and oh those sable furs with small framed face
i shall venture to hermes in print soon as per your recommendation

if you dont mind me asking, how did you go about narrowing down what you wanted?
its all so shiny and exciting to me that i cant concentrate
cant keep calm

I love exotic and wish to one day find myself a gator/croc sellier K when DDs are older. Are you looking for a Hermes Kelly sellier or retourne? Most exotic Ks seem to be sellier so you'll have to like this style. I've seen beautiful vintage croc selliers that are 20-30-40 years old and are still in like new condition. The key is to find one from a reputable seller (check the recommended reseller list) and get it authenticated. Crocs are hardy. My mom has 5 bags from the late 60s and 70s that still look new and she doesn't baby them. One caveat is you can't get any water on it, not even a tiny droplet, it will leave a water stain. G'luck deciding.

dear 84, sellier is a good model as it contrasts b's more IMO
somehow dh doesnt appreciate exotics
which is sad, although i probably will still get what i want, it would be nice if he enjoyed seeing those pieces on me
i do have trouble with water on my leather - its just out of my control
the swift leather i think tolerates reasonable amount of everyday water =)

Hi, I totally appreciate the need to have something right NOW because I am the same, but I think with an Hermes Kelly, especially exotic, it will really pay off to have patience. Sending you lots of encouragement to stay strong! I wouldn't buy the one you originally listed either. There is a nice used vintage condition and then there is used to the point of losing the beauty of the Sellier construction and silhouette. I am the happy owner of a vintage croc Kelly, one I bought after waiting quite a few years for the right one to come along. I haven't closed the option of looking for a new one either but this was the one for me first. Please do look at all the threads and try to narrow down what you love and will fit into your wardrobe effortlessly. If you want really bright pop colours then it's unlikely a vintage will suit you. In classic neutrals or subtle colours, possibly no strap included and brass hardware, you might find your grail. Best of luck, the members here will no doubt give you great advice and help when you need it!