Vintage Coach at Barney's

I'm not sure about that. While the "design" might be new, I think those are actually vintage bags, ie. bags made years ago, that are now being manipulated ... ie. "ripped and repaired".

While I can't say for sure how many owners they may or may not have had .... (like I said, there was a whole discussion somewhere around here about Coach buying up vintage bags and redoing them for Collette) ... I'm pretty sure those bags, including the ones at Barneys, actually *are* many years old.

If that weren't the case, why would they have this disclaimer in the listings ...

"Very Good to Pristine: Shows very minor to no indication of handling."

That quote is copied and pasted from the fine print down further in the Barney's listings. That's a mighty odd disclaimer to add for brand new bags made from scratch within the last year. :thinking: If the bag were brand new, would you really say it's in "very good to pristine" condition?

You are so right. I am wrong.

I actually couldn't believe it when I saw that in the fine print. Had to read it a couple times, saying, "Does this really mean what it sounds like? No, it can't ... can it?"

I actually couldn't believe it when I saw that in the fine print. Had to read it a couple times, saying, "Does this really mean what it sounds like? No, it can't ... can it?"
It says "handmade in New York City." I wonder if they all have NYC creeds rather than US creeds. If they have creeds, I don't believe they can be from 1973.

Did you read about the custom hangtag? It says "1 of 1" as if it is a limited edition of one, but of course, it isn't.

Under "Details" on each bag......

Details
About Coach Vintage
"Founded in 1941 as a family-run leather-goods workshop in New York City, Coach is a true pioneer in luxury bags. Through the visionary work of Creative Director Bonnie Cashin in the 1960s and ’70s, Coach developed iconic shapes and innovative leather treatments that established the company as one of America’s most celebrated accessories brands. A curated collection of these styles have been restored and playfully embellished by Coach Creative Director Stuart Vevers, modernizing them for today. The Coach Vintage bags are one-of-a-kind and ours exclusively."

Sounds like they took vintage bags in very good condition and embellished them.

It says "handmade in New York City." I wonder if they all have NYC creeds rather than US creeds. If they have creeds, I don't believe they can be from 1973.

Did you read about the custom hangtag? It says "1 of 1" as if it is a limited edition of one, but of course, it isn't.
Since each bag is unique and a vintage piece it makes sense to me that they could use the phrase "1 of 1", right? They aren't mass produced bags......

I'm not sure about that. While the "design" might be new, I think those are actually vintage bags, ie. bags made years ago, that are now being manipulated ... ie. "ripped and repaired".

While I can't say for sure how many owners they may or may not have had .... (like I said, there was a whole discussion somewhere around here about Coach buying up vintage bags and redoing them for Collette) ... I'm pretty sure those bags, including the ones at Barneys, actually *are* many years old.

If that weren't the case, why would they have this disclaimer in the listings ...

"Very Good to Pristine: Shows very minor to no indication of handling."

That quote is copied and pasted from the fine print down further in the Barney's listings. That's a mighty odd disclaimer to add for brand new bags made from scratch within the last year. :thinking: If the bag were brand new, would you really say it's in "very good to pristine" condition?

I noticed that too, most definitely implies they had previous owners.

Maybe "handmade" refers to the changes made to the original bags, such as fringe.