Vintage Clutch Stamp Mystery

Jan 20, 2009
I haven't posted in here for quite a while - since the search function was changed and I just couldn't find anything - must be an age thing and at the same time I added jewellery to my love of handbags! But, I have a mystery and despite searching most of yesterday I can't find any info so I am hoping the more knowledgeable ladies here can help. I bought a small vintage clutch which I am sure is authentic and two things about it confuse me.
1. There are beautifully made silver initials on the front. They look original. I have never seen this before on any Hermes bag but wondered if it was something you could request in the 30's/40's when this was probably made. It is in superb condition for its ago and looks to have been hardly used. I date at 1930's as it has the wrist strap seen in bags of this age and also a tiny pouch for a little mirror also sen with bags of this age.
2. The stamp on the front reads " HERMÈS 24 Fb St. Honorè PARIS". I have only ever been able to find older bags with HERMÈS PARIS, 24Fb St HONORÈ" and then the letters in Honore are upper case. Does anyone have an explanation for this unusual stamp? I thought it may be an early bag before the stamp was standardised?

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 16.43.36.png IMG_4565.jpg IMG_4566.jpg

I haven't posted in here for quite a while - since the search function was changed and I just couldn't find anything - must be an age thing and at the same time I added jewellery to my love of handbags! But, I have a mystery and despite searching most of yesterday I can't find any info so I am hoping the more knowledgeable ladies here can help. I bought a small vintage clutch which I am sure is authentic and two things about it confuse me.
1. There are beautifully made silver initials on the front. They look original. I have never seen this before on any Hermes bag but wondered if it was something you could request in the 30's/40's when this was probably made. It is in superb condition for its ago and looks to have been hardly used. I date at 1930's as it has the wrist strap seen in bags of this age and also a tiny pouch for a little mirror also sen with bags of this age.
2. The stamp on the front reads " HERMÈS 24 Fb St. Honorè PARIS". I have only ever been able to find older bags with HERMÈS PARIS, 24Fb St HONORÈ" and then the letters in Honore are upper case. Does anyone have an explanation for this unusual stamp? I thought it may be an early bag before the stamp was standardised?

View attachment 4732656 View attachment 4732657 View attachment 4732658

I can only go from mine (bags, both 1940s) and both (in straight lines) HERMÈS PARIS (first line) 24Fb St HONORÈ (second)

I can see there are variations within the 1930/'40s. There's a suit case that says:

HERMÈS (curved downwards)
PARIS (straight middle)
24Fb St HONORÈ (curved upwards)

I can only go from mine (bags, both 1940s) and both (in straight lines) HERMÈS PARIS (first line) 24Fb St HONORÈ (second)

I can see there are variations within the 1930/'40s. There's a suit case that says:

HERMÈS (curved downwards)
PARIS (straight middle)
24Fb St HONORÈ (curved upwards)

Thank you so much for your reply. It does seem likely then that there was some variation before they settled on a standard presentation.

Quite a few of my bags have my initials in discreet places but I rather like the bold initials on this little bag. So stylish too.

Reactions: papertiger
How fascinating. I imagine what happened to this clutch, from the purchase by Mrs. MCI to your purchase.
It must have seen various places, from the classiest environments last century to years spent in a cupboard, not forgetting some: "Oh, that old stuff ? Take it if you like..."
I also like to imagine what could have happened in my apartment ;)
Sorry I cannot help you by the way.
Do you plan to wear it, or is it just for the pleasure of a beautiful object ?

How fascinating. I imagine what happened to this clutch, from the purchase by Mrs. MCI to your purchase.
It must have seen various places, from the classiest environments last century to years spent in a cupboard, not forgetting some: "Oh, that old stuff ? Take it if you like..."

Hi, yes, we can only imagine the life of a 1930's socialite. Hermes has always been an aspirational brand so it would have been an expensive item even then.
I plan to use it as a travel wallet as it is the perfect size for my passport and travel itineraries and it will double as a small evening bag too.
I did have a similar Hermes one in croc about 8 years ago but my puppy had a good chew at it so I patched it up and sold it on ebay. It was so old and hadn't worn anywhere near as well as this one. The skin was as fragile as cardboard. The dealer that bought it has been trying to sell it ever since and whilst I sold it for approx £150 they are currently asking £3600!! Yikes.

• Haha
Reactions: Muffin_Top
Hi, yes, we can only imagine the life of a 1930's socialite. Hermes has always been an aspirational brand so it would have been an expensive item even then.
I plan to use it as a travel wallet as it is the perfect size for my passport and travel itineraries and it will double as a small evening bag too.
I did have a similar Hermes one in croc about 8 years ago but my puppy had a good chew at it so I patched it up and sold it on ebay. It was so old and hadn't worn anywhere near as well as this one. The skin was as fragile as cardboard. The dealer that bought it has been trying to sell it ever since and whilst I sold it for approx £150 they are currently asking £3600!! Yikes.
Your dog has such luxury tastes. I would have made myself a dog-fur clutch if it had happened to me.

I have three circa 1930’s clutches one of which has the strap on the back to slide your hand through for holding. I took a picture of the stamps on all three. There is a variation of the vintage stamps as shown in the last picture from circa 1940’s.
I’ve never seen a vintage stamp such as yours ending in Paris on the address line. It may have been a special order with the metal initial plate fastened to the front flap.
2C0634D6-D6D8-48FC-ADFF-0226D9DF0DC9.jpeg D4F87E0F-E8E1-4E72-8619-88FD45AA57FB.jpeg 49CF21B6-F602-44D1-A704-D842B74BEB44.jpeg E39F8B5B-57AD-4A44-B536-E14A4B116003.jpeg

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but can anyone identify the silver maker of the clasp on this clutch? There is a clear BH stamp and French argent massif marks too tiny to decipher. No year stamp on the leather, so pre-1945?IMG_3836.JPGIMG_3837.JPGIMG_3839.JPG

If these items could talk right? The stories they'd tell!

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Muffin_Top